The Literature Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthernPride396 View Post
    also, rainbeukid, check out Dale Brown. His writing is kinda like taking a Tom Clancy story, making it Air Force instead of Navy, then write it in the style of Clive Cussler. He wrote alot too.
    i have, i have read a couple of them, i just couldn't recall him because all of my books of him are at my dad's house and so when i was looking on my bookshelf i didn't see any of them

Comment

Originally posted by wiscbadgerfootball View Post
      idk if anyone else has read Tears of a Tiger.. very good book, emotional though
      i think ive read this book before is it about a war?

Comment

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
        The Ambler Warning was very good and surprising, makes you think. at least, i think that i am thinking of the right one as i have read a lot of Robert Ludlum, he writes a ton of good books.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

personally, i kinda like the "thriller" genre of books with recurring characters, some of my favorite authors are

Clive Cussler-very talented writer who's books can keep one occupied for a whole summer as he has written a ton featuring Dirk Pitt, others featuring Kurt Austin, and others featuring The Oregon

Jack DuBrul-same genre as Cussler but features Philip Mercer who is a geologist

Vince Flynn-political thrillers that feature Mitch Rapp who is a counter-terrorism operative

Dan Brown-wrote The Davinci Code and others; i like how i am learning things as i read

Robert Ludlum-talented writer who's books include all of the Bourne books, also wrote a ton

James Patterson-has written numerous best-sellers

Tom Clancy-very technical writer and goes in-depth with all of the specifications of different things used, such as submarines. books feature Jack Ryan

James Grippando-novels feature Jack Swyteck, a miami defense attorney; more gory and graphic

ya, i read a lot
        Be very careful about that, most of the stuff in Da'vinci Code he made up. Even with his hard to read style, I still enjoy the plots of his books.

Paradise Lost-John Milton is very good, as is Dante's Inferno.

I don't read much fiction, but these are the books I have read lately.

Tao Te Ching-it is the principles of Daoism, very interesting.

48 Law of Power, 33 Strategies of War, The Art of Seduction- Robert Greene He takes stuff from Machievelli, Sun Tzu, von Clauwitz(sp?), Napoleon, and a great number of politicians and writes about them.

Sperm Wars- Robin Baker It gives biological reasons as to why people are attracted to certain traits, why people cheat, etc. It really changed my view on relationships, both for good, and for bad. I am a lot more cynical of relationships now, but I also would rather know(which after reading, you start to observe the things they talk about) than to not know.

The only fiction book I have read in a while, I am still in the process of, but so far it is really good. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, it is really funny so far.
        Last edited by someone447; 06-12-2007, 02:23 AM.
        I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My favorite graphic novel of all time: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller. I've read that more times than I can count.

My favorite novel of all time: The Illiad. The ultimate tale of human character traits; greed, egotism, revenge, etcetera.

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
            I'll have to read that one. I'm a history nerd.

some other history type books that i enjoyed:

Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horowitz---this is a very interesting book. this guy decides he wants to find out why so many southerners still take such pride in their regions shady past, and why so many are still so in love with flying the Confederate flag. so, he tours the dirty south, visits Civil War Historical sites, meets with historians. it was a great read and i really have a different perspective on the south because of reading this book.

1776-great book about the Revolutionary War.

I'm currently reading a book on the assassination of Robert Kennedy, but it's really slow and pretty full of crazy theories.

I want to read Bill Clinton's autobiography, and maybe The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

Comment

I wouldn't call it "literature" but the Dexter novels by Jeff Lindsay are very good reads even if you never watched the show on Showtime

Comment

I was never much of a book guy. But I was forced to read "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey for a school project and I loved it. It has it's own type of humor that can keep you interested and the plot is very well done. The way Ken Kesy displays things like the role of women and the way he questions the sanity of an everyday person is pretty amazing. It's a very interesting read for anyone looking to pick up a book. The movie was also very good and stayed true to the novel for the most part.

stephenson86

Comment

Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                  I was never much of a book guy. But I was forced to read "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey for a school project and I loved it. It has it's own type of humor that can keep you interested and the plot is very well done. The way Ken Kesy displays things like the role of women and the way he questions the sanity of an everyday person is pretty amazing. It's a very interesting read for anyone looking to pick up a book. The movie was also very good and stayed true to the novel for the most part.
                  The movie was awesome, but having Jack Nicholson helps of course. Great book too.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                    The movie was awesome, but having Jack Nicholson helps of course. Great book too.
                    Nicholson really made the movie, I can't imagine anyone else playing McMurphy.

stephenson86

Comment

Originally posted by JF4 View Post
                      Im gonna have to read it. If a none book reader reads it and likes it, it must be good. Ive been wanting to see the movie for awhile

For the QB's here who want to prefect their game, Montana's Art and Magic of Quarterbacking is good. Its not a novel though, its a how-to book

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
                        Be very careful about that, most of the stuff in Da'vinci Code he made up. Even with his hard to read style, I still enjoy the plots of his books.
                        i know, i just meant the stuff about the paintings, the positions of the people in them, that sort of thing

Comment

i know, i just meant the stuff about the paintings, the positions of the people in them, that sort of thing
                          Nice sig
                          NOT...jk...nice sig

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                            Nice sig
                            NOT...jk...nice sig
                            thanks jk made it for me, and yes i saw the white

Comment

thanks jk made it for me, and yes i saw the white
                              In all seriousness it is nice, cant wait to see him healthy

Comment

I have to read Scarlett Letter for honors english summer HW, is that a good book?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information