No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok... Just heard the dumbest rumor ever.

Supposedly UK contacted Phil Jackson (yes, THE Phil Jackson) about the job. He has said in the past the only college job he would take is UK but the person who started this one is feeding us total BS.

Funny to hear though...

Comment

• Why doesn't UK go after Thad Matta if Donovan turns them down?

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• I've been hearing some rumblings of Matta but not much. It would also be hard to get him to leave given his sweet recruiting class for next year.

Rick Barnes or Billy Gillespie are probably the front runners if Donovan rejects.

Comment

• Congrats to the Gators for reapeating but i hate the fact that Noah wins another National Championship

Comment

• Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
            I've been hearing some rumblings of Matta but not much. It would also be hard to get him to leave given his sweet recruiting class for next year.

Rick Barnes or Billy Gillespie are probably the front runners if Donovan rejects.
            0% chance you get Matta

Comment

• What about Tim Floyd
              Originally posted by nvot9
              I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
              Indianapolis Colts 13-3
              Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
              Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
              Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

• Billie Gillespie just got a fat extension from Texas A&M. The buyout alone would be crippling.

Matta signed an extension last year that makes him too pricey until 2009.

Rick Barnes is likely available, but why would Kentucky want him? He is a terrible in-game coach. Worse than Tubby for sure.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMontainya View Post
                  "Personally, I think Oden and Conley Jr. are both gone."

Conley allready had a gathering where he announced he was staying about 2 weeks ago. His dad then announced he plans to become a sports agent this year for when Mike and Greg go pro, but he said that Mike isnt ready yet and will return.
                  Yeah, I remember something about that.

That said, eh, I take what kids say at this time of year with a grain of salt. If Mike Conley Jr. finds out that he's projected as a potential top 15 pick, I wonder how that changes things. With the lack of PG's, it wouldn't surprise me if he cracked the top 10 either, as much of a reach as that may be on potential more than polish.

That said, who knows. Maybe he is staying.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                    Dana Altman: Solid hire. Great coach but this is quite a jump for him. Going from a fan base of about 6,000 on a daily basis to about 18,000. Idk, I like the guy a lot but I don't know if this is a good fit. Recruiting may become a problem for him at this level. We'll see though.

Todd Lickliter: Did some great things with Butler but I was expecting someone else for Iowa; a Lon Kruger or Rick Majerus. That program needs a total makeover and I'm not sure that Lickliter is that guy. He's a very good X's and O's guy, but like toony said, he isn't that much different than Alford in their playing styles. We'll see though.

If Billy D leaves for UK or the Miami Heat, I think you'll hear Cal's name pop up again and I don't know if he can pass this opportunity up. It's a step up from Memphis and it's prestige has increased greatly the past 2 years with their two National Titles. Memphis is a good program, but it's not in a good conference, it doesn't get much exposure, and it's not on the same level as Florida is. I realize he's got a ton of talent coming back next year but I can't see him passing this job up, especially if the money is right (but first Billy D has to leave and Cal has to be offered the job).
                    I could see Cal bolting ... but then again

a) he isn't someone that's tied to Kentucky for any reason

b) Memphis is a potential national title contender

it is a thought. i know the kentucky rivals message board had some post showing how a flight from Lexington headed towards Memphis for a bit, or something like that.

To be honest, I've always wondered if Calipari would make a play for the NBA again. People tend to forget that he's not even 50 yet.

That said, if there's a school that can pry him away from a national title contender and increased leverage, it'd be Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
                      Ok... Just heard the dumbest rumor ever.

Supposedly UK contacted Phil Jackson (yes, THE Phil Jackson) about the job. He has said in the past the only college job he would take is UK but the person who started this one is feeding us total BS.

Funny to hear though...
                      Yeah, I saw that on the rivals board. A lot of crazy stuff by posters there with their "insider" knowledge. Most of it I don't believe. All the "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy ... "

Comment

• Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                        Why doesn't UK go after Thad Matta if Donovan turns them down?
                        I could see them doing that ... but Matta's got a good class coming in next year, supposedly a great class in 2 years. Even if 2007-2008 is a "down" year if some guys leave, they'll be primed for title runs soon. He's proven he can recruit real well.

Comment

• Originally posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
                          So people know there was two coaching hires yesturday:

Dana Altman to Arkanasas and Todd Lickliter to Iowa.
                          John Beilein to Michigan is a done deal according to numerous reports in addition to those two hires.

Comment

• I heard Beilein to Michigan on ESPN Radio already. Supposedly a 5-year deal. Good for him!

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                              I could see them doing that ... but Matta's got a good class coming in next year, supposedly a great class in 2 years. Even if 2007-2008 is a "down" year if some guys leave, they'll be primed for title runs soon. He's proven he can recruit real well.
                              Matta is an Ohio guy. He has amazing inroads there. He started at Butler (I think), then went to Xavier as an assistant, took that team to the Elite 8 2 years after Prosser left for Wake Forest, then went to Ohio St. The thing about Kentucky is that it's right on the border of Ohio, so he could keep his connections there and bring them into a higher profile school. If any school (and I mean any school in the country) could get Matta right now, it's Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                                John Beilein to Michigan is a done deal according to numerous reports in addition to those two hires.
                                I like that move, for the simple reason that, they needed a solid coach, rather than a flashy name that might bring about unwarranted expectations. It's going to take time to rebuild that program, and I like the Beilein fit. He's moved up fast in the last decade or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information