MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    We're talking Cliff Lee here, ok? Enough with the nonsense that they would pinch pennies on him. He can single handedly sell out stadiums.
    Another thing to consider is the young talent that's already on the Rangers. If the Rangers get swept in this series, then I think he'd probably hit the open market. If the Rangers don't lowball him, my gut feeling is that he'll re-sign and be the ace of the team with arguably the brightest future in the game.
    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Only if they move Feliz back to starter. If they keep him at closer, he should sign elsewhere because clearly the organization is ********.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• THIS JUST IN......

Cliff Lee is pretty damn good.

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
          Another thing to consider is the young talent that's already on the Rangers. If the Rangers get swept in this series, then I think he'd probably hit the open market. If the Rangers don't lowball him, my gut feeling is that he'll re-sign and be the ace of the team with arguably the brightest future in the game.
          I doubt he cares about that. He's made it known he's all about getting paid. That's why the Phillies traded him in the first place. He let it be known to them that he wants nothing less than 20 million a year and they weren't willing to pay that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
            I doubt he cares about that. He's made it known he's all about getting paid. That's why the Phillies traded him in the first place. He let it be known to them that he wants nothing less than 20 million a year and they weren't willing to pay that.
            $20M+ for Lee really isn't beyond what Texas can do. They gave Vlad $15M last season and ownership was in flux.

Rangers have several significant contracts off the books this summer:

Vladimir Guererro ($15M) - not sure what happens, but there is a mutual option for a 2nd year. personally, i hope he comes back.
            Jorge Cantu ($6M) - no way he comes back
            Christian Guzman ($8M) - no way he comes back
            Darren Oliver ($3.6M) - maybe he returns, not likely
            Benji Molina ($6M) - maybe he returns, but it won't be for that kind of money

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...LB&majteam=TEX

Comment

• Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I think it's rather obvious Cliff Lee is going to be a Yankee.

Comment

$20M+ for Lee really isn't beyond what Texas can do. They gave Vlad $15M last season and ownership was in flux.

Vladimir Guererro ($15M) - not sure what happens, but there is a mutual option for a 2nd year. personally, i hope he comes back.

This is long but here goes...

If the Rangers can continue their run ya'll won't be out of the running for resigning Cliff Lee. When the Rays made their World Series run in 08 it's reported that they MADE $11.5 million during the playoffs. This total would have been higher but the Rays ownership had to make some upgrades before MLB would even let them host a playoff game in the Trop. The Rays had a total of 7 home games at the Trop with a total attendance of just over 300,000 people. Through the first 4 home playoff games the Rangers have averaged right at 50,000. That puts you guys at 200,000 with at the very least 1 more home game in a Stadium that doesn't look like the inside of a Sam's Club warehouse and hasn't had to be upgraded. I know the ownership is strapped for cash but so is/was the Rays ownership and this ownership is in the same situation Stu Sternberg was in. The payroll increased from $40 million to to just over $60 million after that run. That doesn't seem like a huge number but the Rangers have a much larger revenue stream that will only increase the longer this playoff run continues, all this coupled with that fact the Cliff Lee seems to really like playing Texas leads me to think you guys are sitting pretty.
                  Last edited by bofadabizzles; 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Lee is going to the Yankees. End of story. You might have a better shot at Lee if the Yanks win the WS as well. When they lose they get pissed and go on spending sprees.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Those numbers are a little off because a lot of those guys you didnt pay for a full year. Yes Jorge Cantu made 6 million over the course of last season, but the Rangers only paid a third of it as he came over late in the season. Sme with Guzman and to a lesser extent Molina. Actually you paid Guzman very little as the Nats threw you some money to take him. Also Vlad made more like 7 million this year. That site is off.

Other things you have to consider. Hamilton is a due a very big pay raise. Although I'm not sure if he can make more than double the 3.25 million he made this year. Same can be said about Nelson Cruz.
                      Last edited by Jughead10; 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• It is pretty obvious that the Yanks need pitching help, and Lee is clearly the best option out there. Given his dominance over them over the past few years, it makes logical sense that they're keeping him away from competitors and getting the best pitcher available on the market. I would say it's 80% likely he ends up in NY.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                          Lee is going to the Yankees. End of story. You might have a better shot at Lee if the Yanks win the WS as well. When they lose they get pissed and go on spending sprees.
                          Last night was probably a blessing in disguise for the Yankees. I don't see any way they don't outbid everyone for Lee.

Comment

• Blessing for Lee's agent. Now they'll be able to squeeze the Yankees for extra money and years in a deal. Lee has the absolute upper hand to force NY to overpay. If he doesn't get what he wants, he could always use players like LAA, the Rangers, or even the Mets to force the Yankees hand.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• I remember when everyone thought the Yankees would outbid everyone for A-Rod. One team out there beat them out. Which team was that again?

Comment

I remember when everyone thought the Yankees would outbid everyone for A-Rod. One team out there beat them out. Which team was that again?
                                A-Rod is on the Yankees right now, so I don't know how much sense this makes.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information