Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   WR Porter ready for new start in Oakland (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658)

Sveen 02-21-2007 06:00 PM

WR Porter ready for new start in Oakland

Quote:

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Feb. 21, 2007) -- Jerry Porter is ready for a new start with the Oakland Raiders.

After a difficult 2006 season when he clashed with coach Art Shell and rarely got on the field, Porter announced he is changing his uniform number from 84 to 81 in order to put last season behind him and get off on the right foot with new coach Lane Kiffin.

"For me the new number represents a new start, a new beginning and new attitude," he said in a statement released by the team. "I've had multiple meetings with Coach Kiffin and I am very excited about the direction of our team and especially our offense. I can't wait to get started."

Porter had a run-in with Shell over offseason workout plans soon after the coach was hired last February. The receiver also made public a trade demand at the start of training camp. Porter was inactive the first four games of the season and then suspended for insubordination.
Source: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10012586

ks_perfection 02-21-2007 06:07 PM

This news isn't nearly as intersting as the rumor that Moss told Kiffin to F--- off.

BigDawg819 02-21-2007 06:15 PM

Porter ready for a new start in Oakland....................

Did he get traded to the A's and I not here about?

bigbluedefense 02-21-2007 06:18 PM

They could have Jerry Rice in his prime and Joe Montana throwing him the ball for all I care. It doesn't mean jack if they don't fix that oline.

AZ9er 02-21-2007 06:23 PM

Lane was on the HERD today. I was actually impressed, no hesitation in his answers. Kept saying his life is all about football football football.

I liked him so far too the point I feel bad he is with oakland.

princefielder28 02-21-2007 06:37 PM

Well thats good that everyone wants to get a new start, but how will he act when they begin to lose again???

KCJ58 02-21-2007 06:44 PM

YAY!

I can now wear my porter jersey

regoob2 02-21-2007 10:23 PM

I think he will act up again no matter what

TCU 02-21-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJ58
YAY!

I can now wear my porter jersey

that had to be rough there for a while

RaiderNation 02-21-2007 10:26 PM

rather have him then moss

TheChampIsHere 02-21-2007 10:36 PM

Well the thing with Jerry Porter that is well documented is he likes players coaches (Norv Turner, Kiffin) and he clashes badly with disciplinarians (Shell, Gruden who he never liked). So of course hes on board. And it is what it is. i think the fact is if hes on board he can be a bigtime contributor and we cant get much for him in a trade so we might as well keep him.

49ersfan_87 02-21-2007 10:49 PM

Doesnt tim brown wear #81? I thought it was retired.

Im_a_Romosexual 02-21-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28
Well thats good that everyone wants to get a new start, but how will he act when they begin to lose again???

you took the words outta my mouth

doingthisinsteadofwork 02-21-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual
Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28

you took the words outta my mouth

actually he hated SHell and thats why he got into trouble.because Shell doesnt know how to deal with players.

NIN1984 02-22-2007 12:09 PM

not crazy about him wearing #81

TheChampIsHere 02-22-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIN1984
not crazy about him wearing #81

yea I hope he cleared it with Tim Brown

THIZZorDIE 02-22-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erfaithful

I would hesitate to say that. Porter is no scumbag, he just slammed heads w/ Shell meanwhile they are the laughing stock of the league. I would be mad if I was a WR and my coach hired a Denny's manager to call my plays. I would think I was headed for a down year. Point being he isnt a perennial bad character guy, it was a certain bad situation.

swagger 02-22-2007 04:26 PM

Good, now they can deal Moss.

toonsterwu 02-22-2007 04:40 PM

Certainly opens up options for them, although I still wouldn't rule out adding a WR early (or in FA).

TheChampIsHere 02-22-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THIZZorDIE
Quote:

Originally Posted by 49erfaithful

I would hesitate to say that. Porter is no scumbag, he just slammed heads w/ Shell meanwhile they are the laughing stock of the league. I would be mad if I was a WR and my coach hired a Denny's manager to call my plays. I would think I was headed for a down year. Point being he isnt a perennial bad character guy, it was a certain bad situation.

I agree and disagree. No he isnt a terrible guy and I know he is capable of getting in line, but he is a guy who has had some controversy before. He clashed with Gruden and was talkin about how happy he was when Gruden was gone. Very simply, he doesnt like tough, disciplinarian coaches. He liked Norv Turner, the nice guy, a lot.

So anyways, I think Porter could do well in this regime. The problem last year, Im not blaming it on Shell or on Porter, it was both of them. They clashed badly. Shell needed to deal with it better, but you cant disrespect your coach like that.

portermvp84 02-22-2007 05:52 PM

Finally Porter got his head out of his narrow ass. I'm tired of him always bitching.