Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Penny the face of the NBA in his prime? is he the GOAT to not become a GOAT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Penny the face of the NBA in his prime? is he the GOAT to not become a GOAT?

or is it Grant Hill? or someone else?

I remember Penny was one of the most popular players in the NBA in the 90's and I remember reading some magazine that said Penny's popularity even surpassed Jordan at one point. Some say the league was promoting Grant Hill to take the torch from Jordan and become the face of the NBA, but Penny's popularity continued to rise.

a comparison someone told me was

Grant Hill is Lebron James
    and Penny is D-Wade

the league is pushing Lebron just like they did Grant, but Wade's popularity has seemingly become just as high.

remember Penny had the commercials

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-TEQ0yM...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AK88MQWsY...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3Wv1WzPB...elated&search=

i remember when playing basketball, everyone use to fight over who is Penny...not Jordan or Grant, but everyone would be like "i'm Penny"...and who didnt have one of these

and who could forget what he could do ON the court. He was just a dominant all around playmaker. Kobe could not guard him at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNm9DUDs8k

so do you think he was the face that was suppose to take over after MJ? is he the best player to not become one of the best of all time? or did this belong to Grant Hill?

-sig by jkpigskin

Would it be possible to create a separate section of this forum for just Basketball threads?

Comment

I always remember being a huge Penny fan. I had the little Penny.

Comment

He was good with the Orlando Magic. Was really hyped up with Nike was in Blue Chips the movie as Butch Mcrae. I guess the highlight of his career is beating the Bulls to get to the NBA championship.
        Originally posted by nvot9
        I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
        Indianapolis Colts 13-3
        Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
        Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
        Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Originally posted by ricky bobby View Post
          Would it be possible to create a separate section of this forum for just Basketball threads?
          they really should......

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

injuries took out both Penny and Grant....and as an Orlando Magic fan, it feels like a curse :(

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by -black View Post
              they really should......
              If they di that they would have to make one for baseball too. I actually think it would be a good idea to have an "other sports" section.

Comment

I'd give it to Grant Hill by a hair.

A name that I'd like to throw out here, not because this person was hampered by injuries or could have been the GOAT, but because he is SEVERELY underrated in my opinion is Mitch Richmond.

Wikipedia:
                Richmond is one of only seven players in NBA history to average at least 21 points per game for his first 10 seasons – along with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson.
                Michael Jordan said Richmond was one of the hardest players to defend in the NBA. "There really are no weaknesses in his game," said Jordan. "He can drive to the hoop as well as take the outside jump shot. He reminds me a lot of me in his overall offensive display."
                You never hear Richmond's name when people are discussing all-time greats, which is sad, because he definitely deserves at least a mention.
                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

He was pretty sick in Orlando. I remember everybody was trying to do his crosses. He had the commercial, the girl (Tyra Banks) and the hype at that time, and Michael Jordan was in Minors, I believe, so yeah for a split second he was kind of the face. Not to sure if he was ever the GOAT though.

Comment

he could've been minus the injuries. he was a badass

Comment

I was a big Penny fan as a young'n. Loved him and Shaq tearin it up. I think I might've had a Penny jersey, but I know I had 2 or 3 pieces of Magic apparel.
                      I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Penny Hardaway is probably my favorite NBA player of all time.

Comment

I was a pretty big Penny fan, I had his sweet shoes when I was like 12.

Comment

Penny was this close to being one of the league's marquee players for a couple years, if he hadn't gotten hurt, he just may have. Problem is that he played in Shaq's shadow for all of his healthy years and never really got the full star billing. Definitely one of the most entertaining players to watch while in his prime though.

Comment

Penny Hardaway was electric in the 90's and him teaming with Shaq really kindled my love for the NBA game. If not for injuries, Penny would have been a huge star in this league and would have won some rings. Hell of a player and a nice guy as well, you can't ask for much more and wish more players were like him.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                              On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                              Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information