Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Any Football/Rugby players out there? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15514)

CalBears99 12-04-2007 07:31 PM

Any Football/Rugby players out there?
 
Any of you guys play or played Football or Rugby? I play rugby and I really want to improve my tackling. I always get owned when other guys use their juke moves on me. I can only tackle them if I square up on them. What do you guys do when people try to juke on you?

KCJ58 12-04-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBears99 (Post 765582)
Any of you guys play or played Football or Rugby? I play rugby and I really want to improve my tackling. I always get owned when other guys use their juke moves on me. I can only tackle them if I square up on them. What do you guys do when people try to juke on you?

do you play for a college team or a high school team, or adult league

TimD 12-04-2007 07:34 PM

I played football when I was younger but now I play just hockey and im starting to play rugby. My entire family played rugby so i remember being there at the fields watching my dad every weekend.

Since i usually play wing cause im small and quick im what you call an "ankle-biter". I just focus on keeping my hips square and wrapping up their knees...

Chucky 12-04-2007 07:34 PM

I personally play rugby, and pretty much the most important thing for me when I am hitting, is to make sure I use my body and not just arm tackle him, as well as wrapping my arms tight.

7-11 12-04-2007 07:47 PM

I play rugby and as a loose forward my primary job is to be tackling the entire game (not much of a ball runner these days). Anyway tackling technique all comes down to conditions and context - i used to play fullback so i'd be making alot of one on one, open field tackles. For these my thinking was to always cut down the thinking time of the guy with the ball, if you rush their thinking most guys just aren't going to be good enough ball runners to step (or duke or whatever) you. Then it comes down to size and your natural ability to stick tackles. I'm guessing you're not a natural tackler (not a concern, most guys i've played with my whole life are completely useless with their natural form in making a tackle) so what i'd recommend is to concentrate on their hips (alot of people get carried away with what they're doing with their feet, hands, head etc.), drive in with the shoulder (try to get your head to the side, i've been knocked out multiple times from being tired and misjudging a tackle), and wrap your arms around him. Arm tackles are the most frustrating thing to see as a team mate so try to avoid it.

Don't think any of that made sense but anyway. tackling has always come pretty naturally so it's hard for me to explain technique.

ATLDirtyBirds 12-04-2007 07:50 PM

When you are head up, watch their hips. When they plant on their foot (let's say they plant it to the right of you) move a little to your left. More than likely they are bringing it back the way. Since they have most of their weight on the planted foot, it will take them time to get restarted and you can get them.

Hips don't lie though. And if they are moving their hips and feet an insane amount, just fire right at them.

7-11 12-04-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds (Post 765653)
Hips don't lie

That's prety much the perfect piece of tackling advice, who would've thought Shakira was into that kinda thing

JagHombre22 12-04-2007 08:05 PM

I played high school football a couple of years ago...I was a WR...but when I went to the police academy and even the police department I work for...they taught us how to tackle....

you have to go low...to tackle people straight up you must have either good leverage or even better upper body strength...or both...

the other day, another officer was chasing a crack head and requested back up...I joined the chase but I cut the guy off ahead of him...long story short...I tackled the guy low, around the legs (upper thighs)...had I tried to go head up with him he would've probably run me over...

CalBears99 12-04-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimDris (Post 765590)
Since i usually play wing cause im small and quick im what you call an "ankle-biter". I just focus on keeping my hips square and wrapping up their knees...

Yeah, I'm a wing too for my high school team. If the guy with the ball is stupid I can sometimes just push him out of bounds.

Thanks a lot guys.

'cuse-213 12-04-2007 08:13 PM

Surprised a few of you play rugby. Its NOWHERE around my location.

OSUGiants17 12-04-2007 08:13 PM

I stop, breadown, take one step back and wait for them to make their final move. If they take to long I just go after them.

TimD 12-04-2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBears99 (Post 765713)
Yeah, I'm a wing too for my high school team. If the guy with the ball is stupid I can sometimes just push him out of bounds.

Thanks a lot guys.

My high school doesn't have rugby, so I usually play on like college age teams with experienced kids so the out of bounds stuff usually doesn't happen with me. But lots of times if a kid sees he won't be able to get around me they'll just punt it which is always nice.

7-11 12-04-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimDris (Post 765726)
My high school doesn't have rugby, so I usually play on like college age teams with experienced kids so the out of bounds stuff usually doesn't happen with me.

I'm not sure if i completely believe this, when we had our tour of Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland and France the general tactical play of the Canadians was nearly laughable. We were told after the game that the 5/8th and the halfback (the two main playmakers and tacticians for those who don't know) played in the national under 19's squad, and for the life of me i couldn't pick them as even decent players.

CalBears99 12-04-2007 08:25 PM

My high school's team is touring Argentina this spring. Just throwin' it out there.

7-11 12-04-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBears99 (Post 765750)
My high school's team is touring Argentina this spring. Just throwin' it out there.

Are you going? That'll be absolutely awesome. I've been on a few New Zealand tours and one world tour for rugby, best times of my life

CalBears99 12-04-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7-11 (Post 765764)
Are you going? That'll be absolutely awesome. I've been on a few New Zealand tours and one world tour for rugby, best times of my life

Dude no way I'm going haha. My school's got about 70 kids on the rugby team. Only like 24 are going and it'll be mostly seniors (I'm a junior). Plus I'm not big enough for varsity yet. Hopefully my senior year I'll be on varsity. The varsity team is #13 in the U.S.

bored of education 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

I just own everyone. I awesome open field tackling. I'd key on their mid area square up and keep my head up. if they juked one way or the other you put your head acorss wrap up and take them home

Bills2083 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

I was planning on playing rugby, but I missed the signups...

I play football though. The best thing you can do is go low. This kid on my team is the strongest kid I've ever seen. Another kid is extremely skinny. He brought him down with ease by just going low.

Moses 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7-11 (Post 765744)
I'm not sure if i completely believe this, when we had our tour of Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland and France the general tactical play of the Canadians was nearly laughable. We were told after the game that the 5/8th and the halfback (the two main playmakers and tacticians for those who don't know) played in the national under 19's squad, and for the life of me i couldn't pick them as even decent players.

Rugby isn't our sport. :D

You won't find it in many high schools and the university teams aren't anything special either. Sort of a fringe sport like Lacrosse.

Bills2083 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalBears99 (Post 765771)
Dude no way I'm going haha. My school's got about 70 kids on the rugby team. Only like 24 are going and it'll be mostly seniors (I'm a junior). Plus I'm not big enough for varsity yet. Hopefully my senior year I'll be on varsity. The varsity team is #13 in the U.S.


what HS do you go to?

Chucky 12-04-2007 08:38 PM

Rugby>Football

Just throwing it out there

bored of education 12-04-2007 08:40 PM

Rugby Owns !!!

Bills2083 12-04-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 765783)
Rugby>Football

Just throwing it out there

to watch/play, or both?

Chucky 12-04-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bills2083 (Post 765795)
to watch/play, or both?

I actually dont watch much rugby, but definatly to play.


Also what positions are you guys.


I am a severly undersized prop

'cuse-213 12-04-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 765783)
Rugby>Football

Just throwing it out there

Playing for over 20 years>Playing for 5

Not the arguement I should be in, I know nothing about rugby. I figure with no pads, injuries are more common?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.