Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Basketball Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calipari going to Kentucky is mind boggling to me. The Memphis job is right now the best gig in college basketball. Recruiting big time players to play a soft conference while scheduling a grueling non-conference schedule. The team is a lock for the post season every year, even with a sub-par team from what the country has expected and no pressure comes with the job. For every Ben Howland, you find a bunch of Matt Doughertys, Billy Gillespies and Tommy Amakers. Hell, Mike Davis took his team to the national title game one year, saved Indiana from the Bob Knight media blitz and was rewarded by being fired after getting a six seed in the NCAA tourney.

    Furthermore, the expectations at UK are out of this world. In ten seasons Tubby Smith won three overall SEC titles, two other confererence tourneys, two regular season conference titles and a national championship. He never was eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament, never had a sub .500 record in the SEC and never had any recruiting scandals. He was 120-40 in the SEC. This could not satisfy the UK fans, because his defensive style did not suit the boosters and long time fans who were used to seeing a fast style offense and Smith was fired.

    I hope Calipari considers this before taking the Kentucky job.


    ^^Best Real Estate Salesman Ever^^

    Comment


    • My final four predictions:

      UNC over Nova

      UConn over MSU

      UNC over UConn in the final


      Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
      Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

      Amazing sig by jkpigskin

      Originally posted by Paul
      I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
      LOL props to Paul

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CroomDawgs View Post
        My final four predictions:

        UNC over Nova

        UConn over MSU

        UNC over UConn in the final
        really going out on a limb I see. ;)
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

        Comment


        • Anthony Grant of VCU has been announced as the new head coach of Alabama
          http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/42103577.html

          Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

          Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Fogartynyy2789 View Post
            Furthermore, the expectations at UK are out of this world. In ten seasons Tubby Smith won three overall SEC titles, two other confererence tourneys, two regular season conference titles and a national championship. He never was eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament, never had a sub .500 record in the SEC and never had any recruiting scandals. He was 120-40 in the SEC. This could not satisfy the UK fans, because his defensive style did not suit the boosters and long time fans who were used to seeing a fast style offense and Smith was fired.
            Certain coaches like being at programs with insane expectations. Tubby Smith isn't one of those and that's why he fits in better at Minnesota (or maybe a school like Maryland if it ever opens up).

            Besides, even if he is eventually canned he's going to make more money at Kentucky in the next 4 years than he probably would make at Memphis in the next 10.


            Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bored of education View Post
              really going out on a limb I see. ;)
              This was my final four except replace wake forest (wow) with mSU so I'm stickin to it :D

              edit: don't know why theres an angry dude at the top


              Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
              Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

              Amazing sig by jkpigskin

              Originally posted by Paul
              I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
              LOL props to Paul

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fogartynyy2789 View Post
                Calipari going to Kentucky is mind boggling to me. The Memphis job is right now the best gig in college basketball. Recruiting big time players to play a soft conference while scheduling a grueling non-conference schedule. The team is a lock for the post season every year, even with a sub-par team from what the country has expected and no pressure comes with the job. For every Ben Howland, you find a bunch of Matt Doughertys, Billy Gillespies and Tommy Amakers. Hell, Mike Davis took his team to the national title game one year, saved Indiana from the Bob Knight media blitz and was rewarded by being fired after getting a six seed in the NCAA tourney.

                Furthermore, the expectations at UK are out of this world. In ten seasons Tubby Smith won three overall SEC titles, two other confererence tourneys, two regular season conference titles and a national championship. He never was eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament, never had a sub .500 record in the SEC and never had any recruiting scandals. He was 120-40 in the SEC. This could not satisfy the UK fans, because his defensive style did not suit the boosters and long time fans who were used to seeing a fast style offense and Smith was fired.

                I hope Calipari considers this before taking the Kentucky job.
                First off, Tubby wasn't fired, he bolted town. He was in talks with Minnesota in the middle of the season. I fully supported him until AFTER he had already talked about leaving here, same for most people. That national championship he won was a gift from Pitino. A senior lead, postseason experienced and talented team.

                Tubby's was a small steady decline. His assistants were just AWFUL (only one I believe got a job after he left at freaking Depaul). That's what we all wanted to change but Tubby was clearly burnt out here. We had no hope for the future after his last two seasons and no recruiting coming in. People who say people at UK only care if you win a championship are beyond ignorant, our favorite team is the '92 team that didn't make the final four. All we want is to be a final four potential team, we don't have to make it... Just feel like we've got a shot. Tubby will still be remembered fondly here. His '03 and '05 teams were awesome. In '03 had we not been D-Wade'd and/or had Bogans we very well could've won the championship.

                Gillispie was a square peg to our round hole. He will probably do very well at whatever school he goes to next. Some of the stories that have come out from those who would know are very odd with the way he treated players. I was very PO'd when the rumors of him being fired came out but the stories have justified it. Meeks was definitely leaving, Darius Miller probably, Patterson probably, DeAndre Liggins, half our team basically was going to leave because of how he treated them.

                Cal has coached 17 years, clean record. Pitino is a used car salesman as well, he worked out pretty well here I'd say. He has the personality to succeed here. The only reason Memphis is a good job is because of him.

                Comment


                • tommorow's d-day for Lance.god does KU need him

                  Comment


                  • When it comes down to it, at the end of the day, Kentucky is still Kentucky and Memphis is still Memphis.

                    I actually agree with sweetness when it comes to Calipari. The guy can recruit and he does win, but I wouldn't want him as my team's head coach...

                    Comment


                    • It's looking to be nearing completion. Given the Camby situation, I can understand people's take on Cal. Once he has Kentucky's resources, there will be no need to do anything shady. We'll finally be back to basically getting whatever recruits we want. Wall has visited UK several times with Gillispie here, I expect him to come if a deal is completed. Given that and no one big leaving (basically Miller/Meeks/Patterson), we'll be a top 5 team next year, top 10 at worst. Our lack of a PG was a HUGE weakness.

                      Comment


                      • This may have been mentioned before, but can Henry get out of his LOI and go to Kentucky? I know Cousins has not signed yet
                        Last edited by CroomDawgs; 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM.


                        Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                        Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

                        Amazing sig by jkpigskin

                        Originally posted by Paul
                        I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                        LOL props to Paul

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CroomDawgs View Post
                          This may have been mentioned before, but can Henry get out of his LOI and go to Kentucky? I know Cousins has not signed yet
                          It would be a matter of Memphis allowing him out of it. They would surely wait until the new coach is signed first. Then we are out of scholarships as it stands, so we'd have to make room. By all reports it seems like Cousins and Wall will probably follow. I would doubt Henry does.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
                            It would be a matter of Memphis allowing him out of it. They would surely wait until the new coach is signed first. Then we are out of scholarships as it stands, so we'd have to make room. By all reports it seems like Cousins and Wall will probably follow. I would doubt Henry does.
                            So next year Kentucky could have the starting lineup of Wall, Meeks, miller, Cousins and Patterson


                            Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                            Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

                            Amazing sig by jkpigskin

                            Originally posted by Paul
                            I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                            LOL props to Paul

                            Comment


                            • Should Calipari leave, who do you guys think would take the Memphis job?


                              Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                              Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

                              Amazing sig by jkpigskin

                              Originally posted by Paul
                              I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                              LOL props to Paul

                              Comment


                              • http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/blog.html

                                Looks like its a done deal


                                Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
                                Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

                                Amazing sig by jkpigskin

                                Originally posted by Paul
                                I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
                                LOL props to Paul

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information