PoKEMON THREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
    You know what? I'm gonna have BOTH Starmie and Gyarados, and store my Primeape. The disadvantages are: 1) addition team weaknesses to Electric. In fact, with Charizard a Fire/Flying, I'll have three members weak to Electric. however, I'm past the electric gym, I'll have a Nidoking who will be immune, and Kadabra is always there to **** their **** up. Grass is a non-issue because of Charizard. this might be a problem for when I get to Lance, because his Dragonites know electric moves, but they are tough as **** anyways. 2) lost benefits of Primeape, which is having a Fighting pokemon. That means my strengths against Normal, Rock, Steel, and Ice are gone. However, my two Water Pokemon will own Rock, and Charizard can fight Steel and Ice (however Magnemites and Magnetons will be admittedly problematic), and Normal are a non-issue.

Advantages are having an additional Psychic pokemon in Starmie (who I will teach Psychic), having a goddamn Gyarados, complete annihilation of the Ground gym and future ground and rock pokemon, and having a goddamn Gyarados.
    Magnemite/'ton are also Steel types, so they'll be weak to Fire.

Also, Gyarados can learn Earthquake and Charizard can learn Earthquake, Rock Slide, and even Focus Punch; all of which are super effective against Electrics. That covers their weakness very well, but Electric types are also fragile and Charizard and Gyarados pack enough punch to defend themselves. It's a worry for Gyarados mostly, though. I think Charizard can take a T-Bolt with his 2x weakness (not saying he'll be in good shape, but at least he'll be able to retaliate with a super effective EQ or Rock Slide). Gyarados with it's 4x weakness may not be able to take the hit, and it's Intimidate won't work on special attacking Electric types.

Anyway, in my LeafGreen, I use both Starmie and Lapras on my team. If you want to use Lapras/Gyarados, then that'll work fine too. Lapras and Starmie share a lot of the same move pool, aside from Starmie's Psychic attacks and Recover. But Lapras can learn the likes of T-Bolt, Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, Ice Beam, Surf, Toxic, and also adds the physical attacks that Starmie lacks.

But with my team, I have no Psychic or Electric types like you do, so we're in different positions. I use Lapras as my primary Water and primary Ice type, and I use Starmie was my primary Psychic, secondary Water, and opposing Water counter (I have no Electric or Grass types, so I use Starmie against other Water types because it has T-Bolt and isn't weak to Water). If you use a Starmie as a Psychic while also having a Kadabra, it'd be a waste because what Starmie does Psychically, Kadabra does better. If you also have a Lapras or Starmie as Water types while also having Gyarados, then you'll be doubling up on Water types while not being in dire need of their secondary typing. The only main difference is Ice Beam from Lapras/Starmie, but other than that they don't add much type coverage that Gyarados doesn't handle. So Kadabra and Gyarados throw a wrench in there.

My suggestion, and you may be doing this, but use Gyarados as a secondary Water type. Lapras will take that primary Water role with Surf, Ice Beam, T-Bolt/T-Wave/Toxic, Confuse Ray/Refresh. In fact, not even having a Water type attack on him at all should be a possibility, but Waterfall is handy and I can't think of anything else. Use him as a Physical Sweeper. Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Waterfall, Double-Edge/HP Flying/HP Rock.

Also, did somebody say Lickitung? I had a shiny Lickitung! /shameless brag...again!
    Last edited by TitanHope; 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM.
    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• thanks for the advice. nitpick: I was talking about Charizard's 2x weakness to Magnemites/tons' electric moves because he's flying.

yeah, I also just learned I can get Ice Beam's TM14...by winning it in slots. **** that. there goes Starmie's added move (Lapras learns it anyways). now as for the Earthquake thing, I'm probably gonna teach that to Nidoking anyways. Starmie's tempting-ness is that extra guy who can use Psychic (useful for the Poison gyms'/Elite 4 guy), but Gyarados is a plus in an of himself and I think having Lapras' Ice stuff will be great for Lance (Gyarados will get creamed by a Dragonite's electric move but if stuck I can use whatever Dragon move it has). and seriously, if Kadabra can't handle Poison/Fighting's by himself, I might just be screwed anyways.

so Lapras and Gyarados it is

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• All this talk makes me want to start up another game....can the emulators be played on a Droid?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
          thanks for the advice. nitpick: I was talking about Charizard's 2x weakness to Magnemites/tons' electric moves because he's flying.
          My bad, kind sir! I thought you had forgotten it, I did!

yeah, I also just learned I can get Ice Beam's TM14...by winning it in slots. **** that. there goes Starmie's added move (Lapras learns it anyways). now as for the Earthquake thing, I'm probably gonna teach that to Nidoking anyways. Starmie's tempting-ness is that extra guy who can use Psychic (useful for the Poison gyms'/Elite 4 guy), but Gyarados is a plus in an of himself and I think having Lapras' Ice stuff will be great for Lance (Gyarados will get creamed by a Dragonite's electric move but if stuck I can use whatever Dragon move it has). and seriously, if Kadabra can't handle Poison/Fighting's by himself, I might just be screwed anyways.

so Lapras and Gyarados it is
          Sound good! As for the Ice Beam TM, you don't have to win coins at the Game Corner. The coins you buy at the counter are the same coins you win at the slots. So if you have enough money, you can just buy the coins 500 at a time for $10,000. That's a **** ton of credits, but it's waaaaay easier than doing the slots. TM13 (Ice Beam), TM24 (T-Bolt), and TM35 (Flamethrower) are all 4,000 coins. So it'll cost $80,000 per TM. They're worth it though. TM23, Iron Tail, is the cheapest but is the worst of the bunch. Shadow Ball, TM30, is the most expensive and I'd put it up there with the 3 Elemental Beams.

It really sucks that there's only one copy of Earthquake, and in the newer versions, only one copy of Stone Edge and Rock Slide. Thank goodness Stealth Rock is buyable in the Celadon Dept. Store. And since I can clone things on Emerald, I can clone TM's by having the pokemon I'm cloning hold it. I've got like 4 Earthquakes, 3 Psychics, 3 Toxics, 4 Dragon Claws, and copies of T-Bolt and Ice Beam that I didn't have to fork over the money for!

Emerald is worth buying it alone to clone pokemon and items with. All you have to do is import them to your Nintendo DS version, and you can load up on the rare TM's that way!

Also guys, if I ramble, over-explain, or talk to you as if I'm explaining stuff that you guys already know, that's my bad. My Adderall has gotten me into thorough Pokemon talker mode. If I start doin' it too much, just flash that picture of Misty on the front page and I'll snap to. :D
          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            All this talk makes me want to start up another game....can the emulators be played on a Droid?
            I've no clue. My guess is if it can bring up websites and get on the internet on your Droid, then you should be able to play an emulator on it.

My guess would be to get on your Droid, go to this website and this thread, and try out the emulator links. If it doesn't have internet access, then I'm not sure. Maybe try to download one onto your computer, and then try to connect your phone to your computer so you can transfer the download to your Droid. Dunno if that's even possible or not though.
            Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
            Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Yanno...screw it. I've got my Sapphire in my backpack, I guess I'll start a new one on there tonight.

The one thing I don't like about that game though is that I feel like there's a major lack of decent Pokemon early in the game other than your starter and Ralts, who you have to work with for a while to make good. (And not as good as Abra -> Kadabra either...)

Anyone have good tips for that one?

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
              I've no clue. My guess is if it can bring up websites and get on the internet on your Droid, then you should be able to play an emulator on it.

My guess would be to get on your Droid, go to this website and this thread, and try out the emulator links. If it doesn't have internet access, then I'm not sure. Maybe try to download one onto your computer, and then try to connect your phone to your computer so you can transfer the download to your Droid. Dunno if that's even possible or not though.
              It does get internet....I'm just super wary of downloading things onto it yet. The thing is seriously worth more than my car and I've only had it for a little over a week.....Last thing I want to do is download something and have it not work and take up space or break it compeltely.....ugh

Comment

Yanno...screw it. I've got my Sapphire in my backpack, I guess I'll start a new one on there tonight.

The one thing I don't like about that game though is that I feel like there's a major lack of decent Pokemon early in the game other than your starter and Ralts, who you have to work with for a while to make good. (And not as good as Abra -> Kadabra either...)

It does get internet....I'm just super wary of downloading things onto it yet. The thing is seriously worth more than my car and I've only had it for a little over a week.....Last thing I want to do is download something and have it not work and take up space or break it compeltely.....ugh
                I gotcha. Having it on your phone would be wicked though. I say go for it since it's brand new. Is it still under warranty and everything? If it breaks or messes up, then just take it back and have it fixed/replaced (I'm not sure who your carrier is, but I have Verizon and they've never turned me down when my phone broke - even got them to repair it when it's warranty had expired and ended up getting a brand new phone!). A lot of the emulators posted look legit and easy to use too. I don't think they'd take up too much room, do you? *shrug*

You can probably always go out and buy a memory card or something for it too. I've never had a smart phone like a Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry, but surely they have some external memory device. You could always try to download the emulator software on the memory card.
                Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Yeah, it's got a manufacturers warranty for a year that covers most things. It's Verizon too...I've never had any major problems with them personally but I know people who've gotten real dicked over. Like, if you have a warranty through them, it excludes water damage, and even if the person has never gotten the phone wet whatsoever, they've taken it in and Verizon claimed it was water damaged and didn't uphold the warranty or something ****** like that....

Idk, I might play with it at home some. I'd like to get Gold or maybe Yellow on there. Be great to have during slow times at work. I always feel weird when I'm playing my DS or I bring my laptop, even though no one actually cares what you do as long as your work is getting done. I think my phone would draw a little less attention....

Comment

Yanno...screw it. I've got my Sapphire in my backpack, I guess I'll start a new one on there tonight.

Once Slakoth evolves into Viggoroth he is a beast. After the first badge you can get Sableye, Aron, and Makuhita. Those are what I usually used early game if I didn't trade a premade team.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
                      Once Slakoth evolves into Viggoroth he is a beast. After the first badge you can get Sableye, Aron, and Makuhita. Those are what I usually used early game if I didn't trade a premade team.
                      It's been a good two years since I've played it....I definitely remember having Aron, Ralts and my starter. Wasn't a fan of Makuhita though.

And I'd totally trade in a premade team from my FireRed if I had a 2nd DS and knew it would work. I know some people at work have them and I could probably borrow one, but I'd look like such a nerd if asked why I needed it, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
                        Vigoroth and Lairon are PIMP!

Design-wise, Lairon is one of my favorite 3rd Gen pokemon. I wish Aron evolved sooner so I could play with Lairon for more than 10 Lvls. Plus, a stage one pokemon until Lvl. 32 is ridiculously annoying.

Vigoroth learns Yawn and Slack Off as Slakoth, both of which I love. Then he learns Slash as Vigoroth, another fave. A status move and HP recovery move all before Lvl. 14! Woot!
                        Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                        Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
                          Vigoroth and Lairon are PIMP!

Design-wise, Lairon is one of my favorite 3rd Gen pokemon. I wish Aron evolved sooner so I could play with Lairon for more than 10 Lvls. Plus, a stage one pokemon until Lvl. 32 is ridiculously annoying.

Vigoroth learns Yawn and Slack Off as Slakoth, both of which I love. Then he learns Slash as Vigoroth, another fave. A status move and HP recovery move all before Lvl. 14! Woot!
                          Yeah, Aron does take forever to evolve...wasn't a fan of that. Pretty sure my last play through on that saw me using Combusken and Ralts evolved form 90% of the time. I didn't really even have much of a team because I couldn't find others that I liked enough to work with.

Comment

• Slakoth is the way to go. Vigoroth and Slaking are powerhouses. I'd agree with you though, a lack of good Pokemon to spend time on early in those games.

My Emerald Team - 8 Badges
                            - Lvl. 37 Shelgon
                            - Lvl. 46 Swellow
                            - Lvl. 48 Gardevoir
                            - Lvl. 49 Flygon
                            - Lvl. 46 Slaking
                            - Lvl. 52 Swampert

My Fire Red Team - 8 Badges + Elite Four
                            - Lvl. 53 Blastoise
                            - Lvl. 50 Raichu
                            - Lvl. 51 Rhydon
                            - Lvl. 49 Flareon
                            - Lvl. 50 Exeggutor
                            - Lvl. 50 Dewgong

Gotta love that VisualBoy Advance
                            Last edited by ThePudge; 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                              Slakoth is the way to go. Vigoroth and Slaking are powerhouses. I'd agree with you though, a lack of good Pokemon to spend time on early in those games.
                              I think it might have something to do with the lack of variety of elemental types. Like, in FireRed, I had my team pretty much together by the 4th gym (Celadon.) Had a Water (Wartortle) Fire (Growlithe) Electric (Jolteon) Flying (Fearow) and Psychic (Kadabra.) Only added a Scyther to that a little later.

But in Ruby/Sapphire (switched windows as one of the attractive TV girls walked by, lol) I feel like you have to deal with less variety in the types...hard to put together a balanced team that way imo. Just the feel I get from it anyway...

Comment

• my team as of right now

Charizard - Lvl. 45
                                Kadabra - Lvl. 42 (******* vba link)
                                Nidoking - Lvl. 36
                                Gyrados - Lvl. 35
                                Pikachu - Lvl. 33 (when should I evolve him)
                                Farfetch'd - Lvl. 9 (Your name is toby!)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information