Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Daily Show or The Colbert Report? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123)

03-28-2006 09:57 PM

The Daily Show or The Colbert Report?

This question is for people who watch these shows on Comedy Central. While they are both political satires, they both have their differences in humor. They are both great, but the question is which do you prefer to watch? My vote goes to the Daily Show. This is not to discuss politics, just which you prefer.

AlexDown 03-28-2006 10:02 PM

I watch them both but I gotta go with Colbert Report.

ny10804 03-28-2006 10:05 PM

If you threw in Sportscenter, my head would explode trying to make a decision.

CR < Daily Show opening sequence / news
DS < Colbert Report "Tonight's Word"
CR < Daily Show interview

so, Daily Show gets my vote

Bruise 03-28-2006 10:09 PM

Jon Stuart uses comedy that is direct and normally makes fun of something. Stephen Colbert uses goofy satire to achieve laughs, but mostly makes himself as stupid as the things he's making fun of.

I watch the Colbert Report more because it has things going on all the time, but the Daily Show is a better overall program.

KILLERSANTA 03-28-2006 10:15 PM

Colbert Report

Jerzeyrugger 03-28-2006 10:15 PM

great thread, i love both shows and watch them both....but i'm going with the CR because of how stephen runs over to the interviewer while taking high fives

Some Dude 03-28-2006 10:24 PM

Probably Daily show, although I watch both.

Nerv 03-28-2006 10:39 PM

Jon Stewart has become too much of a whiney liberal, Colbert Report is a lot funnier.

my future me 03-28-2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv
Jon Stewart has become too much of a whiney liberal, Colbert Report is a lot funnier.

CR is pure satire

NewAgePack 03-28-2006 10:53 PM

i like the daily show a little bit better cause it's easier to understand.

Shane P. Hallam 03-28-2006 10:55 PM

Colbert just needs to get better at his interviews and then that show would win. Stewart is just incredible there. It's funny with both different sides of the spectrum in terms of the satire they dispose, and I more enjoy when it's the other side being used. Heh...

krebstar2000 03-28-2006 10:56 PM

I love them both, Daily show for news and he always has intresting interviews. But I love Colbert report because it's a dead on satire of fox news. I don't know if most people don't understand that or what but that's all it is. It reminds me of how the daily show started out. My favorites are when he does the congresional districts, very good stuff.

The Fat Kid 03-29-2006 01:02 AM

there should be a handycap here, because steven is all alone on his show, while jon has other people ( dan bakkedahl, rob coodry, nate coordy, ed helms, lewis black, jason jones, demitry martin) im cheating here and sayin its a tie. jon makes jokes, steven makes fun of people.

Daily Show = Colbert Report

Quote:

If you threw in Sportscenter, my head would explode trying to make a decision.
i agree

giantfAn 03-29-2006 01:34 AM

colbert report... haha i love to watch "the word" funniest part of show usually.

3projectPAT6 03-29-2006 02:25 AM

i like how colbert interviews, lol, he always forces the person to say they hate our troops or hate america... and as stupid as he knows he sounds he never breaks down into laughter.

jon just cant keep a straight face anymore.

Shiver 03-29-2006 02:27 AM

I enjoy Colbert's show better.

Vespasian 03-29-2006 04:26 AM

The Daily Show although the Word is funny.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake 03-29-2006 04:23 PM

Has anyone seen the "Da Vinci Code" thing they did on the Colbert report?

Dwight 03-29-2006 04:24 PM

The best part of Stewart's show was Colbert.. now you get pure Colbert... so Colbert. Jon's show gets horribly boring when he goes into his interviews, which is usually when I change the channel.

HChu 03-29-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight
The best part of Stewart's show was Colbert.. now you get pure Colbert... so Colbert. Jon's show gets horribly boring when he goes into his interviews, which is usually when I change the channel.

Dwight is so smart. I agree with him.

Brodeur 03-29-2006 04:42 PM

They both are excellent and make great combos with Conan, but I'd have to give the slightest possible advantage to the Daily Show, although Colbert just keeps getting better.

ny10804 03-29-2006 04:45 PM

From the creators of the Colbert Report...the Colbert Report.

tied up now

someone447 03-29-2006 04:46 PM

I love the Colbert Reports satire. The Daily Show makes jokes, the Colbert Report is a joke. I liked the one when Colbert interviewed the guy about our privacy rights. The guy said he would let his wife or girlfriend listen in, but not his president. Colbert would not drop it, he just kept asking if his girlfriend knew what he was doing. It was absolutely hilarious. Or when he has a huge liberal on his show and he asks, George Bush, great president, or the greatest president. Then he told one guy, for the record Ben Franklin said great. Then it cuts to him interviewing Ben Franklin, and Ben Franklin says, I have honestly never met the man, so Colbert whispers to himself, so I'll put you down for great.

Colbert Report is just pure comic genious, right up there with south park in terms of satire.

ny10804 03-29-2006 04:54 PM

Somebody mentioned the Fox News things.

I bet for about 1/3 of the people who watch don't get what is really going on when they show the Fox News clips. Since the 2000 election, Fox News's republican-ness is super obvious. Like 2 weeks after the Dick Chaney incident, they showed news clips of people saying it wasn't a big deal. Every single one was associated with Fox. What I find funny is how he doesn't mention any of the obvious bias-ness of Fox.

03-29-2006 04:55 PM

Colbert seems to like to try and poke fun his guest by putting words in their mouth just to see how they'll react. The reactions are almost funnier than what he says at times. Jon Stewart discusses issues and makes more jokes about what they are taking about rather than what the person thinks.