Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Official Tennis Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16924)

Turtlepower 01-11-2008 10:12 AM

The Official Tennis Thread

I couldn't find a previous thread just on Tennis, so here one is.

Am I the only one who thinks that Roger Federer is doing exactly what Michael Jordan did for basketball. He is bringing it back to glory after it just wasn't that entertaining for a few years. I am really excited for this Australian Open. I think that Moya has a good chance to upset Nadal, but I really don't think that anyone is going to challenge Federer. Maybe Hewitt will put up a fight. =D

UKfan 01-11-2008 10:15 AM

Andy Murray ftw!

In all seriousness it's Federer's tournament to lose, but I think Murray can cause a few shocks, maybe get to the semis.

Turtlepower 01-11-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKfan (Post 833896)
Andy Murray ftw!

In all seriousness it's Federer's tournament to lose, but I think Murray can cause a few shocks, maybe get to the semis.

Did you fantasize about Tim Henman as a kid? =D

awfullyquiet 01-11-2008 11:03 AM

wow. people actually think of tennis?
professional tennis is one of the weirdest sport phenomenas.

I used to play tennis at a rather competitive level (i.e. college), but there's no use in a five foot two little short asian girl who just knows how to hit the ball hard and with a lot of spin (obviously without great control, nor could i ever serve.).

the funny thing with tennis is... the best players usually win. brackets are set up to have epic finals matchups. the best player have a field of weenies set up for them. it doesn't matter though, because upsets aren't THAT common.

federer is great. i'm glad him and sampras played again last year. it was a treat.

UKfan 01-11-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlepower (Post 833903)
Did you fantasize about Tim Henman as a kid? =D

Ugh, I actually really disliked Tim Henman, just something about him irritated me, I think it was the fact he had quite possibly the crappest nickname (Tiger Tim) and fist pump in history.

Look at that, pathetic.

Turtlepower 01-11-2008 01:37 PM

I still can't believe how much he was loved in England. At least Andy Murray seems like a guy with some personality. =D

bored of education 01-11-2008 01:44 PM

Roger Federer is kinda good at tennisball

Caddy 01-11-2008 03:39 PM

Hewitt hasn't played good tennis for years so I severely doubt he even makes it to the quarter-finals.

Turtlepower 01-11-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 (Post 834317)
Hewitt hasn't played good tennis for years so I severely doubt he even makes it to the quarter-finals.

You never know. Those Aussies know how to play when their backs are against the wall. =D

bearsfan_51 01-11-2008 04:41 PM

I used to touch myself to pictures of Monica Seles.

UKfan 01-11-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 834484)
I used to touch myself to pictures of Monica Seles.

I assume the grunting and screaming was part of the appeal... mmm, grunting.

Caddy 01-11-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlepower (Post 834391)
You never know. Those Aussies know how to play when their backs are against the wall. =D

Lleyton hasn't played well in years and if he somehow makes the top 4 of the Australian Open it will be like a belated Christmas miracle.

soybean 01-11-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfullyquiet (Post 833917)
wow. people actually think of tennis?
professional tennis is one of the weirdest sport phenomenas.

I used to play tennis at a rather competitive level (i.e. college), but there's no use in a five foot two little short asian girl who just knows how to hit the ball hard and with a lot of spin (obviously without great control, nor could i ever serve.).

the funny thing with tennis is... the best players usually win. brackets are set up to have epic finals matchups. the best player have a field of weenies set up for them. it doesn't matter though, because upsets aren't THAT common.

federer is great. i'm glad him and sampras played again last year. it was a treat.

that's true, that's why it's always a big deal if roger federer loses.

i think tennis arguably, takes the most skill out of any sport.

bearsfan_51 01-11-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 834522)

Ever tried to play hockey?

Turtlepower 01-18-2008 09:22 AM

Andy Roddick never deserves his top-seedings. Probably the most overhyped American Player ever, and there are many.

bearfan 01-18-2008 09:28 AM

I have to agree, whenever I see him the only thing that puts him above anyone is his serve. Everything else is kinda average for a pro.

Turtlepower 01-18-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearfan (Post 848982)
I have to agree, whenever I see him the only thing that puts him above anyone is his serve. Everything else is kinda average for a pro.

I will admit that he has a smoking forehand, but that backhand is at the same level of a 10 year-old. Roddick will probably never be able to play past 30 because as soon as his serve declines, he will lose his edge.

Cashmoney 01-18-2008 11:27 AM

I never watch tennis, but my girlfriend whoops my ass everytime we play. I cant serve for crap, but I can play some good D.

UKfan 01-18-2008 01:57 PM

Andy Roddick > Andy Murray, that is all.

Turtlepower 01-18-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKfan (Post 849312)
Andy Roddick > Andy Murray, that is all.

Remember when America and England had some of the best male tennis players... Those were the days. Damn Swiss and Spanish. =(

UKfan 01-18-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlepower (Post 849386)
Remember when America and England had some of the best male tennis players... Those were the days. Damn Swiss and Spanish. =(

England had good tennis players? We're talking back in the day of Fred Perry right? Since Henman was in no way one of the best, and Murray, as well as not being close to the best, is also Scottish.

As is said over here in England, Murray wins, he's British, Murray loses, he's Scottish haha.

Turtlepower 01-18-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKfan (Post 849406)
England had good tennis players? We're talking back in the day of Fred Perry right? Since Henman was in no way one of the best, and Murray, as well as not being close to the best, is also Scottish.

As is said over here in England, Murray wins, he's British, Murray loses, he's Scottish haha.

You gotta love that witty, British humor. =D

adschofield 01-20-2008 12:21 AM

Richard Gasquet owns all

downthealley 01-20-2008 12:45 AM

Well, the Australian has been quite exciting what with Federer looking human and a surprisingly large number of upsets. I expected Roddick to lose early, though.

awfullyquiet 01-21-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 834522)

1) No kidding.
2) We're not getting into that in this thread. I made a case that you can't really have 'measurements' in tennis that relate to how good you are. Not everyone who has fantastic racket speed is good, or bad. It's an extremely mental game. Chess with physical talent. Dial up the pressure, the gambits, the moves. It's really cool when you really start analyzing what people do in certain situations.