Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** Official MLB Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *** Official MLB Draft Thread ***

    I was going to wait a few days for this, but if there's already an NBA Draft thread, by God, MLB deserves it's own as well.

    At this point, it would be an absolute shock if Tampa Bay passed on David Price with the first pick in the draft. Despite how I feel about Price's workload over the last few years, he is a 6'5" southpaw that reaches the mid 90's and has a power arsenal - you just can't pass on that. The cherry on top is that he is not advised by Scott Boras, so he shouldn't be a ridiculously tough sign as long as Tampa doesn't low-ball him.

    Things start to get interesting at #2 with KC. Months ago it was assumed that the Royals would take Matt Wieters, switch-hitting catcher from GT and the assumed 2nd best player in the draft, with their pick. However, Wieters has had a good but not great year, is advised by Boras, and some elite prep players have challenged him for the #2 spot. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Max Scherzer, and this looks like something that might not be resolved until June 7th.

    The crop of high school players this year appears to be one of the deepest and most talented in the last 10-15 years. The prep ranks are littered with projectable power arms such as Rick Porcello, Matt Harvey, Phillip Aumont, Jarrod Parket, etc, along with elite position players including Josh Vitters, Mike Moustakas, Michael Burgess, and Jason Heyward.

    Add in the fact that the MLB Draft will be televised for the first time in history, and this is shaping up to be a memorable draft for baseball fans.


    Originally posted by BrownsTown

    If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

    2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

  • #2
    People don't really follow the MLB draft as much as other sports because the players are simply not ready to walk in and play in the pros right away. Most HS players need at least 3 years of development time, most need more. These kids are so far from what they will turn out to be. Traditional scouting is very inconsistent. The actual percentage of players who make it in the pros is also miniscule. I think that televising the draft will be really cool, but it won't have the hype of other drafts because these players won't be ready to play in the majors yet.



    I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

    Comment


    • #3
      Last year we had a pretty good thread going on draft day, i'm expecting the same this year.

      Also, Last year the Dodgers had the 6th pick, so I was pretty sure they were eyeing and hoping Kershaw to fall to them, which he did :) This year with the 20th pick, I don't know what to expect. It will most likely be another high-schooler pitcher.
      Last edited by slightlyaraiderfan; 05-09-2007, 12:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's gonne be televised on ESPN this year! WOO!
        R.I.P. L.E.F.
        "I am the one who knocks!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Is it true that this is a stong year for Catchers? I saw a top 100 list for this year, and there seemed to be more of them on it that usual . . .

          I ask because Detroit really could use a young catching prospect. Pudge can't play forever.
          R.I.P. L.E.F.
          "I am the one who knocks!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
            Is it true that this is a stong year for Catchers? I saw a top 100 list for this year, and there seemed to be more of them on it that usual . . .

            I ask because Detroit really could use a young catching prospect. Pudge can't play forever.
            Yes, i've heard as many as 6 or 7 catchers have a 1st round grade or close to it. However, catchers rarely go in the 1st round, so a lot of those guys will fall to the supplemental or 2nd round due to tradition and depth of the position.


            Originally posted by BrownsTown

            If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

            2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

            Comment


            • #7
              i will probably tune in... when and what time is the draft going to be televised?

              anyone have any idea who the Cubs are looking at in the #3 spot? I really would prefer a position player because after Pie, we have virtually nothing in the farm system, where at least we have 2-3 solid pitching prospects.


              Sig by me... Hold the applause.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
                anyone have any idea who the Cubs are looking at in the #3 spot?
                Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
                Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (NJ)
                Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina State
                Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (CA)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Phillipe Aumonte is the real deal, I played with the guy last weekend and I will again this weekend. This guy tops out at about 96 and his fastball has some serious movement and it's virtually untouchable. His slider is sick but he sometimes has problems with control. He has yet to master his change up but he's working on it. His fastball is what's really amazing though, i've never seen someone get so much movement on their fastball and throw some damn hard.

                  stephenson86

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I haven't seen a lot about the MLB Draft, but I would expect that the Pirates take a pitcher with the #4 choice, considering that after all the injuries their pitching prospects have suffered, the best pitching prospect we have is Cuban defector Yoslan Herrera (sp?)

                    Are there any left-handed power bats that the Bucs could be looking at at #4?

                    Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
                    Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think it is pretty amazing that the Young bros were both #1 overalls at one point.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                        Phillipe Aumonte is the real deal, I played with the guy last weekend and I will again this weekend. This guy tops out at about 96 and his fastball has some serious movement and it's virtually untouchable. His slider is sick but he sometimes has problems with control. He has yet to master his change up but he's working on it. His fastball is what's really amazing though, i've never seen someone get so much movement on their fastball and throw some damn hard.
                        He's currently ranked 13th by BA, I remember reading about him a while back.
                        You played with him, so that means he didnt get to strike you out?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          At this rate what will the Cardinals record be at the end of the year? Where do you think they will draft next year?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
                            He's currently ranked 13th by BA, I remember reading about him a while back.
                            You played with him, so that means he didnt get to strike you out?
                            Ya fortunately I got to play with him, I got to see him work his magic from CF. It was quite funny to see the flock of scouts that only came to see him pitch then left, there must have been 15 of them and the media coverage of him pitching was pretty big too. When he pitches again this weekend he's even supposed to draw more attention because it will be the last time he pitches before the draft. I think i'm gonna get an autograph or a picture while I have the chance.:)

                            stephenson86

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Steelers4Life View Post
                              I haven't seen a lot about the MLB Draft, but I would expect that the Pirates take a pitcher with the #4 choice, considering that after all the injuries their pitching prospects have suffered, the best pitching prospect we have is Cuban defector Yoslan Herrera (sp?)

                              Are there any left-handed power bats that the Bucs could be looking at at #4?
                              The Pirates best pitching prospect is probably Brad Lincoln, assuming he recovers well from Tommy John surgery. Lincoln projects as a #1/#2 starter while Herrera projects more of a #2/#3/#4 starter.

                              Mike Moustakas is a guy who stock has been soaring. He just broke the California HR record. The best college lefty power hitter is Beau Mills, but he'd be a reach at #4 and he's a liability in the field.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information