Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Student gets detention for hugging? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14694)

Splat 11-09-2007 11:30 AM

Student gets detention for hugging?
 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_detention_for_hugging

MASCOUTAH, Ill. - Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

WTF?

scottyboy 11-09-2007 11:32 AM

jesus. i saw the other day some school banning tag and touch football because a child may fall and injure themselves. What's this world coming to? poor kids

Smokey Joe 11-09-2007 11:33 AM

its *** parents who never want to let go. Those are the parents that get rules like these put into schools.

However, I really don't give a **** until it effects me.

Splat 11-09-2007 11:38 AM

Megan's mother, said the embraces weren't even real hugs just an arm around the shoulder and slight squeeze.

"It's hilarious to the point of ridicule," Coulter said. "I'm still dumbfounded that she's having to do this."

BucSappy 11-09-2007 11:53 AM

End to dodgeball.
End to flag football.
End to hugging.

What's left?

The Dynasty 11-09-2007 12:06 PM

When i was in High School, We played Pass Catch Football, where u catch it and stop and then pass its fun but not as fun as real football. We still hit though so its close. But we couldnt play Dodgeball but we could play Team Handball and If you were goalie ud get pealted by Volleyball Size Balls.

But my school has no real problem with hugging and sometimes u see kids kiss so its like whatever lol.

Thats pretty strict.

JJJ888 11-09-2007 12:09 PM

Yeah...that's ridiculous. I mean who hugs at school?

Hines 11-09-2007 12:18 PM

i feel the same way, i got two detentions for rubbing a girls shoulders and putting ear muffs on a girl cuz she didnt want to hear what iw as talking about

vatech=accdomination 11-09-2007 12:22 PM

this isnt really out of the norm for middle school anymore. thats where they put the most ridicoulous disciplinarians.

Smokey Joe 11-09-2007 12:47 PM

I'm glad I go to a private school!

ironman4579 11-09-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe (Post 717504)
I'm glad I go to a private school!

Do you have to wear a uniform? I'm not sure how the plaid skirt and knee highs would look on you...............

diabsoule 11-09-2007 01:03 PM

This is getting out of hand. What's up with parents and schools these days? Walton and Johnson call it the pussification of America and it's in full effect.

bsaza2358 11-09-2007 02:22 PM

The pussification began about 35 years ago when the parents of these kids were being raised as wusses. You have weak parents raising weaker kids.

Bills2083 11-09-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucSappy (Post 717443)
End to dodgeball.
End to flag football.
End to hugging.

What's left?

It's terrible. Our school gets around the dodgeball one though.
They call it something like 'maneuverable ________ball.'
That way, if a kid gets hurt, the school can't get in trouble for playing dodgeball. lol

Moses 11-09-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358 (Post 717624)
The pussification began about 35 years ago when the parents of these kids were being raised as wusses. You have weak parents raising weaker kids.

Bingo.

Natural selection needs to play its course. Stop overprotecting youth.

ironman4579 11-09-2007 03:37 PM

Shockingly, when I was a kid, I didn't wear a helmet when riding my bike, and yet I didn't fall off, crack my head open and die. I also wasn't kept in a car seat until I was 17, and yet I was somehow not projected through the windshield at any time. Hard to believe, I know.

Moses 11-09-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman4579 (Post 717724)
Shockingly, when I was a kid, I didn't wear a helmet when riding my bike, and yet I didn't fall off, crack my head open and die. I also wasn't kept in a car seat until I was 17, and yet I was somehow not projected through the windshield at any time. Hard to believe, I know.

Were you allowed to throw snowballs at school? I know I wasn't. :(

ironman4579 11-09-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 717730)
Were you allowed to throw snowballs at school? I know I wasn't. :(

No, but at least we could play football. The thing that always gets me is, these schools ban tag, football, anything that involves running at all, but they all have those damn play structures for kids to climb all over. I'm sorry, but I've seen a hell of alot more kids crack their heads open and break their arms falling off of those things than playing tag or football.

I also think it's funny that they ban all this physical activity, then wonder why kids are so fat nowadays.

Moses 11-09-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman4579 (Post 717740)
No, but at least we could play football. The thing that always gets me is, these schools ban tag, football, anything that involves running at all, but they all have those damn play structures for kids to climb all over. I'm sorry, but I've seen a hell of alot more kids crack their heads open and break their arms falling off of those things than playing tag or football.

I also think it's funny that they ban all this physical activity, then wonder why kids are so fat nowadays.

So true. What do they expect kids to do? Stand in a circle and talk for an hour? That's what high school is for.

BrownsTown 11-09-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 717730)
Were you allowed to throw snowballs at school? I know I wasn't. :(

I hated that. My school wouldn't even let people touch the snow. Seriously, how badly can a kid get hurt from a snowball?

Sniper 11-09-2007 03:45 PM

Haha I remember recess when it was ******* -30 out with a shatload of ice and we're playing football....Sweet times.

Stop the pussification of children!

Moses 11-09-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownsTown (Post 717745)
I hated that. My school wouldn't even let people touch the snow. Seriously, how badly can a kid get hurt from a snowball?

I remember our school banned building snowforts because people would get into fights about them. Winter was bad enough living in Canada. If you can't play in the snow, what do you do other than freeze your cajones off?

ironman4579 11-09-2007 03:49 PM

I remember living in Saskatchewan, and we'd be outside in like -40 windchill type weather, trying to lay down behind snowforts to cut the wind, or think up excuses to go inside. But then you'd have to stay inside for recess in spring if it was raining outside. Yea, that made sense.

Moses 11-09-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman4579 (Post 717759)
I remember living in Saskatchewan, and we'd be outside in like -40 windchill type weather, trying to lay down behind snowforts to cut the wind, or think up excuses to go inside. But then you'd have to stay inside for recess in spring if it was raining outside. Yea, that made sense.

Haha typical Canadian thinking. Nothing beats those days where your eyes get frozen shut from your tears freezing as soon as they form.

ironman4579 11-09-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 717766)
Haha typical Canadian thinking. Nothing beats those days where your eyes get frozen shut from your tears freezing as soon as they form.

I hated those days. Your snot freezes in your nose and your eyelashes stick together. I remember when I moved to North Carolina and then came back for Christmas. I had no jacket but a light spring type thing. I came out of the airport and I swear my breath froze in my lungs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.