MLB Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    I have been arguing for a salary floor for quite some time. That is a big part of the NHL salary structure. Owners need to keep salaries between the hard cap and the hard floor. That is good for the game...
    Yeah but then you're going to force crappy teams to overpay for crappy veterans just to hit the floor thus making their teams even crappier.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      My point was just when they find a single guy they absolutely covet, it's nearly impossible for any team to get that player. But Lee is this case is likely to be the only FA they sign this year, minus their own. There are certainly plenty of other free agents to go around.
      It is still fiscally possible for the Tigers, Rangers, Angels, Red Sox, Dodgers and so forth to get into a bidding war for Lee with the Yankees, but their owners just aren't willing to commit as much as Hank.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        The highest-paid active starting pitchers, by average annual value:

Barry Zito, $18,000,000 (2007-13)
        Getting $18m a year and couldnt make our post season roster....

/FAIL

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
          Yeah but then you're going to force crappy teams to overpay for crappy veterans just to hit the floor thus making their teams even crappier.
          They could just re-up their quality younger guys to meet the floor and then MAYBE sign a free agent or two (LOOKING AT YOU LORIA).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
            It is still fiscally possible for the Tigers, Rangers, Angels, Red Sox, Dodgers and so forth to get into a bidding war for Lee with the Yankees, but their owners just aren't willing to commit as much as Hank.
            Hal. Hank doesn't run the team. They will outbid every other team by a longshot. The only way he goes elsewhere is he decides to take substantially less money to do so. And those types of players are few and far between.

Comment

• The Players Union looks down upon that anyway.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

The Players Union looks down upon that anyway.
                No one cares about them.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                  Not a single one. But that's only because athletes are ridiculously overpaid as it is.

Also, I don't even know what moves, if any, the Cubs should make. That's how pathetic this organization has gotten. :(
                  the Cubs are so handcuffed by horrible contracts. You've got a blackhole in Left Field, a Japanese albatross on the bench. Huge contracts between two pitchers who ought to be #3 starters... Not a ton of minor league position players ready to play right now...

Yea it's a pretty horrible situation. The development of Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson is crucial to this team's success in coming years.

There's some good players to be excited about for 2012 and beyond though.

This is a good opportunity to throw up a top 10 prospects list

1. Brett Jackson OF
                  2. Chris Archer SP
                  3. Josh Vitters 3B
                  4. Trey McNutt SP
                  5. Hak Ju Lee SS
                  6. Brandon Guyer OF
                  7. Jay Jackson SP
                  8. Matt Szczur OF (hopefully he chooses baseball)
                  9. DJ LeMahieu IF
                  10. Chris Carpenter SP

I'm pretty excited about the top 4... We'll see if Lee can continue to develop. The rest is a bit of a crap shoot.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

The Players Union looks down upon that anyway.
                    I'm curious if you still have the same excitement for Johan Santana that you had on him when you first got him.

Because I feel if the Rangers get Lee, that I will be damn happy at first... but I think his long term future in a 5-7 year deal will not be so nice.

Comment

I'm curious if you still have the same excitement for Johan Santana that you had on him when you first got him.

Because I feel if the Rangers get Lee, that I will be damn happy at first... but I think his long term future in a 5-7 year deal will not be so nice.
                      Of course I don't, I mean how could I right now. He injured his shoulder and had surgery on it which is usually the death sentence for a pitcher anyway. I'm expecting absolutely nothing from Johan from here on out so it's basically going to be a huge waste of a contract.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I don't think Lee will get a 7 year deal. Id rather overpay the first few years than give him 7 years. 140 million over 6?

Comment

Please Sandy get in on this!! White Sox would be making a huge mistake trading Beckham.
                          How is that even a remote possibility? Beckham's stock is too low and he's almost guaranteed to rebound next season. Kenny Williams will have outdone himself, which we thought was no longer possible, if he deals Beckham.
                          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

This is exactly what happened with almost every one of those contracts for the top 10-15 paid pitchers. Especially considering Lee's advanced age in comparison to Santana, Zito, etc, whoever gives Lee a big contract is going to be taking a gamble--not in 2011 or 2012 but in each year beyond that.

On another note, I am pretty excited about where the A's are going right now. They ended the year at .500 and seem to be attempting to improve their offense. David DeJesus isn't just going to be penciled in for 150 games in LF/RF, but I imagine he was brought in to play the 70 or so games Coco Crisp will be unable to play in CF in 2011. I love that Beane is spending so much money on the young talent, even if it doesn't pay off. An example would be the contract to Michael Ynoa who has done nothing in the last 2 years except get TJ surgery a few months back, but he's still only 18 and at $4 million it was a fairly low risk gamble. Keep in mind Beane paid Esteban Loaiza $16 million over 2 years as a terrible major league pitcher. Adding more internation FAs is a good gamble for the price.

As for those who are reaming into Beane, I would just point out that, as a low payroll team, Beane has to make some big gambles. Some of those will pay off (John Jaha/Matt Stairs at the turn of the century, Frank Thomas in 2006, etc) and some of those will not (Loaiza, Piazza, Holliday, etc).

One more thought--how the HECK did Beane "ruin Holliday"?? He hit like an MVP in Coors (but who doesn't?) and he is hitting very very well in St. Louis. That was a great gamble using chips that were not necessary for the A's at the time--Gonzalez was hitting like crap in Oakland (and would probably hit like crap in Oakland in 2010 too), Street was a valuable chip but replaceable (see Andrew Bailey) and Greg Smith had a smoke-and-mirrors ERA ~4. Beane also knew that if the A's were not in contention, he could still receive more value in flipping Holliday to a contender--which he did.

For all the flak Beane is receiving, he has done a very good job assembling a top of the line pitching staff between Brett Anderson (via trade), Trevor Cahill (via draft), Dallas Braden (via draft) and Gio Gonzalez (via trade). plenty of Beane's moves have paid off including the Swisher for Gio/Sweeney/FDLS and Haren for Anderson/Carter/Gonzalez/etc. The A's are still a rebuilding process. Now that some of the pieces are in place (pitching staff+bullpen), it is time for Beane to add some more value where there are holes (namely any and all hitters) to take advantage and make the playoffs.

The A's aren't stagnating right now, they are only priming for a 5-year (or hopefully more) playoff run.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                              One more thought--how the HECK did Beane "ruin Holliday"?? He hit like an MVP in Coors (but who doesn't?) and he is hitting very very well in St. Louis. That was a great gamble using chips that were not necessary for the A's at the time--Gonzalez was hitting like crap in Oakland (and would probably hit like crap in Oakland in 2010 too), Street was a valuable chip but replaceable (see Andrew Bailey) and Greg Smith had a smoke-and-mirrors ERA ~4. Beane also knew that if the A's were not in contention, he could still receive more value in flipping Holliday to a contender--which he did.
                              He ruined the situation. Are the pieces they got back likely to be as good as Carlos was this year or ever? They traded better pieces than the ones they got back and cost them several million dollars for a half year of Holliday which got them nowhere. The A's better hope they start contending soon or Cahill and Anderson will be FAs right when they are about to reach what they are building for. This would have been a good year to make a move with the Angels down, but they'll be back. Looks like they're going to spend.

Comment

Of course I don't, I mean how could I right now. He injured his shoulder and had surgery on it which is usually the death sentence for a pitcher anyway. I'm expecting absolutely nothing from Johan from here on out so it's basically going to be a huge waste of a contract.
                                Which is one thought that worries me about Lee. Santana signed his deal at 29. Lee is already 32... but ... I guess I still would be butt happy if Lee signed with the Rangers anyways. I could always hope for continued health. I just worry... are we paying for the guy's future or for his past. If it's the latter, then I'd be sitting in your shoes in a couple years, and no WS ring to show for it.

I wish Greinke were a Ranger.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information