Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Time for Al Davis to give up day to day operations of the (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080)

eacantdraft 12-14-2006 09:18 AM

Time for Al Davis to give up day to day operations of the
 
Raiders?

Since John Gruden left and the Super Bowl year after that, the Raiders have had one of the worst record in the NFL.

The Raiders have consistantl drafted busts despite picking high. They still try to get by with an offensive philosophy stuck in the 60's and 70's. Taking other team head cases are now head cases for the Raiders.

Time for Al to see someone else run the team.

Tubby 12-14-2006 09:20 AM

I said "no, he's a legend" but what I meant was "no, he's so bad that the raiders are a guarenteed win for the hawks"

eacantdraft 12-14-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby
I said "no, he's a legend" but what I meant was "no, he's so bad that the raiders are a guarenteed win for the hawks"

But you guys now only play the Raiders once every 4 years. You guys used to have a great rivalry with the Raiders and Denver. The St. Louis Rams - Seahawks rivalry just doesn't measure up as well.

portermvp84 12-14-2006 09:46 AM

The day Al Davis leaves the Raiders is the day he dies.

Splat 12-14-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
The day Al Davis leaves the Raiders is the day he dies.

I don't think he should leave the Raiders but he should just sign the checks and let someone else run the team but I know never going to happen.

Mr. Stiller 12-14-2006 11:25 AM

He's having 4 bad seasons? I bet Arizona/Cleveland would give anything they had to atleast be able to say "They went to the superbowl, a few great years and then some subpar seasons".

Kurve 12-14-2006 12:07 PM

As a die hard raider fan there many occasions where i wish we had a new modern owner that would let them compete better in this era of time. No matter how much i say that i really think back Al is the raiders no matter how much you disagree with his ways of running the team its very hard to imagine raiders without Al. He has done so much for the Raiders and for all of the National Football league. Al will run his team the way he has ran a team for all his career as a former coach he runs a team as if he is still a couch. Raiders have been in a slump for few years since the superbowl apperance, and yes much of it is due to the way Al runs his team. I dont think it will change until the day he dies otherwise i couldnt see him ever giving the team up its his heart and soul.

eacantdraft 12-14-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
He's having 4 bad seasons? I bet Arizona/Cleveland would give anything they had to atleast be able to say "They went to the superbowl, a few great years and then some subpar seasons".

The Raiders have gone from being compared to the Dallas Cowboys, the NY Yankees, and the Boston Celtics as model sports franchises. Now they are being compared to the new Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals. What a dive.

Mr. Stiller 12-14-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
He's having 4 bad seasons? I bet Arizona/Cleveland would give anything they had to atleast be able to say "They went to the superbowl, a few great years and then some subpar seasons".

The Raiders have gone from being compared to the Dallas Cowboys, the NY Yankees, and the Boston Celtics as model sports franchises. Now they are being compared to the new Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals. What a dive.

Every team has a dive time... Colts before manning... Chargers for a while.

Teams go through cycles. God forbid the raiders have 4 down years. Look at Detroit. They're been on a dive since Batch and Sanders left...

Why is everyone more gunho at Al Davis, than Fords/Millen or Cards Owner/GM.

Paranoidmoonduck 12-14-2006 12:47 PM

Al Davis' unique owner style certainly makes it tough on coaches and might not be the most up to date practice in the world. However, I really doubt the man has lost it.

Either way, television broadcasts have stopped showing shots of Al Davis in his owner's suite for a reason. He is really starting to look bad. He is clinching his jaw as if he is in constant physical pain. I don't know how much longer he has (hopefully plenty), but I really don't think he'll be able to run the team like he has in past years. I'm sure he'll make the draft and personnel decisions, but there is no way he can continue to be around the team like I'm sure he wants.

Personally, I'm scared that once Al leaves the Raiders (for whatever reason), that the team is going to get moved to LA.

Quote:

Why is everyone more gunho at Al Davis, than Fords/Millen or Cards Owner/GM.
Because his technique is extreme, and while it's easy to say that is why they won all those years, it is just as easy to say that is why they're losing now.

eacantdraft 12-14-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Al Davis' unique owner style certainly makes it tough on coaches and might not be the most up to date practice in the world. However, I really doubt the man has lost it.

Either way, television broadcasts have stopped showing shots of Al Davis in his owner's suite for a reason. He is really starting to look bad. He is clinching his jaw as if he is in constant physical pain. I don't know how much longer he has (hopefully plenty), but I really don't think he'll be able to run the team like he has in past years. I'm sure he'll make the draft and personnel decisions, but there is no way he can continue to be around the team like I'm sure he wants.

Personally, I'm scared that once Al leaves the Raiders (for whatever reason), that the team is going to get moved to LA.

Quote:

Why is everyone more gunho at Al Davis, than Fords/Millen or Cards Owner/GM.
Because his technique is extreme, and while it's easy to say that is why they won all those years, it is just as easy to say that is why they're losing now.

The Raiders haven't won anything in 23 years. And with the exception of the Gruden/Gannon years, they have been plagued by head scratching draft picks, questionable free agent pickups, inconsistancy. This has been going on for two decades now. Since 1986 they have made the playoffs 6 times (3 in the Gannon era). From 1967 to 1985 they missed the playoffs 4 times.

ninerfan 12-14-2006 02:18 PM

this thread is only about a decade late

Mr. Stiller 12-14-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Al Davis' unique owner style certainly makes it tough on coaches and might not be the most up to date practice in the world. However, I really doubt the man has lost it.

Either way, television broadcasts have stopped showing shots of Al Davis in his owner's suite for a reason. He is really starting to look bad. He is clinching his jaw as if he is in constant physical pain. I don't know how much longer he has (hopefully plenty), but I really don't think he'll be able to run the team like he has in past years. I'm sure he'll make the draft and personnel decisions, but there is no way he can continue to be around the team like I'm sure he wants.

Personally, I'm scared that once Al leaves the Raiders (for whatever reason), that the team is going to get moved to LA.

Quote:

Why is everyone more gunho at Al Davis, than Fords/Millen or Cards Owner/GM.
Because his technique is extreme, and while it's easy to say that is why they won all those years, it is just as easy to say that is why they're losing now.

The Raiders haven't won anything in 23 years. And with the exception of the Gruden/Gannon years, they have been plagued by head scratching draft picks, questionable free agent pickups, inconsistancy. This has been going on for two decades now. Since 1986 they have made the playoffs 6 times (3 in the Gannon era). From 1967 to 1985 they missed the playoffs 4 times.


Theres teams that have never won a superbowl, rarely have gone to the playoffs (if that).


I think the problem is... Moss, Porter and Shell.


Fix those 3 and frankly i could see them turning it around...

Grid 12-14-2006 04:43 PM

Oakland pass defense is best in the league and over all defense is also not bad. They needs allot of work on offense starting with their QB. They also need to get rid of malcontent players like Moss, etc.,

Mr. Stiller 12-14-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grid
Oakland pass defense is best in the league and over all defense is also not bad. They needs allot of work on offense starting with their QB. They also need to get rid of malcontent players like Moss, etc.,

if they add a good OLB (I'm not sold on Bing Yet)... put Branch on their DT

They'll have easily one of the top defenses in he league.. they need a guy that's a leader, and it starts at the head coaching spot. Then they need a QB that can lead after that. Then WR's that want to play.

Boom, you have an offense.

Xonraider 12-14-2006 05:07 PM

There was a report of Steve Young attempting to buy stocks from the feachise but Dvias declined. Then about a month ago I read Davis was selling 40% of the Raiders stocks but there were no takers. What worries me is that Davis will make Art Shell "Head of Foobtall operations" if he doesn't sell the team, which will doom us for ever. Another option is naming Mike Lombardi the GM, and he fires Shell and goes for Petrino.

doingthisinsteadofwork 12-14-2006 08:04 PM

The only way Al will give up the Raiders is by dieing.I shudder to think who will replace him.As long as I lived its been Al Davis as the face of the Franchise.With him gone could all of the Raider traditions leave?If I had the choice of Al leaving ownership right now and the Raiders winning 10 straight superbowls but losing all the old Raider traditions or him leaving 10 years from now with losing seasons but keeping the traditions.I might take the 2nd choice.The traditions must stay no matter who controls the Raiders.

Shiver 12-15-2006 01:29 AM

For the good of the Raiders I would hope he'd step down. I thought he lost it after they, yet again, took another first round defensive back last year.

Xonraider 12-15-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver
For the good of the Raiders I would hope he'd step down. I thought he lost it after they, yet again, took another first round defensive back last year.

Which actually led to having the best pass defense in the league. So what's your point? :?

4pAc 12-15-2006 01:56 AM

I can't imagine the raiders without Al Davis

yourfavestoner 12-15-2006 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonraider
There was a report of Steve Young attempting to buy stocks from the feachise but Dvias declined. Then about a month ago I read Davis was selling 40% of the Raiders stocks but there were no takers. What worries me is that Davis will make Art Shell "Head of Foobtall operations" if he doesn't sell the team, which will doom us for ever. Another option is naming Mike Lombardi the GM, and he fires Shell and goes for Petrino.

Aren't the Packers the only team in the NFL with public stock?

Windy 12-15-2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonraider
There was a report of Steve Young attempting to buy stocks from the feachise but Dvias declined. Then about a month ago I read Davis was selling 40% of the Raiders stocks but there were no takers. What worries me is that Davis will make Art Shell "Head of Foobtall operations" if he doesn't sell the team, which will doom us for ever. Another option is naming Mike Lombardi the GM, and he fires Shell and goes for Petrino.

Aren't the Packers the only team in the NFL with public stock?

Yea the Raiders arent a public franchise. He wants to sell 30% of the ownership but the buyer gets no control or say in the team.

eacantdraft 12-15-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
The only way Al will give up the Raiders is by dieing.I shudder to think who will replace him.As long as I lived its been Al Davis as the face of the Franchise.With him gone could all of the Raider traditions leave?If I had the choice of Al leaving ownership right now and the Raiders winning 10 straight superbowls but losing all the old Raider traditions or him leaving 10 years from now with losing seasons but keeping the traditions.I might take the 2nd choice.The traditions must stay no matter who controls the Raiders.

OK. If mediocrity is your tradition, then go root for it. Being a Giants fan, I wanted George Young to retire gracefully when he started drafting on first round bust after another (after Rodney Hampton). The guy rambled incoheritantly on radio shows. He went from hero to embarrassment. Time change, I want my team to win.

Shiver 12-15-2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonraider
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver
For the good of the Raiders I would hope he'd step down. I thought he lost it after they, yet again, took another first round defensive back last year.

Which actually led to having the best pass defense in the league. So what's your point? :?

Which has led to the Raiders success.... :roll: Building a team around fast defensive backs, for the first round of the past three out of four years was dumb, and a big reason why they are in a crapper at this point and time.

portermvp84 12-15-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
The only way Al will give up the Raiders is by dieing.I shudder to think who will replace him.As long as I lived its been Al Davis as the face of the Franchise.With him gone could all of the Raider traditions leave?If I had the choice of Al leaving ownership right now and the Raiders winning 10 straight superbowls but losing all the old Raider traditions or him leaving 10 years from now with losing seasons but keeping the traditions.I might take the 2nd choice.The traditions must stay no matter who controls the Raiders.

I totally agree Raiderfootball is based on Raider tradions.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.