Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   NFC North Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Best Defensive Division in Football? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12862)

Bearsfan123 09-11-2007 03:40 PM

Best Defensive Division in Football?

You look at three out of the four teams, the Lions being the exception, and we have three very deep, very talented defenses in this division. Each D-line has at least 2 guys on it that are considered great talents/great fits. Some of the best Linebackers in the league are in this division. Corners and safeties are good, really this is the only part of the D where the NFC North isnt a leader, but due to the Cover 2 scheme the way they play is a bit different anyway.

bearsfan_51 09-11-2007 04:39 PM

It just depends on how you look at it. We're probably the only division that has three very good defenses but the Lions defense is so god awful that collectively I just don't know. The AFC East, for example, doesn't have any weak defenses. The Jets are the weakest of the four and they're nowhere near as bad as the Lions.

bearfan 09-11-2007 05:34 PM

I think w/in 2-3 years the NFC North will be one of the best divisions in football. Vikes, Lions, Pack and Bears have the makings for good offenses, and like you said 3/4 of the teams have good defenses.

yo123 09-11-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearfan (Post 610762)
I think w/in 2-3 years the NFC North will be one of the best divisions in football. Vikes, Lions, Pack and Bears have the makings for good offenses, and like you said 3/4 of the teams have good defenses.

I think its stretching to say we could have a good offense. Adequate maybe, but not good.

Don Vito 09-11-2007 07:59 PM

AFC East and North are both pretty good.

Crazy_Chris 09-12-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 610652)
It just depends on how you look at it. We're probably the only division that has three very good defenses but the Lions defense is so god awful that collectively I just don't know. The AFC East, for example, doesn't have any weak defenses. The Jets are the weakest of the four and they're nowhere near as bad as the Lions.

Very true i look at it the the other way... IMO The Quality of the other 3 defenses makes up for the lack of defense for the lions.

TitleTown088 09-12-2007 03:14 AM

Man, I just don't know... The lions defense is just plain terrible. The other three should be great this season though.

Bearsfan123 09-12-2007 08:19 PM

well with the exception of the Lions (who btw seem to be the opposite of every other NFC North team) Id say this division is at least top 3 with strong arguments for it being #1.

TacticaLion 09-18-2007 12:36 PM

The Cover 2 can get by with shortcomings at CB... and, with a healthy Bullocks, our safeties would be solid. Sims is a complete beast, and our DLine is one of the best.

We don't have a great (or good) defense, but, for a Cover 2, we have the right personnel.

awfullyquiet 09-19-2007 02:09 AM

*sigh*

what makes a good line tactica? production? sacks hurries hits? average YPC? the fact they (meaning the lions) could probably give up 400 yards to jamal lewis (if we were playing the AFCN this year) makes them a good line?

show me something!

TacticaLion 09-19-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfullyquiet (Post 623744)
*sigh*

what makes a good line tactica? production? sacks hurries hits? average YPC? the fact they (meaning the lions) could probably give up 400 yards to jamal lewis (if we were playing the AFCN this year) makes them a good line?

show me something!

Their effect on the game. Want to see something? In how many different ways? Let me break it down:

Stats:

Yards Against PG (NFL Rank) - Bears (5th), Packers (14th), Vikings (20th), Lions (22nd).

Pass Defense (NFL Rank) - Bears (13th), Packers (14th), Lions (21st), Vikings (25th).

Run Defense (NFL Rank) - Bears (4th), Vikings (6th), Packers (13th), Lions (14th).

Sacks (Number/NFL Rank) - Bears (6/T-8th), Lions (6/T-8th), Packers (5/T-13), Vikings (2/T-24th)

INTs (Number/NFL Rank) - Lions (5/T-1st), Vikings (5/T-1st), Bears (3/T-5th), Packers (2/T-13th)

FFs (Number/NFL Rank) - Bears (4/T-4th), Lions (3/T-10th), Packers (1/T-23rd), Vikings (0/T-30th)

Player Stats

Dewayne White - 10 TOT, 1 Sack, 1 INT, 2 FF
Shaun Rogers - 1 TOT, 1 FR (1 FG Block)
Cory Redding - 7 TOT
Kalimba Edwards - 5 TOT, 2.5 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR

Big Plays

Week 1 - Shaun Rogers blocked a Janikowski FG.

Week 1 - Dewayne White dropped back into coverage and intercepted a McCown pass that stopped a comeback drive.

Week 1 - Dewayne White sack/forced a fumble on McCown late in the game to put the game away. (He also forced another fumble on the same play.)

Week 2 - Shaun Rogers recovered a fumble in OT to set-up the game winning FG.

A Defensive Linemen has turned the game in our favor in each of our first 2 games, and our defense is (statistically) not last or not far behind the other defenses in the NFC North. I, personally, don't think that "team" stats mean much, but the plays they've made do. You've been shown.

So, wait... what was your point again? "I can see clearly now the bullshits gone"...

Smokey Joe 09-19-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticaLion (Post 624001)
Their effect on the game. Want to see something? In how many different ways? Let me break it down:

Stats:

Yards Against PG (NFL Rank) - Bears (5th), Packers (14th), Vikings (20th), Lions (22nd).

Pass Defense (NFL Rank) - Bears (13th), Packers (14th), Lions (21st), Vikings (25th).

Run Defense (NFL Rank) - Bears (4th), Vikings (6th), Packers (13th), Lions (14th).

Sacks (Number/NFL Rank) - Bears (6/T-8th), Lions (6/T-8th), Packers (5/T-13), Vikings (2/T-24th)

INTs (Number/NFL Rank) - Lions (5/T-1st), Vikings (5/T-1st), Bears (3/T-5th), Packers (2/T-13th)

FFs (Number/NFL Rank) - Bears (4/T-4th), Lions (3/T-10th), Packers (1/T-23rd), Vikings (0/T-30th)

Player Stats

Dewayne White - 10 TOT, 1 Sack, 1 INT, 2 FF
Shaun Rogers - 1 TOT, 1 FR (1 FG Block)
Cory Redding - 7 TOT
Kalimba Edwards - 5 TOT, 2.5 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR

Big Plays

Week 1 - Shaun Rogers blocked a Janikowski FG.

Week 1 - Dewayne White dropped back into coverage and intercepted a McCown pass that stopped a comeback drive.

Week 1 - Dewayne White sack/forced a fumble on McCown late in the game to put the game away. (He also forced another fumble on the same play.)

Week 2 - Shaun Rogers recovered a fumble in OT to set-up the game winning FG.

A Defensive Linemen has turned the game in our favor in each of our first 2 games, and our defense is (statistically) not last or not far behind the other defenses in the NFC North. I, personally, don't think that "team" stats mean much, but the plays they've made do. You've been shown.

So, wait... what was your point again? "I can see clearly now the bullshits gone"...

Well, I wouldn't call either Minnesota or Oakland top offenses... so making plays on them isn't that tough.

TacticaLion 09-19-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe (Post 624635)
Well, I wouldn't call either Minnesota or Oakland top offenses... so making plays on them isn't that tough.

He asked to be shown something, so I showed him something. He wanted to know what makes our DLine good, and I gave him a variety of information.

Not much else to say about that, huh "awfullyquiet"?

P-L 09-19-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe (Post 624635)

Well Atlanta and Denver didn't make many plays on those teams. Atlanta didn't record a sack and only 1 turnover against Minnesota. Denver recorded 3 sacks and forced three turnovers against Oakland. The Lions recorded 3 sacks against Oakland and forced three turnovers. Lions forced more fumbles (5) than Denver did against Oakland (1). Against the Vikings? They recorded 5 turnovers and 2 sacks. If making plays on those offenses were easy you'd think the Falcons and Broncos could've out performed the Lions. Detroit has forced 10 turnovers, the most of any team in the league. The Vikings have forced 9 turnovers. But making plays against the Falcons and Lions isn't that tough, so why don't we just completely discredit them while we are at it?

TacticaLion 09-19-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions (Post 624790)
Well Atlanta and Denver didn't make many plays on those teams. Atlanta didn't record a sack and only 1 turnover against Minnesota. Denver recorded 3 sacks and forced three turnovers against Oakland. The Lions recorded 3 sacks against Oakland and forced three turnovers. Lions forced more fumbles (5) than Denver did against Oakland (1). Against the Vikings? They recorded 5 turnovers and 2 sacks. If making plays on those offenses were easy you'd think the Falcons and Broncos could've out performed the Lions. Detroit has forced 10 turnovers, the most of any team in the league. The Vikings have forced 9 turnovers. But making plays against the Falcons and Lions isn't that tough, so why don't we just completely discredit them while we are at it?

I should've just waited and let you respond.

GB12 09-19-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 611060)
AFC East and North are both pretty good.

Not really. The Ravens are great, Steelers are pretty good, and the Bengals and Browns are god awful.

neko4 09-19-2007 09:38 PM

So what is the arguement here, that lions dont have the worst D in the division, or that the NFC North has the best defensive division.

BrownsTown 09-19-2007 09:46 PM

AFC East, and AFC West (When did that happen?) both have better defenses. Maybe NFC East too. The Bears are really the only defense that scares me. The Vikings are one dimensional, and the Packers are still young.

bearsfan_51 09-19-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownsTown (Post 624830)
AFC East, and AFC West (When did that happen?) both have better defenses. Maybe NFC East too. The Bears are really the only defense that scares me. The Vikings are one dimensional, and the Packers are still young.

The NFC East? Is that a ******* joke?

ny10804 09-19-2007 10:00 PM

Detroit clearly has the worst defense. Sure, 19 PPG allowed is OK, but it's come against two putrid offenses. Minny was 23rd/26th last year in YPG/PPG, and Oakland was dead last in both categories.

Green Bay's allowed 13 points each to the Iggles (2nd/6th) and the Brandon Jacob-less Giants (14th/11th).

Minny gave up 3 points to the Joey Harrington-led Falcons (25th/12th) and 20 to the Lions (22nd/21st).

Chicago gave up 14 points to SD (4th/1st) and 10 to KC (15th/16th).

I think the D-ranks are as follows:

1. Chicago (by a decent margin)
2. Green Bay (by a decent margin)
3. Minny (by a large margin)
4. Detroit

neko4 09-19-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownsTown (Post 624830)

seriously, is that a joke?

BrownsTown 09-19-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neko4 (Post 624859)
seriously, is that a joke?

Well everyone talks about how good Oakland is...San Diego has the best NT and best OLB in football...Denver has the best set of corners in the NFL...and KC continues to improve.

BuckNaked 09-19-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownsTown (Post 624873)
Well everyone talks about how good Oakland is...San Diego has the best NT and best OLB in football...Denver has the best set of corners in the NFL...and KC continues to improve.

Talking about the NFC East buddy.

neko4 09-19-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownsTown (Post 624873)

i was talking about the nfc east like bf51, you could make a good arguement for the west

BrownsTown 09-19-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neko4 (Post 624876)
i was talking about the nfc east like bf51, you could make a good arguement for the west

Oh, the NFC East? Well obviously they don't have a team as good as the Bears which is why I'd put them ahead right now, but Dallas has a good D, Phili does when it's healthy...I don't know if the Giants will be that bad for the entire year, I think they'll improve. But right now NFC North is certainly better.