Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who will the media talk about now? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389)

bearsfan_51 02-05-2007 05:11 PM

Who will the media talk about now?

Now that the Peyton Manning train has reached the station, what high profile QB will the media harass for not winning a Superbowl now?

a-dub83 02-05-2007 05:12 PM

most likely McNabb

Jay 02-05-2007 05:13 PM

I voted McNair but meant to vote McNabb. Or Vick.

SFbear 02-05-2007 05:13 PM

They will harass Eli and Vick until they live up to theyre draft position.

bigbluedefense 02-05-2007 05:13 PM

McNabb. He's in a big market that will create media buzz, and he's in a current "qb controversy", and he hasn't won the big game his entire career either.

Eli will also get alot of heat, especially now that Peyton won a ring, Eli won't shut up his critics until he wins one himself.

bearsfan_51 02-05-2007 05:16 PM

Ok who voted for Tony Romo?? :lol:

MaxV 02-05-2007 05:18 PM

Well I live in NY, and all I ever read in newspapapers is how Eli needs to do this, and how he needs to do that.

Being a QB for a NY always puts one in the spotlight.

I'm not saying that these other QBs don't have pressure on them, or that the media won't talk about them, but nowhere is it as bad as in NY.

jetsfan3 02-05-2007 05:23 PM

I agree with whoever said Eli and Vick. They have to prove themselves worthy of #1 overall.

NIN1984 02-05-2007 05:25 PM

Not just Phillip Rivers but the Chargers as a whole

princefielder28 02-05-2007 05:25 PM

Carson Palmer because he is probably the 3rd best quarterback in the league, behind Manning and Brady, he was drafted number one, and he is playing at the level where a Super Bowl may put him in Canton if he continues his exceptional play.

Philliez01 02-05-2007 05:27 PM

I think Grossman will be pressued by purely the media and maybe the fans of the Bears (not sure how they feel) and I expect that he'll be highly publicized after the Super Bowl though I wouldn't completely blame him.

Eli should get a great deal of pressure regarding that his brother won a SB, that alone should gain him some pressure. McNabb because of Garcia's performance at the end of this season and Vick will also get their fair share of pressure.

Geo 02-05-2007 05:34 PM

I wonder if the NY media will actually pick up on the fact that Eli's older brother, who as Eli has to constantly hear is the far better of the two and is one of the all-time greats even, didn't even reach the Super Bowl until after he turned 30 years old.

Probably not, I'm guessing. That manner of football intelligence doesn't sell papers, does it?

By the way, I think Eli's career will turn for the better in 08 once, after 4 years with Tom Coughlin as his head coach, he gets his second/superior head coach just as Manning's career benefited from the Colts hiring Tony Dungy in 2002, after Jim Mora Sr. (similar to Coughlin in many ways) was Manning's head coach for an exact 4 years as well in 1998-2001. An interesting note there.

MNRunLeft 02-05-2007 05:35 PM

I think it will be McNabb partly due to what Jeff Garcia was able to do with that team after McNabb when down. McNabb has made it to a SB and came up short some saying he choked and couldn't handle the pressure. The Eagles have consistantly been a good team in a poor NFC.

Im_a_Romosexual 02-05-2007 05:36 PM

Vick they'll rag on him for putting up bad passing stats

bearsfan_51 02-05-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo
I wonder if the NY media will actually pick up on the fact that Eli's older brother, who as Eli has to constantly hear is the far better of the two and is one of the all-time greats even, didn't even reach the Super Bowl until after he turned 30 years old.

Probably not, I'm guessing. That manner of football intelligence doesn't sell papers, does it?

By the way, I think Eli's career will turn for the better in 08 once, after 4 years with Tom Coughlin as his head coach, he gets his second/superior head coach just as Manning's career benefited from the Colts hiring Tony Dungy in 2002, after Jim Mora Sr. (similar to Coughlin in many ways) was Manning's head coach for an exact 4 years as well in 1998-2001. An interesting note there.

JIM MORA SENIOR IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME AND YOU WILL NOT DENEGRATE HIS HOLY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PalmerToCJ 02-05-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28
Carson Palmer because he is probably the 3rd best quarterback in the league, behind Manning and Brady, he was drafted number one, and he is playing at the level where a Super Bowl may put him in Canton if he continues his exceptional play.

Yeah I was thinking that right after the SB ended but I think McNabb may be the guy they go to.

If we make the playoffs next year and don't win it all then they might start rumblings about Carson like they did Peyton/Elway but as of right now you'd have to think McNabb gets annoyed by it since he's won so many playoff games but is yet to win the big one.

Only problem with McNabb being his health. Vick/Eli won't get that put on them... Just the talk about their struggles and what not. No one has big SB expectations from them. Carson has the numbers but no ring so that's what they're looking for.

Plus he's a golden boy... #1 pick, heisman winner and is the prototypical QB on a team that the media likes to talk about. Plus I think next season we're going to be one of the trendy SB picks so he'll have the high expectations placed on him.

Shiver 02-05-2007 05:40 PM

Donovan McNabb deserved more criticism than Manning has. But post-Limbaugh firing, everyone is afraid to trash McNabb. But in the "big games," he was pretty dreadful in those NFCCG and Super Bowl. Then, after that, Eli Manning and Michael Vick. Both of whom, haven't lived up to their talent.

Geo 02-05-2007 05:43 PM

Carson Palmer has a few more years before having to face that sort of burden.

He's either the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the league already, depending on how you rank Drew Brees, and looks to be an annual write-in to the Pro Bowl despite still being a young guy. And people understand that he's playing in the same conference as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (who'd probably be considered 1A and 1B).

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 02-05-2007 05:46 PM

Jay Cutler

Just kidding, he'll win the big one next year :wink:

I'd say really any one of McNabb, Manning or Vick. Or maybe they'll get on Peyton for having 2 less than Brady.

Geo 02-05-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo

JIM MORA SENIOR IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL COACH IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME AND YOU WILL NOT DENEGRATE HIS HOLY NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing someone to Coughlin has become insulting. Ouch.

PalmerToCJ 02-05-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo
Carson Palmer has a few more years before having to face that sort of burden.

He's either the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the league already, depending on how you rank Drew Brees, and looks to be an annual write-in to the Pro Bowl despite still being a young guy.

Yeah, the thing that saves Carson is the one playoff game he was in he got hurt then this year... Manning was in the playoffs quite a few times before they got real intense about it and he got close. Hopefully he can get in and win it next year to shut them up early 8)

Maybe they'll leave the QB's alone about the SB for a couple years?

toonsterwu 02-05-2007 05:52 PM

Out of that list, it's McNabb.

Geo 02-05-2007 05:53 PM

If anyone is going to have the burden of the media harping down his neck to win a Super Bowl next year, it's Marty Schottenheimer.

The Chargers are already the "favorite" to win the title in 07, and the fact that the 04 #1 seed Pittsburgh Steelers and the 05 #1 seed Indianapolis Colts failed those years but then won the SB in 05 and 06 respectively, only puts more pressure on the Chargers to do the same. And of course, there's the matter of Schottenheimer's 1 year remaining on his current contract.

bearsfan_51 02-05-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toonsterwu
Out of that list, it's McNabb.

Is there someone not on the list you would vote for? The site only allows so many options.

I'm mildly suprised nobody has mentioned Brees. He's took some very good teams to the playoffs and has one win to show for it.

throwback54milkman 02-05-2007 06:00 PM

Ladanian Tomlinson has never won a playoff game.