Help A Complete Computer Noob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help A Complete Computer Noob

So, up until about last week my computer of 3.5 years has always run well and been virus free. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but last week I installed skype and ever since then my computer has been lagging and freezing up on me whether or not I'm on the Internet.

I tried installing avasts free virus junk but it hasn't really helped. Any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
    RIP themaninblack

GET A NEW ONE!!!!!!! J/K, I know 95% of our kind are broke/homeless.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
    I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

Try down loading COMODO Firewall software, that is what I use and it does a great job.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Uninstall skype, maybe check what programs are running. Perhaps you have a program that is running and you don't even know it, eating a chunk of your memory.

Follow Me on Twitter!
        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

yeah something is probably eating up a good chunk of your ram up.

Run disk clean up, and then disk defragment, also try turning your settings into like windows classic the gray and blue, eats up a lot less ram. If that fails use General Clean Tool, just google it.

And if that doesn't work maybe you have a trojan, in that case you need rkill and malware bytes.

And if that doesn't work either...install more ram?

Comment

Thanks guys, turns out I had some programs running that I didn't even know about that were using up my memory. I wouldn't have even known if the little bubble hadn't popped up in the bottom right corner. Took it long enough to tell me though considering I've had this problem for about a week. lol
            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
            RIP themaninblack

Comment

I'd also try using AVG antivirus free, It's way better than avast.

sig by fenikz
              Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
              You are just a terrible person.
              Originally posted by bigbluedefense
              I have an iPhone.

Comment

Sophos is even better if you can get it. AVG is good, but school districts are moving away from it because it lets so much stuff through.

Comment

I know the problem is solved, but if you're seriously worried about viruses/malware and such, run mozilla firefox with the addon - noscript.

nod32 is the top of the line in anti virus but it's pricey (if only there was a way around that ^_-)

Dump avast. I would second AVG (I just put it on my mom's new laptop). I never tried Sophos so I'll remain impartial to it.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

Comment

My school district just switched to it. I've been impressed.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information