Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22425)

LarryJohnson27 05-08-2008 05:18 AM

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia
 
How good of a prospect is this guy? Is he just a canidate for the top QB spot in next years draft just because the senior class is so weak at the position, or is he legit? I know he was considered the best player in the country comming out of high school by some.

Yatta! 05-08-2008 06:22 AM

Atm I would say that a lot of the hype is due to a very poor senior class but he has all the tools you look for. If he performs as expected this year he'll be the top QB, he'll get drafted in the top 3 imo.

Thunder&Lightning 05-08-2008 07:32 AM

Has all the physical tools you look for in a QB... The question is can he perform to his full potential... The sky is the limit for this kid in my opinion.

toonsterwu 05-08-2008 07:45 AM

If Stafford comes out, he has a chance at being at the top of the QB board. Certainly, as of now, this is based partially on the combination of potential, position, and a weak class, because despite all the accolades, the kid is still raw. That said, if he takes big leaps forward this year in terms of consistency, then we might be talking a year later about a very deserving top of the draft QB talent.

I will say this - at this point in time, I think Stafford is a better QB talent than Tim Tebow. To what degree, well, that's hard for me to say, but I think it's by a recognizable amount in my head right now (put it this way, on a random scale of 100(this is just to demonstrate the difference in my mind), I would put Stafford at, say, an 80, and Tebow at say, a 70 in terms of Qb'ing ability). Now, Tebow is an awesome physical talent, something that will definitely intrigue, and if he takes strides forward, as past QB's in Urban's system have with additional time, then he could very well end up ahead.

regoob2 05-08-2008 07:57 AM

Stafford has bad fundimentals. He throws with all arm and off his back foot a lot. If he corrects that he could be scary. Bad mechanics like that will lead to a lot of arrent throws.

P-L 05-08-2008 08:25 AM

Stafford has all the tools to be a great one, he just needs to put it all together for one full season. If he can't do it this year, I could see a Carson Palmer-like season his senior year.

Byrd430 05-08-2008 08:40 AM

Is this such a weak QB class because there's not much early 1st round talent? Because I can see 7 quarterbacks going in the first three rounds...

Yatta! 05-08-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrd430 (Post 1060416)
Is this such a weak QB class because there's not much early 1st round talent? Because I can see 7 quarterbacks going in the first three rounds...

Interesting point, I can't see a first round senior QB atm but I think Painter/Harper/Cantwell could sneak in if they have good seasons. Which seven are you thinking of?

Shane P. Hallam 05-08-2008 10:28 AM

I think Painter could definitely go in the first and possibly be the first QB off the board. So much changes from now until April. I'm not so sure if Stafford will be on top.

Babylon 05-08-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 1060402)
Stafford has bad fundimentals. He throws with all arm and off his back foot a lot. If he corrects that he could be scary. Bad mechanics like that will lead to a lot of arrent throws.

I would say the best natural ability at that position since Peyton Manning. He hasnt exactly had the best receiving corp down there and i think he has a little too much confidence in that arm at times but i think Mel Kiper was right when he said the kid will be the top player in the draft when he comes out. Especially to a team that needs a QB.

Iamcanadian 05-08-2008 11:01 AM

He has a legit shot at going #1 overall in next year's draft but he will have to have an excellent senior season to do it, it's not a given. He simply hasn't been an accurrate passer so far in his college career and he must improve that or he'll slide. He has the most natural ability since Palmer but he's nowhere near as accurate so far. However, it isn't at all unusual for a senior QB to put it all together his last year in college and we'll just have to wait to see if he can do it.

draftguru151 05-08-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 1060494)
He has a legit shot at going #1 overall in next year's draft but he will have to have an excellent senior season to do it, it's not a given. He simply hasn't been an accurrate passer so far in his college career and he must improve that or he'll slide. He has the most natural ability since Palmer but he's nowhere near as accurate so far. However, it isn't at all unusual for a senior QB to put it all together his last year in college and we'll just have to wait to see if he can do it.

He's going to be a junior.

themaninblack 05-08-2008 11:26 AM

im rly hoping he ends up staying for his senior year but it seems unlikely IMO.

Race for the Heisman 05-08-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaninblack (Post 1060508)
im rly hoping he ends up staying for his senior year but it seems unlikely IMO.

I don't know, I know the class is perceived as weak but I can see both him and Tebow coming back for their senior seasons.

CashmoneyDrew 05-08-2008 11:46 AM

If Sam Bradford has a good season again and comes out, I could see him semi-challenging Matt Stafford.

SchizophrenicBatman 05-08-2008 11:52 AM

The thing that bothers me about Stafford is that he's been the beneficiary of having three NFL quality RBs on his team, and yet his play has still been mediocre at best. I could deal with it if he wasn't surrounded by the talent he has, or if he was doing decently with that talent (Bradford to a lesser degree) but he really isn't

But yea, as for physical ability...it's all there. He still has a ways to go when it comes to the rest of the game. Unless he takes a huge step forward, I really think he's screwed in the NFL if he doesn't stay for his senior year

draftguru151 05-08-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman (Post 1060531)
The thing that bothers me about Stafford is that he's been the beneficiary of having three NFL quality RBs on his team, and yet his play has still been mediocre at best. I could deal with it if he wasn't surrounded by the talent he has, or if he was doing decently with that talent (Bradford to a lesser degree) but he really isn't

But yea, as for physical ability...it's all there. He still has a ways to go when it comes to the rest of the game. Unless he takes a huge step forward, I really think he's screwed in the NFL if he doesn't stay for his senior year

And no NFL caliber receivers. RBs are nice but they're not the one's he needs to really succeed.

no love 05-08-2008 12:52 PM

Chad Henne plus two inches. And that is not a knock on him because I think Chad was a great prospect, but it seems these days that unless you are coming from a stupid spread offense your value is lower. I think everyone will talk about what a great prospect he is up until about two months before the draft when these spread qb's start getting all the love for the numbers they put up and then he will fall on draft day.

Example of spread guys who were rose:
Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Vince Young, Kevin Kolb

Pro Style QBs who fell:
Aaron Rogers, Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, Matt Leinart, JD Booty, Trent Edwards (i liste him because he got picked after Kolb and Beck).

Babylon 05-08-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman (Post 1060531)
The thing that bothers me about Stafford is that he's been the beneficiary of having three NFL quality RBs on his team, and yet his play has still been mediocre at best. I could deal with it if he wasn't surrounded by the talent he has, or if he was doing decently with that talent (Bradford to a lesser degree) but he really isn't

But yea, as for physical ability...it's all there. He still has a ways to go when it comes to the rest of the game. Unless he takes a huge step forward, I really think he's screwed in the NFL if he doesn't stay for his senior year


Mediocre play? 55.7% average per attempt, 13 yds per comp.,19 tds and 10 ints(that number needs to come down) with average receivers and going against some of the better secondaries in the country. Add to that the fact that they should have played USC in the Rose Bowl for a chance at a top 2 ranking in the country. I'd say way above average all things considered.

nobodyinparticular 05-08-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-L (Post 1060410)
Stafford has all the tools to be a great one, he just needs to put it all together for one full season. If he can't do it this year, I could see a Carson Palmer-like season his senior year.

It's funny you said that, because I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't know if many people remember, but a lot of people were even down on Palmer because he had only put together one good season as QB for USC.

d34ng3l021 05-08-2008 03:50 PM



Definitely one of my favorite prospects this year. He has some great physical ability and has the chance to put it all together this year with UGA. I see him breaking out this year with his WR corps getting better and moreno doing well as usual.

Even if he doesnt put up some great stats this year, I can see him rising before draft time because of his physical ability and great arm. He is going to be good, trust me on that.

BeerBaron 05-08-2008 03:56 PM

im going to sound really stupid when i say this but for a while now, ive had stafford mixed up with sean glennon....why? i have no idea.....

good to get that out of my head now, lol

princefielder28 05-08-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 1060821)
im going to sound really stupid when i say this but for a while now, ive had stafford mixed up with sean glennon....why? i have no idea.....

good to get that out of my head now, lol

yeah, good idea to get that straightened before you make yourself look stupid

BeerBaron 05-08-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 1060829)
yeah, good idea to get that straightened before you make yourself look stupid

lol, and people wonder why im so awful at predicting players as prospects. i stand by the fact that i was no fan of chad henne watching him last season though...

sodar21 05-08-2008 04:30 PM

Is he a better prospect than Chad Henne was heading into his junior season?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.