No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This V-Mart news sucks...Not sure there is a viable option to replace him left on the market.

Comment

• If I'm Dave Dombrowski, I'd sign Carlos Pena (1-year, 6 million should get it done) to "replace" V-Mart. Word is, they have about 6-7 million to work with because they insured VMart's contract to guard against an injury like this (had no idea teams could do this, but they can).

Then, I'd sign Roy Oswalt and hope that a pitching staff with a complete 5-man rotation and an above average bullpen can make up for the lack of offense.

Forget Cespedes. Just walk away from the bidding and let him be some other team's huge risk.

Then they've saved their prospects and can deal them for whatever sort of offense they need most at the deadline.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Trumbo and Wells for Miggy Cab and Jacob turner

done deal.

Comment

• D'Backs decide to resign Saunders after all

Kennedy
          Cahill
          Hudson
          Saunders
          Collmenter

Miley AAA
          Bauer AA
          Skaggs AA

Comment

• so darvish signed with the Rangers. Pretty much expected but now it's a done deal

Comment

• $102 million total for Yu between posting fee and contract.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• you know, the Tigers are gonna put up some insane numbers offensively this year with Cabrera and Fielder in the heart of that lineup. Cabrera in the 3-hole will without a doubt put up MVP numbers this fall. That's too much power to pitch around.

However...that infield defense is going to be awful. Cabrera at 3rd!? He wasn't even a great defensive first baseman and will have no range with his speed on the hot corner. It is well established how bad Fielder is defensively at first base. Some of the worst defensive numbers we've seen at first base last year, I was sure he would sign with an American League team this year as a DH. He sure isn't helping the team by playing the field. on top of those two terrible defensive corner infield spots, they have Peralta and his pathetic range at short stop. Gonna be a lot more base hits than there should be given up by the Tigers this year. Defense is a very underrated part of the game as well. Not 100% sure how much better the Fielder move makes the Tigers this year considering they won't have Victor in the lineup at DH, but they should still be able to hang onto the Central considering the Indians (as usual) didn't sign any real free agents and Carmona is in limbo with legal troubles.

Just my 2 cents on the Fielder signing.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                  you know, the Tigers are gonna put up some insane numbers offensively this year with Cabrera and Fielder in the heart of that lineup. Cabrera in the 3-hole will without a doubt put up MVP numbers this fall. That's too much power to pitch around.

However...that infield defense is going to be awful. Cabrera at 3rd!? He wasn't even a great defensive first baseman and will have no range with his speed on the hot corner. It is well established how bad Fielder is defensively at first base. Some of the worst defensive numbers we've seen at first base last year, I was sure he would sign with an American League team this year as a DH. He sure isn't helping the team by playing the field. on top of those two terrible defensive corner infield spots, they have Peralta and his pathetic range at short stop. Gonna be a lot more base hits than there should be given up by the Tigers this year. Defense is a very underrated part of the game as well. Not 100% sure how much better the Fielder move makes the Tigers this year considering they won't have Victor in the lineup at DH, but they should still be able to hang onto the Central considering the Indians (as usual) didn't sign any real free agents and Carmona is in limbo with legal troubles.

Just my 2 cents on the Fielder signing.
                  You're pretty late to this party. Saying the Tigers infield will be poor defensively is obvious. But everyone needs to calm down about Cabrera being totally INCAPABLE of playing third base until we've seen it.

He's already lost weight, is continuing to lose more, and had gone to team management PRIOR to the possibility of signing Fielder and expressed his desire to play some third base this season. It's something he wants. This isn't a Hanley Ramirez situation where a player is not motivated to change positions. Cabrera has the arm and the hands to play a capable third base. It's his range that's the issue.

Also consider that Fielder is essentially replacing BRANDON INGE (.200 average, no power) in the lineup, not Victor Martinez. The difference in their hitting ability far outweighs the cost of the move defensively. There is hardly a larger gulf in offensive production anywhere in the majors than Fielder to Inge.
                  Last edited by Xiomera; 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM.
                  R.I.P. L.E.F.
                  "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                    You're pretty late to this party. Saying the Tigers infield will be poor defensively is obvious. But everyone needs to calm down about Cabrera being totally INCAPABLE of playing third base until we've seen it.

He's already lost weight, is continuing to lose more, and had gone to team management PRIOR to the possibility of signing Fielder and expressed his desire to play some third base this season. It's something he wants. This isn't a Hanley Ramirez situation where a player is not motivated to change positions. Cabrera has the arm and the hands to play a capable third base. It's his range that's the issue.

It's not a total disaster until it is.
                    Wait until he hits those Florida bars during ST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post

Also consider that Fielder is essentially replacing BRANDON INGE (.200 average, no power) in the lineup, not Victor Martinez. The difference in their hitting ability far outweighs the cost of the move defensively. There is hardly a larger gulf in offensive production anywhere in the majors than Fielder to Inge.
                      But (for this season at least) he's not replacing Inge. Some other player is replacing Inge and Fielder is replacing Martinez. Now in 2013 it'll probably be Cabrera-Fielder-Martinez in the middle of that lineup and that will be an unstoppable force, but for this season I don't think the gains in the lineup will make up for the ineffifiencies in the field. Even if Cabrera is a little better than we think he'll be at third base, he won't be good at third. Having bad range instead of terrible range isn't that big of a deal when you have Peralta at short and Fielder at first to enhance that. It's okay to have a guy like Cabrera at third if you have in incredible middle infield like Alomar/Vizquel back in the late '90s, but that's not the case.

In any even, I definitely will be tuning in to some Tigers games to see how their infield holds up (and of course to see some Fielder/Cabrera fireworks at the plate).

Comment

• Makes Eastbound and Down look like a documentary...

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                          Wait until he hits those Florida bars during ST.
                          Cabby doesn't drink anymore. He sat in the corner quietly while everyone was drinking and celebrating the division title and the series win over the Yanks.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                            Cabby doesn't drink anymore. He sat in the corner quietly while everyone was drinking and celebrating the division title and the series win over the Yanks.
                            Hamilton doesn't drink anymore either. I heard that until pictures came up on the internet of him partying with dancers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                              Hamilton doesn't drink anymore either. I heard that until pictures came up on the internet of him partying with dancers.
                              Cabby isn't a recovering heroin addict that has serious impulse issues. He just drank a lot here and there, and he's not nearly as bad.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                                Cabby isn't a recovering heroin addict that has serious impulse issues. He just drank a lot here and there, and he's not nearly as bad.
                                Whatever gets you through the night.

At least Hamilton never did it before the biggest game of his career at the time. At least that we know of. It's only a matter of time before he hits the bottle hard again. He's a moron.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information