No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White does not have all star potential, give me a break. He's a middle of the rotation guy AT BEST. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Pomeranz has the potential to be very good but not fully great, White is overrated, and Matt McBride is nothing special.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• White will be a solid #3.

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
        one of the best leadoff hitters in the game.
        In that he's one of 30 leadoff hitters in baseball, yes.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          In that he's one of 30 leadoff hitters in baseball, yes.

Explain to me how he isn't? OBP is by far the most important part of leading off and Span is very good at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
            Explain to me how he isn't? OBP is by far the most important part of leading off and Span is very good at it.
            That .331 OBP last year is terrifying.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I find the whole concept of a leadoff hitter ridiculous anyway. If I can have 9 players in my lineup who each hit 50 homeruns, I don't so much care if their OBP is over .350 or whatever.

Also, if you do hold a special affinity for the leadoff spot as having particular value, Span has 4 steals so far this year.

He's a slightly above average starter. I don't know where I rank him as a leadoff hitter, but he's not a top 100 hitter in general.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                That .331 OBP last year is terrifying.

Way to pick the one year under .361. And that's still better than some leadoff guys out there, which is a testament to how terrible the the overall status is of the position.

Comment

I find the whole concept of a leadoff hitter ridiculous anyway. If I can have 9 players in my lineup who each hit 50 homeruns, I don't so much care if their OBP is over .350 or whatever.

Also, if you do hold a special affinity for the leadoff spot as having particular value, Span has 4 steals so far this year.

He's a slightly above average starter. I don't know where I rank him as a leadoff hitter, but he's not a top 100 hitter in general.
                  Steals don't really measure the value of a leadoff hitter nearly as much as OBP, which is why Ozzie and Fredi Gonzalez are jackasses.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

I find the whole concept of a leadoff hitter ridiculous anyway. If I can have 9 players in my lineup who each hit 50 homeruns, I don't so much care if their OBP is over .350 or whatever.
                    Well, no kidding. But that's impractical for most teams. So the goal is to have guys on base for the middle of the order.

Steals are pretty overrated unless you're stealing them at a really good clip.

Comment

White does not have all star potential, give me a break. He's a middle of the rotation guy AT BEST. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. Pomeranz has the potential to be very good but not fully great, White is overrated, and Matt McBride is nothing special.
                      well he's a #2/#3 at best. All-Star potential doesn't mean he is gonna be an ace. Didn't the Giants have 3 or 4 all-star game pitchers this year? Jake Westbrook has made a couple all-star games, White's upside is that he will be much better than Westbrook. The guy was drafted in 2009 and was pitching 95 MPH and looking good in the major leagues this year before he got hurt. He was one of our top 3 prospects in the entire organization along with Pomeranz and Chisenhall. Pomeranz is a lefty who will be a #1 or #2. The fact that Colorado got both of those guys is a major coupe on their part.

Comment

• Derrek Lee to the Pirates looks pretty close. Meh. At least it's better than Overbay.

Comment

• What is it with the Pirates and garbage first baseman? Jesus, it's not that hard to find one that can hit.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

What is it with the Pirates and garbage first baseman? Jesus, it's not that hard to find one that can hit.
                            I think my dead great grandmother is better than Overbay, so Lee is an upgrade. Your point is still valid, though.

Comment

• Lee is a small upgrade, he's still brutal. If you give up anyone who doesn't suck or has the potential to not suck in the future it's a bad trade.

Comment

• Sounds like it's Lee and cash for an A ball hitter. As long as it's not Robbie Grossman or Mel Rojas Jr, it's a win for the Pirates.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information