Graphic Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Novels

So I've recently started getting into reading graphic novels, and I'm not very educated on what are the must haves as far as graphic novels go, so I thought to myself, "Where could I find a village of nerds who could help recommend me some of their nerd writings?" Then I thought to myself, "Duh Silly, goto NFLDC where nerds roam freely amongst one and other."

So what I am looking for is some recommendations for graphic novels that are sort of edgy (****** up books are encouraged) I'd also tend to prefer more realistic stories but I am not entirely opposed to the other worldly if it is well done. I also tend to be attracted to a more visually appealing novel with neat-o art.

So NFLDC I ask you, what are some great graphic novels?

Currently I own these three:

and

your sig is so awesome.
    Originally posted by SunTzu_22
    Just let it go RWO.
    We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw

Comment

Well, there's always some of the classics of course, but you've likely read well known ones like these already.

Originally posted by Jakey
      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
        your sig is so awesome.
        I was a little unsure of the board-wide reaction to my sig, but one thing I knew for sure, was that you would like it.

Comment

Graphic novels are being written now directly for screen adaption IMO, it's very easy to convert the comic panels to a film storyboard.

Frank Miller has made a whole career of this. I'm highly critical of him though, I really don't like the way he converted the Comics Silver Age classic Batman into some kind of Right Wing reactionary vigilante, & he took way too many liberties with historical accuracy in 300 with the Thermopylae battle -- & could he have been more homoerotic with the Spartans, c'mon? Like in all Hollywoodized adaptions the stars take their helmets off for photogenic purposes, in a battle I think they probably kept them on at all time.... you kept your head on that way, LOL. Sin City was an A+ novel series & film though.

From Hell about Jack the Ripper is an excellent graphic novel, so-so film. V For Vendetta ripped off George Orwell's 1984.

I prefer the Best American Comics anthology every yr. edited by a celeb cartoon artist (Charles Burns for 09), remember it for your XMas lists.
          Last edited by LizardState; 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

The Death and Return of Superman. I read that waaaaay back in the day.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              Graphic novels are being written now directly for screen adaption IMO, it's very easy to convert the comic panels to a film storyboard.

Frank Miller has made a whole career of this. I'm highly critical of him though, I really don't like the way he converted the Comics Silver Age classic Batman into some kind of Right Wing reactionary vigilante, & he took way too many liberties with historical accuracy in 300 with the Thermopylae battle -- & could he have been more homoerotic with the Spartans, c'mon? Like in all Hollywoodized adaptions the stars take their helmets off for photogenic purposes, in a battle I think they probably kept them on at all time.... you kept your head on that way, LOL. Sin City was an A+ novel series & film though.

From Hell about Jack the Ripper is an excellent graphic novel, so-so film. V For Vendetta ripped off George Orwell's 1984.

I prefer the Best American Comics anthology every yr. edited by a celeb cartoon artist (Charles Burns for 09), remember it for your XMas lists.
              Just about everything in the comic/graphic novel genre borrows/directly rips off something else though. X-Men somewhat ripped off doom patrol, Doom Patrol totally ripped off The Fantastic Four, the Fantastic Four ripped off Challengers of the Unknown, etc, etc, etc.

Originally posted by Jakey
              WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Anything by Daniel Clowes....Ghost World especially

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Maus By Art Spiegelman

Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Batman graphic Novels.
                    -The Long Halloween
                    -Dark Victory
                    -Knightfall
                    -The Hush series
                    -Year One
                    -The Killing Joke
                    -The Dark Knight Returns

All those good ones. I also liked Civil War from Marvel.
                    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                    RIP themaninblack

Comment

The Dark Knight Returns
                      Batman Year One
                      Batman: The Long Halloween
                      Watchmen

Comment

Comment

If you like Batman, there are plenty of great ones. Other than that, I'd definitely recommend The Complete Maus.

Comment

Preacher is one that I would recommend

Comment

Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
                              So I've recently started getting into reading graphic novels, and I'm not very educated on what are the must haves as far as graphic novels go, so I thought to myself, "Where could I find a village of nerds who could help recommend me some of their nerd writings?" Then I thought to myself, "Duh Silly, goto NFLDC where nerds roam freely amongst one and other."

So what I am looking for is some recommendations for graphic novels that are sort of edgy (****** up books are encouraged) I'd also tend to prefer more realistic stories but I am not entirely opposed to the other worldly if it is well done. I also tend to be attracted to a more visually appealing novel with neat-o art.

So NFLDC I ask you, what are some great graphic novels?

Currently I own these three:

and

Blackhole is awsome.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                              Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information