Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The third computer help thread in 2 days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The third computer help thread in 2 days?

    So I turn on my computer and I have a checksum error. I power off and pop out the CMOS battery. Wait like a half an hour and pop it back in and power on.

    No more Checksum error but now I have "please insert system disk and press enter" I go into the BIOS and make sure that I boot process had the hard drive to boot up first. It does. I then thought my HD went out. That sucks but I have two, so I power off and unplug the master HD (where vista is insalled) and go to install vista on my secondary drive. It goes through and looks like it's insalling, but then the screen went black. I left it there for like 10 mins, nothing was happening. I power off again and thought that maybe I unplugged the wrong HD. I switch the ones I had plug and unplugged and try to power on but it never posts. Fans are on, lights are on, no beep code, but it doesn't post. I switch around the HD's again, same thing, then plug them both back in and same thing.

    I changed the CMOS battery thinking maybe the battery was dead, still doesn't post. Now I'm quite frustrated and don't know what to do next.

    Any ideas?

    Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

  • #2
    1) Invite someone you secretly hate over for drinks.
    2) Get them so drunk they pass out.
    3) Piss all over your computer. (Probably will feel good)
    4) In the morning, blame it on the person you hate and make them pay for it.
    Last edited by kalbears13; 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      It might be a motherboard error.. This happened to me a while back lol but my guess might be off.

      Comment


      • #4
        I took all my ram out and borrowed a 2gb stick and it still won't post. I thought bad memory, but doesn't look like it.

        Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
        1) Invite someone you secretly hate over for drinks.
        2) Get them so drunk they pass out.
        3) Piss all over your computer. (Probably will feel good)
        4) In the morning, blame it on the neighbor and make them pay for it.
        LOL

        Originally posted by MiWolves View Post
        It might be a motherboard error.. This happened to me a while back lol but my guess might be off.
        I actually think your right. I think it has something to do with the mobo.

        grrrr.

        Any other ideas?

        Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

        Comment


        • #5
          I've had this happen. I had to flash the bios on my board. Also unplugging everything over night and replugging them can work...let all the charges drain from the MB and then try again in the morning.

          Comment


          • #6
            Most likely either CPU or Mobo, either way you are basically up for both unless the PC itself is fairly new. The other possibility is the PSU, though that seems very unlikely. Though if you are running a crossfire or SLI setup maybe try pulling a card and see if that helps, obviously no other real way to test if you are in a standard setup as that's about as basic as you can get otherwise.


            Props to BK on the sig!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Thule & Wogitalia. I have everything unplugged (no sli currently) and will try again in the morning and worse case scenario, I'll take it to the local pc repair shop and pay to have someone confirm what I already know, a piece of the hardware went bad.

              I built the PC in '08 I believe, so the warranties should all be null by now.

              Oh well, I was thinking of upgrading anyways, I currently have an E8400 dual core 3.0ghz cpu, 4x1 gb ram, 850w psu, 8800gt gpu, dfi lan party dark mobo (i went cheap on the mobo so it doesn't even have sli capabilities) creative labs xtreme gamer x-fi sound card and my 2 HD's (150gb 10k raptor and a 500gb 7.2 cavier).

              Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

              Comment


              • #8
                Geek Squad/ computer company.

                sig by fenikz
                Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                You are just a terrible person.
                Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                I have an iPhone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by j05son View Post
                  Thanks Thule & Wogitalia. I have everything unplugged (no sli currently) and will try again in the morning and worse case scenario, I'll take it to the local pc repair shop and pay to have someone confirm what I already know, a piece of the hardware went bad.

                  I built the PC in '08 I believe, so the warranties should all be null by now.

                  Oh well, I was thinking of upgrading anyways, I currently have an E8400 dual core 3.0ghz cpu, 4x1 gb ram, 850w psu, 8800gt gpu, dfi lan party dark mobo (i went cheap on the mobo so it doesn't even have sli capabilities) creative labs xtreme gamer x-fi sound card and my 2 HD's (150gb 10k raptor and a 500gb 7.2 cavier).
                  That's a lot of porn.




                  2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                    That's a lot of porn.
                    ^_-
                    10char

                    Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Did you try flashing the bios on the MB....it's definitely worth a shot although a minor pain to do...save yourself some money if that fixes the issue.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Did you try flashing the bios on the MB....it's definitely worth a shot although a minor pain to do...save yourself some money if that fixes the issue.
                        I would also say it is worth doing.

                        It does seem most likely that the Motherboard is causing the problems, Mobo's can be a pain when they go because of how fast all the other parts become outdated.

                        Also, seems almost impossible that setup would cause a PSU issue, so I think it's safe to rule that out.

                        I took all my ram out and borrowed a 2gb stick and it still won't post. I thought bad memory, but doesn't look like it.
                        Missed this before, but when you changed it over did you ensure that all the RAM timing and such were set right for the new stick in your setup? If it is the RAM the new stick may have different settings. You can ignore this if you don't overclock at all and just let the Mobo pick your settings ;)


                        Props to BK on the sig!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X

                        Debug Information