Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The definitive Marcus McNeill v D'Brickashaw Ferguson thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050)

CC.SD 12-09-2006 09:26 PM

The definitive Marcus McNeill v D'Brickashaw Ferguson thread

Obviously both are rookie left tackles for clubs that appear to be headed to the playoffs, amazing accomplishments. I thought it would be interesting to get a direct comparison thread going.

I personally like that McNeill is huge, like 6'7 330, but I can't argue that D'Brickashaw's mobility is impressive. Both ahve proven to be very effective pass blockers. I think McNeill has a big leg up in the run blocking department though.

Anyone have any thoughts about the future/current playing of these guys?

yourfavestoner 12-09-2006 10:00 PM

Khalif Barnes>Both

The Unseen 12-09-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Khalif Barnes>Both

mmkay

ny10804 12-09-2006 10:02 PM

I'll take a healthy McNeil. The man was playing with two broken hands...

Windy 12-09-2006 10:04 PM

Neither.

They dont have one of these

rickscott 12-09-2006 10:58 PM

I know he's not getting the pub of those 2, but Andrew Whitworth has started at Guard and now at LT the past 3-4 games for the Bengals and he has shut down some of the better passrushers in the NFL over that period. He too is 6'7" and 330 or more and is very smart. I think he'll be playing LG next year as they allow Steinbach to leave but he's been really good for the Bengals.

Iamcanadian 12-10-2006 12:15 AM

I'd take D'Brick every time. Nobody doubts McNeil's talent, it's not his talent that is the question mark, it's his back with its narrow spinal cord. Nobody and I mean nobody knows how long a career he will have. One hit and his career is over. He never practiced at Auburn for fear of ending his career and I doubt anybody hits him when he practices with San Diego.
We just have to see how long he lasts in the tough game of pro football.

LSU Man 12-10-2006 07:11 AM

Narrow spinal cord? Never heard of anything like that. Anyways both these players are good but i would take McNeil

12-10-2006 07:29 AM

I would take D'Brick but McNeil has played exceptionally well this season.

Iamcanadian 12-10-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSU Man
Narrow spinal cord? Never heard of anything like that. Anyways both these players are good but i would take McNeil

That's why McNeil slipped on draft day.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-10-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Quote:

Yeah, because if he were 100% healthy, no way a 6'7" 330 lb tackle who never gave up a sack in the SEC would slip out of the top 20.

sweetness34 12-10-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really, not because he played too high in college and had bad technique?

Moses 12-10-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34
Quote:

Quote:

It was partly that but his back turned a lot of teams off of him.

Staubach12 12-10-2006 12:56 PM

D'Brick is a better pass blocker. He's more mobile and will be more effective against a speed pass rusher. McNeil is bigger, and better in the run game. He's good against strong guys. I personally like McNeil more because he's just a bit better all around IMO, though he'll most likely have a shorter career due to those back problems.

draftguru151 12-10-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was a lot more because of his back and teams fear of him being out of the league in a few years, which is still possible.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-10-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was a lot more because of his back and teams fear of him being out of the league in a few years, which is still possible.

You can correct his technique, especially when a guy is so physically imposing, even by NFL standards. You can't make his spine thicker.

The Great Jonathan Vilma 12-10-2006 11:25 PM

D'Brick, although McNeil has outplayed him thus far IMO. but like people have said, and the same reason he dropped in the draft, its not his talent, its his durability. i didn't know that his spinal cord was the issue, i thought it was just his back, but that makes it even scarier

Tubby 12-10-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Khalif Barnes>Both

Damn straight

portermvp84 12-11-2006 09:29 AM

I've seen Marcus McNeil he's not a bust or anything, he plays like a pro. He's a good run blocker, than D'Brick. D Brick is a way better pass blocker, and is faster.

tom 12-11-2006 09:33 AM

I think they're both playing at the same level, but McNeil has the cheaper price tag, so I'd take him

marks01234 12-11-2006 10:46 AM

If I'm playing tomorrow, McNeil.

If I'm starting a franchise, D'Brick.