Veterans' Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Dude View Post
    As always... thanks to the veterans out there.

But..... the history of this date is NOT boring!!!!! :)

Also, while we are celebrating the end of the Great War on this date, I find it interesting and notable that, worldwide, we are down to only 3 veterans of WWI.

Frank Buckles: an American ambulance driver on the Western Front;

Claude Choules: a member of the Royal Navy during WWI & the Australian Navy during WWII;

Jack Babcock: Canadian Vet who enlisted & was trained, but never saw any action before the war was over.
    Thanks to ironman for the Flanders Fields poem & the Abiding Dude for the above.

The only good thing about WWI was it ended romantic glorification of war forever. It blew away the patriotism, propaganda & grandiose ******** & revealed it for what it was: industrialized mass murder on a huge scale. That lesson should have been learned in the Civil War, but people are too soon to forget the horror of war.

Here's what the great Hemingway wrote about it & how the odds of surviving modern warfare are stacked heavily against the soldier. I read this aloud to a Literature class in grad school circa 1975 when Vietnam was still ongoing but thankfully ending. He had been a volunteer ambulance attendant in WW1 (like poet e.e. Cummings & Walt Disney btw) & they had to clean up the gruesome gore & deal with the nightmarish bloody mess, it made them all lifetime pacifists.

* War is no longer made by simply analyzed economic forces if it ever was. War is made or planned now by individual men, demagogues and dictators who play on the patriotism of their people to mislead them into a belief in the great fallacy of war when all their vaunted reforms have failed to satisfy the people they misrule.

* We in America should see that no man is ever given, no matter how gradually or how noble and excellent the man, the power to put this country into a war which is now being prepared and brought closer each day with all the pre-meditation of a long planned murder. For when you give power to an executive you do not know who will be filling that position when the time of crisis comes.

* They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for ones country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.

* Hit in the head you will die quickly and cleanly even sweetly and fittingly except for the white blinding flash that never stops, unless perhaps it is only the frontal bone or your optic nerve that is smashed, or your jaw carried away, or your nose and cheek bones gone so you can still think but you have no face to talk with. But if you are not hit in the head you will be hit in the chest, and choke in it, or in the lower belly, and feel it all slip and slide loosely as you open, to spill out when you try to get up, it's not supposed to be so painful but they always scream with it, it's the idea I suppose, or have the flash, the slamming clang of high explosive on a hard road and find your legs are gone above the knee, or maybe just a foot gone and watch the white bone sticking through your puttee, or watch them take a boot off with your foot a mush inside it, or feel an arm flop and learn how a bone feels grating, or you will burn, choke and vomit, or be blown to hell a dozen ways, without sweetness or fittingness: but none of this means anything. No catalogue of horrors ever kept men from war. Before the war you always think that it's not you that dies. But you will die, brother, if you go to it long enough.

Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter, first published in Esquire (September 1935)

It's 74 yrs. old but still true. I was there at the gravesides when they buried friends & family from Korea & Vietnam. Go see The Hurt Locker & you will know what I mean, all the logic & propaganda always gets lost in the fog of war & the end result yrs later is those rows of headstones.
    Last edited by LizardState; 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Veterans eat free at Applebees today.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
        Veterans eat free at Applebees today.
        Golden Coral too if you feel like having violent diarrhea

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Thank you to all our past & current service men & women.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Someone on facebook just said, "veterans deserve better than a holiday on a Wednesday" I called them out for not knowing this is Armistice Day. History-ignorant fools.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Thank You SO SO SO MUCH to all the Vets out there for all you do

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
                Golden Coral too if you feel like having violent diarrhea
                As opposed to an M.R.E. where it takes you a week just to poop again.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                  mmm, got to love that lack of fiber.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

A few years ago at a drill we were in the field in the morning and had an MRE for lunch and then had Golden Coral for dinner...my digestive system collapsed into a singularity, it didn't know what was what.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                      Many (most?) of you probably know this poem. But it's always been one of my favorites.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
                      Between the crosses, row on row,
                      That mark our place; and in the sky
                      The larks, still bravely singing, fly
                      Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
                      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
                      Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
                      In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
                      To you from failing hands we throw
                      The torch; be yours to hold it high.
                      If ye break faith with us who die
                      We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                      In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae
                      Remembrance Day ftw!

Comment

Yes, thank you all for your current or past service. What you do is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks Veterans. You guys are always in my prayers.

sig by fenikz
                          Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                          You are just a terrible person.
                          Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                          I have an iPhone.

Comment

At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                              At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding
                              Thanks. I just lost my appetite for the next week.

sig by fenikz
                              Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                              You are just a terrible person.
                              Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                              I have an iPhone.

Comment

I'm serious. You can't take a dump for a week, then when you finally do, you crap out a Louisville Slugger. You could build a bomb shelter with some of the turds I've put out after a month in the field.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information