MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
    The A's should have a really good pitching staff next year if they can just get some bats they'd be on the rise again.
    Chris Carter started hitting towards the end of the season. I'd still love it if they went hard after Adam Dunn, but that's probably not going to happen. They have guys who can get on base, but no one is hitting with any real power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nalej View Post
      Is Cliff Lee to the Yankees a gimme?
      I saw earlier that Lee and Sabathia are best friends and their wives are friends as well and they went house shopping together during the trade deadline when they thought he was going to NY then.
      I'd really like to see him stay in Texas and see if the Rangers can get it done next year
      Wives aren't really excited about their husbands playing in NY. Especially ones who don't like city life. They assume they have to live in a high rise aparment downtown because thats where visiting teams stay. I know CCs wife was very hesistant about him going to the Yankees but then when the Yankees brass showed her the beautiful neighborhoods full of mansions in north Jersey and CT she didn't care so much at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
        Chris Carter started hitting towards the end of the season. I'd still love it if they went hard after Adam Dunn, but that's probably not going to happen. They have guys who can get on base, but no one is hitting with any real power.
        Bottomline is power equals money. Beane tried to stay ahead of the system with OBP at first and it worked. However the next thought that teams undervalued defense and he could bulid a winner that way, didn't nearly work as well.

Comment

• For D-Unit and his TV Deal which he couldn't stop talking about it. From Jason Stark article.

• Deep in the wallets of Texas: One baseball man with knowledge of the Rangers' massive new TV deal says people are overestimating the impact that contract will have on their ability to bring back Cliff Lee.

For one thing, the new deal doesn't kick in until 2015, when Lee would be in the fifth season of his next contract.

TRIVIALITY
          Cliff Lee owns seven postseason wins in his career. Just four other active STARTING pitchers have won that many postseason games or more. Can you name them? (Answer later.)
          For another, Rumblings was told, the new Rangers ownership has already used a large chunk of the upcoming TV money, which it collected up front as a signing bonus, to help finance its purchase of the franchise.

And, finally, the Rangers are about to lose their status as a revenue-sharing taker, which was allowing them to collect $8 million to $15 million a year.

So the bottom line is that this TV deal is not going to be worth an extra $80 million a season, as some people have speculated, and will have only minimal impact initially. Which means the Rangers still have to decide if it's a sane business decision to outbid the Yankees in years and dollars on a player the Yankees seem determined to sign. We wish them luck on that.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            For D-Unit and his TV Deal which he couldn't stop talking about it. From Jason Stark article.
            I've already seen the Rangers get as far as they will ever get, so I'm still happy that we traded for Lee. Man, what a great season this was.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
              I've already seen the Rangers get as far as they will ever get, so I'm still happy that we traded for Lee. Man, what a great season this was.
              My how quickly your view has turned. In all reality, the Yankees could probably sign Lee, Crawford, and Werth and still turn ridiculous profits. This is why Selig over the last few years has defended them a lot in the media, because he knows the Yankees if they really wanted to could make an ultimate mockery of the system. Even more so than they currently do. They seem set right now at keeping payroll around 200 million, 210 tops. When in all reality they could probably bring it up to 300 million even with the luxury tax and still make huge money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                My how quickly your view has turned. In all reality, the Yankees could probably sign Lee, Crawford, and Werth and still turn ridiculous profits. This is why Selig over the last few years has defended them a lot in the media, because he knows the Yankees if they really wanted to could make an ultimate mockery of the system. Even more so than they currently do. They seem set right now at keeping payroll around 200 million, 210 tops. When in all reality they could probably bring it up to 300 million even with the luxury tax and still make huge money.
                Yankees fans... gotta love 'em.

My view is the same. I will always hope Texas resigns Lee. If I find hints that it's a possibility then I will continue to post them. I still believe Texas has a bright future, but it's hard to believe that more WS appearances are in the near future. The league is too unbalanced and I'm realistic about that. I'm perfectly fine supporting the team even if they don't get back to where they were. The hunt for it seems like it's going to be fun ahead.

Comment

• The highest-paid active starting pitchers, by average annual value:

C.C. Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
                  Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
                  Roy Halladay, $20,000,000 (2011-13)
                  Carlos Zambrano, $18,300,000 (2008-12)
                  Barry Zito, $18,000,000 (2007-13)
                  Jake Peavy, $17,333,333 (2010-12)
                  A.J. Burnett, $16,500,000 (2009-13)
                  John Lackey, $16,500,000 (2010-14)
                  Justin Verlander, $16,000,000 (2010-14)
                  Felix Hernandez, $15,600,000 (2010-14)
                  Derek Lowe, $15,000,000 (2009-12)
                  Roy Oswalt, $14,600,000 (2007-11)
                  Mark Buehrle, $14,000,000 (2008-11)
                  Ryan Dempster, $13,000,000 (2009-12)
                  Chris Carpenter, $12,700,000 (2008-11)
                  Bronson Arroyo, $12,500,000 (2009-10)
                  Kevin Millwood, $12,000,000 (2006-10)

How many of these pitchers are worth their pay?
                  Last edited by D-Unit; 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Rival teams believe the White Sox will listen to offers for Gordon Beckham, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. Let's take a look around the league to determine which teams could become suitors for the infielder. The 24-year-old has a career .260/.331/.416 line and extensive big league experience at second and third. It seems likely that more than half the teams in baseball would have some interest in the former first rounder, despite the extended slow start he had in 2010. Here's a list of teams with potential interest:
                    Please Sandy get in on this!! White Sox would be making a huge mistake trading Beckham.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                      Hahaha. Yeah, I guess we should just thank the Yankees for not ruining the sport completely. And sure, they could do that and make profit but they don't because they want to make more money and not pay an outstanding luxury tax. So thanks Yankees for being greedy enough to not sign every big FA, but not enough so that you would create parody in the league.

I love that argument by Yankees fans. "Oh well, we could buy everyone on the FA market so you should really be thanking us!"
                      (shameless self-promotion)
                      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                        Hahaha. Yeah, I guess we should just thank the Yankees for not ruining the sport completely. And sure, they could do that and make profit but they don't because they want to make more money and not pay an outstanding luxury tax. So thanks Yankees for being greedy enough to not sign every big FA, but not enough so that you would create parody in the league.

I love that argument by Yankees fans. "Oh well, we could buy everyone on the FA market so you should really be thanking us!"
                        I'm not saying you should be thanking us for anything. I'm just saying the chance Lee goes back to the Rangers is quite small. It always has been. The luxury tax will never create more parody in the league. First of all because we're the only team paying it and secondly because most of the owners receiving it, put it in their pockets.

There is plenty of parody in the leauge anyway. The Giants were just the 9th champion in 10 years I believe. The playoff structure is what keeps parody in the league. And if they make two WC teams play a one game playoff, it will just create more.

There was less parody back in the day because after 154 games the top 2 teams in each league played in the WS. And over 154-162 games the cream generally rises to the top. Anyone can win over a 7 game series.
                        Last edited by Jughead10; 11-11-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          The highest-paid active starting pitchers, by average annual value:

C.C. Sabathia, $23,000,000 (2009-15)
                          Johan Santana, $22,916,667 (2008-13)
                          Roy Halladay, $20,000,000 (2011-13)
                          Carlos Zambrano, $18,300,000 (2008-12)
                          Barry Zito, $18,000,000 (2007-13)
                          Jake Peavy, $17,333,333 (2010-12)
                          A.J. Burnett, $16,500,000 (2009-13)
                          John Lackey, $16,500,000 (2010-14)
                          Justin Verlander, $16,000,000 (2010-14)
                          Jason Schmidt, $15,666,667 (2007-09)
                          Felix Hernandez, $15,600,000 (2010-14)
                          Derek Lowe, $15,000,000 (2009-12)
                          Roy Oswalt, $14,600,000 (2007-11)
                          Mark Buehrle, $14,000,000 (2008-11)
                          Ryan Dempster, $13,000,000 (2009-12)
                          Chris Carpenter, $12,700,000 (2008-11)
                          Bronson Arroyo, $12,500,000 (2009-10)
                          Kevin Millwood, $12,000,000 (2006-10)

How many of these pitchers are worth their pay?
                          Not a single one. But that's only because athletes are ridiculously overpaid as it is.

Also, I don't even know what moves, if any, the Cubs should make. That's how pathetic this organization has gotten. :(

Comment

• I have been arguing for a salary floor for quite some time. That is a big part of the NHL salary structure. Owners need to keep salaries between the hard cap and the hard floor. That is good for the game...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• The Yanks make a fuckload of money, who gives a rats ass if they spend it? I have never given a **** that they can offer free agents more and sign them, and I sure as hell won't start now. Plenty of teams have the money to compete for free agents, but they're cheap as all hell.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                                The Yanks make a fuckload of money, who gives a rats ass if they spend it? I have never given a **** that they can offer free agents more and sign them, and I sure as hell won't start now. Plenty of teams have the money to compete for free agents, but they're cheap as all hell.
                                My point was just when they find a single guy they absolutely covet, it's nearly impossible for any team to get that player. But Lee is this case is likely to be the only FA they sign this year, minus their own. There are certainly plenty of other free agents to go around. Including V-Mart who seems to be overlooked that your team seems very interested in.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information