MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
    Score keepers change calls all the time after games, why cant umps?
    Because scorekeeping doesnt actually effect the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
      I don't think it really compromises anything. The outcome of the game was not in question.

There is nothing wrong with setting this precedent. It's this stubbornness and unwillingness to do the right thing that makes me hate this sport. MLB needs to learn to adapt.
      It really compromises everything. There needs to be consistency and for that to happen MLB would have to overrule every bad call made at 1B from here on out which would be impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
        This. It sucks for Galaragga and all, but bad calls happen and tons have happened before that weren't changed. The best thing that can come from this is a new replay system which should have been around all along. I don't see what is stopping them from having a football like challenge system. Baseball and football games are the same length anyway it's not like the slowing down the game issue is that big of a deal.
        Baseball doesn't even need a challenge system. It just needs a Common Sense Doctrine for overturning calls that are immediately deemed incorrect or for close calls that stand to determine the outcome of a game at a pivotal point.
        R.I.P. L.E.F.
        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

• Also someone brought this up before but how many times has an ump blown a call in the 3rd inning that cost the pitcher a perfect game? Why is that any different than when it's the last play of the game?

Comment

Baseball doesn't even need a challenge system. It just needs a Common Sense Doctrine for overturning calls that are immediately deemed incorrect or for close calls that stand to determine the outcome of a game at a pivotal point.

All calls play a part in determining the outcome a game...you need to be consistent. Can't just pick and choose

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
              It really compromises everything. There needs to be consistency and for that to happen MLB would have to overrule every bad call made at 1B from here on out which would be impossible.
              No it doesn't. Because no one disputes or even cares about a safe or out call the next day if it doesn't change the outcome of a game or negate something historic like this.

There's only a handful of instances when a single call like this was SOLELY responsible for the outcome of the game OR the prevention of a historic achievement.

The Matt Holliday safe at home call in Game 163 vs. SD is one example, but there aren't many more.
              R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

All calls play a part in determining the outcome a game...you need to be consistent. Can't just pick and choose
                No they don't. Just as we argued in the hockey thread, calls tend to even out over the course of a game, but if there is no opportunity for the calls to even out (because the game is determined then and there by a missed call), then by all means, find a way to prevent such calls. It's all about verification.

If instant replay is put in place, there will obviously be a strict list of circumstances that can be reviewed. Anyone who argues that instant replay will compromise baseball is clearly just a fan who hasn't been on the wrong end of an important call. They have it in every other sport.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

No it doesn't. Because no one disputes or even cares about a safe or out call the next day if it doesn't change the outcome of a game or negate something historic like this.

There's only a handful of instances when a single call like this was SOLELY responsible for the outcome of the game OR the prevention of a historic achievement.

The Matt Holliday safe at home call in Game 163 vs. SD is one example, but there aren't many more.
                  Again...every single call(right or wrong) effects the game. For example today Sean Rodriguez rounded third and scored but the ump said he didn't touch third base and was called out, even though he did touch the bag. Instead of the score being 2-2 it was then 2-1. This clearly effected the outcome of the game(even if it did end in a blowout). You think MLB should retroactively switch this call?

Comment

• Managers would have the option to pick and choose if you went with an NFL type system

Comment

No they don't. Just as we argued in the hockey thread, calls tend to even out over the course of a game, but if there is no opportunity for the calls to even out (because the game is determined then and there by a missed call), then by all means, find a way to prevent such calls. It's all about verification.

If instant replay is put in place, there will obviously be a strict list of circumstances that can be reviewed. Anyone who argues that instant replay will compromise baseball is clearly just a fan who hasn't been on the wrong end of an important call. They have it in every other sport.
                      You can't just use that reasoning to justify that every call doesn't affect the game. As the person who bitches the most about reffing in the NHL thread...I expect you to understand this

I am not against instant replay. I am against retroactively changing calls under any circumstance.

Comment

• Wow. 2nd base ump blows a call every bit as bad as the Detroit call to give the Mariners the win over the Twins. What a joke.

Comment

Again...every single call(right or wrong) effects the game. For example today Sean Rodriguez rounded third and scored but the ump said he didn't touch third base and was called out, even though he did touch the bag. Instead of the score being 2-2 it was then 2-1. This clearly effected the outcome of the game(even if it did end in a blowout). You think MLB should retroactively switch this call?
                          No, I don't think they should fix that call. I think they should have had replay in place to fix that mistake in roughly 30 seconds time.

MLB can fix this because it DID NOT effect the outcome of the game AND represents a significant blemish on the history books. For a sport with such a rich history, they sure as hell don't try very hard to ensure that it remains untarnished.
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Wow. 2nd base ump blows a call every bit as bad as the Detroit call to give the Mariners the win over the Twins. What a joke.
                            I mean obviously it should be switched tomorrow. I wouldn't worry and if MLB doesn't, well, they are acting like dinosaurs then.

Comment

Wow. 2nd base ump blows a call every bit as bad as the Detroit call to give the Mariners the win over the Twins. What a joke.
                              That was goddamn pathetic. How do you miss that?
                              SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

No, I don't think they should fix that call. I think they should have had replay in place to fix that mistake in roughly 30 seconds time.

MLB can fix this because it DID NOT effect the outcome of the game AND represents a significant blemish on the history books. For a sport with such a rich history, they sure as hell don't try very hard to ensure that it remains untarnished.
                                Once you start fixing any calls...you have to start fixing all calls. MLB can't just go around picking and choosing. That would be total ********.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information