No announcement yet.

MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez, A's are still in first place. Two incredible shutout wins scoring 10 and 11 points respectively.

Now if only Rajai Davis would find his seat on the bench...

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
      Geez, A's are still in first place. Two incredible shutout wins scoring 10 and 11 points respectively.

Now if only Rajai Davis would find his seat on the bench...
      How do you acquire points in baseball?

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Dioner Navarro suspended 2 games.

Thanks MLB!

Comment

• From MLBTR-

John Tomase of the Boston Herald notes that modifications in Fangraphs' UZR model make Jason Bay's defense look a whole lot better. Fangraphs' latest UZR update included adjustments for specific ballparks like Fenway, and improved Bay's 2009 UZR from -13.8 to +1.9. As Tomase indicates, Bay and his agent probably would've liked that change made before Bay signed his four-year deal this winter.
          That pushes up Bay's War to .5 run behind Holliday to all those who were killing Bay's defense and the contract.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• What were these adjustments. This is what I hate about defensive metrics. You don't know exactly what these adjustments are. Fenway is probably the easiest left field to play in all of baseball once you get the bounce off the wall down. So little room to cover.

Comment

• The Bay deal still sucks.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                What were these adjustments. This is what I hate about defensive metrics. You don't know exactly what these adjustments are. Fenway is probably the easiest left field to play in all of baseball once you get the bounce off the wall down. So little room to cover.
                Yeah but it also hurts for doubles off the wall because it registers as a non catch. They adjusted for quirky stuff in ballparks like Fenway, Talls Hill in Houston, and some others.

Here's the link: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/uzr-updates
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                  The Bay deal still sucks.
                  Not really considering mostly everyone was killing it because of the defense factor. Just from watching him everyday so far you can tell he's not as bad as UZR had him. He has pretty good range going back and towards the stans. I was expecting a butcher out there but that's been far from what we've got.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    Not really considering mostly everyone was killing it because of the defense factor. Just from watching him everyday so far you can tell he's not as bad as UZR had him. He has pretty good range going back and towards the stans. I was expecting a butcher out there but that's been far from what we've got.
                    Haha. He's good on defense, but now he can't hit. Complete role reversal.

Comment

He's a mediocre defender at best, and his bat is going to deteriorate. It's not a $25 million per year albatross like Howard's is going to be, but it's pretty ******.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                        He's a mediocre defender at best, and his bat is going to deteriorate. It's not a $25 million per year albatross like Howard's is going to be, but it's pretty ******.
                        I agree I'm not saying we should now consider him one of the best defensive LF'ers. His bat has been pretty consistent besides the one year he was having knee issues. Even if he starts to decline in 2012 he'll still be an above average hitter.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I was waiting for Morgan's response on Howard's contract.

Joe (LA)

Is Ryan Howard really worth 25 mil/year?
                          Joe Morgan (11:08 AM)

Well, let's put it this way. If Joe Mauer is worth 23 or so. A guy that hits 40 plus HRs and drives in 140 runs a year and Joe Mauer has never done that, then I would say yes. Howard produces numbers and that's what we've come to in this game is about numbers. I don't necessarily like the fact that it's about numbers, but he produces them. It also begs to question, what is Albert Pujols worth?
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I was waiting for Morgan's response on Howard's contract.

Oh how I wish he was in an AL central front office. You NL Central bastards are lucky.

Comment

• Man I wish Fire Joe Morgan was still posting new articles.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The absolute worst part of the deal is that it doesn't kick in until after 2011. So he's still playing under his current contract and the 25 million a year doesn't start until the 2012 season.

That being said, I still think Howard is worth a lot more than people around here probably give him credit for. Just not 25 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information