Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Charger fortunes (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058)

ninerfan 12-10-2006 10:04 PM

Charger fortunes

Chargers 11-2 would they better with Brees under centre ?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-10-2006 10:07 PM

Noe.

The Unseen 12-10-2006 10:07 PM

No.

marks01234 12-10-2006 10:09 PM

I'd take Rivers over Brees and I think he's a big reason they are the best team in football.

PalmerToCJ 12-10-2006 10:11 PM

I think it worked out wonderful for both sides. Hard to say the Chargers would be very different with Drees or Rivers in there.

P-L 12-10-2006 10:12 PM

I think they'd still be 11-2.

Hurricane Ditka 12-10-2006 10:14 PM

With Tomlinson, Gates and that defense, Rex Grossman would be 11-2.

doingthisinsteadofwork 12-10-2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka

no theyd be 10-3 they would have lost to Oakland.

Hurricane Ditka 12-10-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka

no theyd be 10-3 they would have lost to Oakland.

My good sir, I'm afraid you didn't get the joke.

bigbluedefense 12-10-2006 10:40 PM

Same regular season record. But if Rivers loses in the playoffs, you can make a VERY strong case that they couldve won it all this year with Brees. River's inexperience could hurt them in the postseason. With Brees, this team is easily the clearcut favorite to win the SB.

Moses 12-10-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Same regular season record. But if Rivers loses in the playoffs, you can make a VERY strong case that they couldve won it all this year with Brees. River's inexperience could hurt them in the postseason. With Brees, this team is easily the clearcut favorite to win the SB.

That's a good point. It gets substanially harder to run the football in the playoffs even for a guy like Tomlinson.

San Diego Chicken 12-11-2006 04:52 AM

I think Rivers having better protection makes him look better than Brees did last year. If you put Brees back there this year with this year's line I think the Chargers would have had the same record. In reality they are similar quarterbacks. Rivers is better at working the 25-40 yard range of the field, so long term there won't be any major hangups about letting Brees walk (unless he beats the Chargers in a Super Bowl)

duckseason 12-11-2006 06:00 AM

No. They wouldn't be able to pay both of them. Keep Brees, and you create an imbalance within the team. They chose the best guy for their future. Brees may have made them a slightly better team this year, but I think Rivers makes them the better team over the long term. It would be pretty interesting to see them face off in Miami though.

Mr. Stiller 12-11-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason
No. They wouldn't be able to pay both of them. Keep Brees, and you create an imbalance within the team. They chose the best guy for their future. Brees may have made them a slightly better team this year, but I think Rivers makes them the better team over the long term. It would be pretty interesting to see them face off in Miami though.

Who knows, Brees could bomb out in 2 years. I don't think he's as good as Brees. Brees would have this team at 11-2 if not better... he wouldn't have lost to the Ravens.

CC.SD 12-11-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Quote:

Who knows, Brees could bomb out in 2 years. I don't think he's as good as Brees. Brees would have this team at 11-2 if not better... he wouldn't have lost to the Ravens.

He probably wouldn't have come back against Cincy and Denver though. For the first time in his career, LT is seeing 7 man fronts. I think that's all you need to know about Brees vs. Rivers.

bigbluedefense 12-11-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCohen
Quote:

Quote:

He probably wouldn't have come back against Cincy and Denver though. For the first time in his career, LT is seeing 7 man fronts. I think that's all you need to know about Brees vs. Rivers.

Are you implying that Rivers gets more respect from DC's than Brees? Brees is QBing the best offense in the NFL outside the Colts. Rivers has the measureables, but I think Brees is one heck of a qb. He deserves some credit, he's my OPOY. LT is my MVP.

portermvp84 12-11-2006 10:34 AM

They're doing fine without him, Rivers has proven himself to get the job done. This is probably the AFC team to go to the SB this year. Great RB, Good QB, Good Reciver, and a strong D. IMo these guys are gonna go far in the playoffs.

marks01234 12-11-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you implying that Rivers gets more respect from DC's than Brees? Brees is QBing the best offense in the NFL outside the Colts. Rivers has the measureables, but I think Brees is one heck of a qb. He deserves some credit, he's my OPOY. LT is my MVP.

I'd imply that. Rivers has a much stronger arm and is much more of a threat to throw the deep ball. Just watching yesterday, Rivers burned the Broncos secondary when they started out 8 in the box. Then Denver adjusted and LT started to warm up.

bigbluedefense 12-11-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marks01234
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd imply that. Rivers has a much stronger arm and is much more of a threat to throw the deep ball. Just watching yesterday, Rivers burned the Broncos secondary when they started out 8 in the box. Then Denver adjusted and LT started to warm up.

But who says Brees can't deliver the deepball? Did you see the Sunday Night Game? Brees was unconscious with the deepball.

CC.SD 12-11-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But who says Brees can't deliver the deepball? Did you see the Sunday Night Game? Brees was unconscious with the deepball.

It's no knock on Brees, for my money he's the second best QB in the league, and first ain't Peyton. :D

But facts are facts, and during Brees' tenure in SD, even during his best years, there were still 8 or 9 guys stuffed in the box to shut LT down, and this year...not so much. Teams will try and sneak it in there and Rivers has made them pay very dearly a lot of the time.

So yes, I'm implying that Rivers commands more attention than Brees did, because I've been watching it. But it's really more like picking your poison with either QB. Brees is still, well, a saint really.

VoteLynnSwan 12-11-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's no knock on Brees, for my money he's the second best QB in the league, and first ain't Peyton. :D

But facts are facts, and during Brees' tenure in SD, even during his best years, there were still 8 or 9 guys stuffed in the box to shut LT down, and this year...not so much. Teams will try and sneak it in there and Rivers has made them pay very dearly a lot of the time.

So yes, I'm implying that Rivers commands more attention than Brees did, because I've been watching it. But it's really more like picking your poison with either QB. Brees is still, well, a saint really.

Please.

CC.SD 12-11-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please.

I'm just saying, no one has led their team to more victories this year than Phil, and he's done it spectacular fashion.

hee hee Colts fans. It's okay everybody else thinks Peyton is number 1, you can deal with a few dissenters.

bigbluedefense 12-11-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please.

I'm just saying, no one has led their team to more victories this year than Phil, and he's done it spectacular fashion.

hee hee Colts fans. It's okay everybody else thinks Peyton is number 1, you can deal with a few dissenters.

Wait, so you were serious, not joking? Come on dude, thats a bit much. Thats like a Steeler's fan saying Ben was the best qb in the NFL last year.

CC.SD 12-11-2006 01:33 PM

No, clearly the smiley face indicates a joke.

However, a couple years from Rivers just like this one and I'll get serious.

PhillyChargerFan 12-12-2006 10:28 AM

We would still be 11 and 2 but the 2 losses would be against Cincy and Denver (the 1st Denver game). No way Brees wins those games..