MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
    Believe me, I'd like to think the O's wouldn't pass him up either but this is a rumor that is going around.
    If the scouts think he's truly 2 or 3 tiers ahead as a player over the rest of the field, money won't be an issue. A guy like Porcello only falls because he's rated at around the same talent level as everyone else, but a lot more expensive.

Comment

• I haven't been paying attention baseball yet. Anyone want to give me a fantasy sleeper of someone that had a bad year last year and is looking to rebound this season?
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        I haven't been paying attention baseball yet. Anyone want to give me a fantasy sleeper of someone that had a bad year last year and is looking to rebound this season?
        Playing homer...

Glaus and Laroche are two to watch.

Glaus will be hitting in the middle of a potent Braves lineup and should have 3B eligibility in most leagues. If he stays healthy, 30+ HRs isnt out of the realm of possibility. It's hard to predict what kind of power he has right now but, he can certainly surprise and he's going to have plenty of chances with the Braves supporting cast.

I think Laroche is poised to "break out". He's always an excellent 2nd half hitter, and he was a terror for the Braves last year. He seems very committed to putting his slow starts to an end. If he can play as well in the first half, as he does in the second, he would be a great fantasy play. Anyway, he's in an offensive friendly ball park, that is very kind to left handers. Like Glaus, he should be hitting in the middle of a solid lineup, in a great ball park. Should be his best offensive season ever. I could see him having a year comparable to that of Kendry Morale's last season, with a lower average.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
          I haven't been paying attention baseball yet. Anyone want to give me a fantasy sleeper of someone that had a bad year last year and is looking to rebound this season?
          Kyle Blanks, Troy Glaus, Brad Penny, Geovany Soto, David Freese

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
            If the scouts think he's truly 2 or 3 tiers ahead as a player over the rest of the field, money won't be an issue. A guy like Porcello only falls because he's rated at around the same talent level as everyone else, but a lot more expensive.
            Porcello was the 2nd best prospect in that class at the time, and he was not at the same talent level as everyone else.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
              Woah Jamie Moyer is 47? 6+ innings for the Phillies 0 runs allowed today...He should have a decent season if he can avoid those death panels.
              one hit in 6.2 and that only hit belonged to Thames. That is how Thames wins the 25 man spot. ha.

Comment

• 2007 draft. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp

Many good prospects in that first round but Porcello was top prep arm.

Comment

• I still wish we'd have taken Porcello over Moose Tacos

Comment

• I wished the Pirates took Weiters over Moskos.

Comment

• I wish Porcello fell further down to Yankees' pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                        Porcello was the 2nd best prospect in that class at the time, and he was not at the same talent level as everyone else.
                        He was clearly a top 3 talent, but he wasn't so great that he deserved his outlandish demands. That's what I'm saying.

Comment

• I wish the Rays took damn near anyone instead of Wade Townsend, Josh Hamilton, or Dewon Brazelton.

Comment

• I wish the O's took Lincecum instead of Billy Rowell :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                              He was clearly a top 3 talent, but he wasn't so great that he deserved his outlandish demands. That's what I'm saying.
                              He did deserve his outlandish demands, just look at the pitchers in front of him:

David Price- probably going to break out sometime this year but was the consensus number 1 anyway
                              Daniel Moskos- back end starter at best
                              Ross Detwilker- probably a back end starter...maybe
                              Casey Weathers- coming off Tommy John
                              Jarrod Parker- just had Tommy John
                              Madison Bumgarner- Where Art Thou Velocity?
                              Blake Beavan- great control but still doesn't strike out enough to be more than a back end starter
                              Joe Savery- pretty mediocre pitcher in the minors, doubtful to ever amount to anything
                              Tim Alderson- Velocity issues part 2, except his value dips lower and lower consistently
                              Nick Schmidt- had Tommy John in 2008, was pretty awful in High A last year after starting well in A; probably won't amount to much
                              Michael Main- has the chance to be a solid starter but viral infection destroyed him last year
                              Aaron Poreda- mediocre secondary stuff will limit him to a mid rotation guy at best
                              James Simmons- More mediocrityyyyyyyy.

At the time Porcello was the most polished high school arm easy and at 21, he's pretty much already better than most of the people above him are ever going to be. Only guys with legit star potential above him are Parker (if he bounces back well from his TJ surgery), Bumgarner (if he finds his velocity), and Price.
                              Last edited by Brodeur; 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Wow looking back at those pitchers makes me puke. Not the draft to find one apparently.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information