Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12583)

ccB 09-04-2007 03:49 PM

Read any good books lately?

I recently took a job where I am asked to watch over a computer lab, I spend most of my day reading, so I ask you NFLDC, read any good books lately? Give me some recommendations. I am a fan of authors such as Hunter S. Thompson, Bret Easton Ellis, Mark Danielewski, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Currently I am reading:

scottyboy 09-04-2007 03:52 PM

even though it was for school, I read the values of the game, by Bill Bradley. short book, but very interesting. a great read during the time of point shaving, dog fighting, steroids etc. shouldnt take more than really an hour to finish, but i really enjoyed it. a great read for basketball/sports fans

thule 09-04-2007 04:02 PM

I haven't read it yet but I would love to get some time to read Tony Dungy's book.

On another note I am thinking about getting into Ayn Rand books. Never heard anyone say they didn't like them. They are really deep books. I wiki'd a couple of them and needless to say want to get into them.
Atlas shrugged and Fountainhead would be the first two I would read.

bsaza2358 09-04-2007 04:02 PM

I recommend:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (my favorite book ever)

For non-fiction lovers, there is a series of books about Theodore Roosevelt that are fantastic.

I am also finishing up a very sobering look at radical Islam called The Sword of the Prophet, by Serge Trifkovic [Note: I am not trying to incite a religious discussion. It is just a very good read.]

AlexDown 09-04-2007 04:03 PM

I am reading Chuck Palahniuk right now actually.

I would HIGHLY recommend My Losing Season by Pat Conroy.

bearsfan_51 09-04-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thule (Post 595507)
I haven't read it yet but I would love to get some time to read Tony Dungy's book.

On another note I am thinking about getting into Ayn Rand books. Never heard anyone say they didn't like them. They are really deep books. I wiki'd a couple of them and needless to say want to get into them.

You've never heard anyone say they didn't like Ayn Rand? Are you f'n kidding me? Ayn Rand is one of the most controversial/hated authors in the history of literature. Haven't you ever seen the South Park where Officer Barbrady learns to read?

Anyway, as a graduate student about 75% of my day is reading, though I doubt many would interest the general public. One really good (and short) book that I always read for inspiration is 'Man's Search for Meaning'. It's a holocaust survivors account of how he made it through each day using existential thought etc. Really good book.

Another good book if you really like coffee is 'The Social History of Coffee', however it's not for the novice reader so there are probably more accessible books on the subject available at Borders or something.

UKfan 09-04-2007 04:08 PM

Not sure if it'll be your kind of book, but I just finished "The Bancroft Strategy" by Robert Ludlum and really enjoyed it, one of his best books.

thule 09-04-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 595519)
You've never heard anyone say they didn't like Ayn Rand? Are you f'n kidding me? Ayn Rand is one of the most controversial/hated authors in the history of literature. Haven't you ever seen the South Park where Officer Barbrady learns to read?

Anyway, as a graduate student about 75% of my day is reading, though I doubt many would interest the general public. One really good (and short) book that I always read for inspiration is 'Man's Search for Meaning'. It's a holocaust survivors account of how he made it through each day using existential thought etc. Really good book.

Another good book if you really like coffee is 'The Social History of Coffee', however it's not for the novice reader so there are probably more accessible books on the subject available at Borders or something.

I'm talking about people I know who have read the books. I'm not talking about what some scribe is writing in the New York Times.

SubNoize 09-04-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thule (Post 595507)

Atlas Shrugged was absolutely awful, I don't like her style of writing and it's very dry and dragging to me. I don't think you should read Atlas Shrugged.

bearsfan_51 09-04-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thule (Post 595527)
I'm talking about people I know who have read the books. I'm not talking about what some scribe is writing in the New York Times.

Haha..alright well either way, there are a lot of people that hate Ayn Rand, and they aren't all self-important book critiques. Try assigning one of her books in a classroom and gauge the response.

thule 09-04-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 595539)
Haha..alright well either way, there are a lot of people that hate Ayn Rand, and they aren't all self-important book critiques. Try assigning one of her books in a classroom and gauge the response.

Any forced reading is going to be subject to criticism.

SuperKevin 09-04-2007 04:18 PM

Im reading "Blood Makes the grass Grow Green" by Johnny Rico. It's a memoir of a guy who dropped everything to join the Army and go to Afghanistan after 9/11. Great book

Addict 09-04-2007 04:19 PM

just finished this one, now not reading anything since I'm writing.

Shiver 09-04-2007 04:19 PM

Fahrenheit 451

bsaza2358 09-04-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubNoize (Post 595531)
Atlas Shrugged was absolutely awful, I don't like her style of writing and it's very dry and dragging to me. I don't think you should read Atlas Shrugged.

Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical manifesto with a lot of depth and a lot of dry parts. It is masked as a story, but it is hard core philosophy. The Fountainhead is a cool story with love, sex, deception, legal drama, violence, explosions, etc. I only recommend The Fountainhead because it is a good read and easier to comprehend than a lot of her other work.

skinzzfan25 09-04-2007 04:28 PM

I'm, unwillingly, reading the Scarlet Letter.

It sucks. Hard.

volman88 09-04-2007 04:29 PM

Most have already, or will soon, but In Cold Blood is very good.

thule 09-04-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 (Post 595574)

It sucks. Hard.

I don't think that makes sense.

However if you get past the forced concept it actually is a decent read.

SubNoize 09-04-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 595555)
Atlas Shrugged is a philosophical manifesto with a lot of depth and a lot of dry parts. It is masked as a story, but it is hard core philosophy. The Fountainhead is a cool story with love, sex, deception, legal drama, violence, explosions, etc. I only recommend The Fountainhead because it is a good read and easier to comprehend than a lot of her other work.

I just hate how she makes her characters so plain and hard to relate to. People say that she is great with plotting and story telling but it's hard to place yourself in the story when you can't relate with any of the characters. Atlas Shrugged def. touches on politics and even religion, and is really like you said masked as a story, but it's just to dry for my tastes and i would like to have know her characters better.

scottyboy 09-04-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 (Post 595574)

It sucks. Hard.

it sucked when i read it for school(partially because i didn't care and barely read it).

but then i went back and re-read it for the final, and liked it. a lot.

bsaza2358 09-04-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubNoize (Post 595581)
I just hate how she makes her characters so plain and hard to relate to. People say that she is great with plotting and story telling but it's hard to place yourself in the story when you can't relate with any of the characters. Atlas Shrugged def. touches on politics and even religion, and is really like you said masked as a story, but it's just to dry for my tastes and i would like to have know her characters better.

You have to give The Fountainhead a try, then. Much better story, about 300 pages shorter, and much better with character development. I found Atlas Shrugged dry and difficult to read, but I've read The Fountainhead dozens of times, and it's still awesome.

Damix 09-04-2007 04:38 PM

Just finished up the asian saga by Clavell, great set of books, but LONG.

Also I'm reading Clive Cussler's latest Dirk Pitt novel, always a fun read.

SuperKevin 09-04-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damix (Post 595598)
Just finished up the asian saga by Clavell, great set of books, but LONG.

Also I'm reading Clive Cussler's latest Dirk Pitt novel, always a fun read.

I love Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books. My dad has all of them. I've read a few of them. I particularly liked Shockwave

TimD 09-04-2007 04:49 PM

had to read Life of Pi for school... really enjoyed

gbpackers0065 09-04-2007 04:50 PM

http://www.smpl.org/cwr/kite%20runner.jpg
INCREDIBLE, the plot twists make it a real page-turner.

EDIT: How come my IMG tags don't work?