Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Where does clements rank? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2715)

49ersfan_87 03-03-2007 12:43 AM

Where does clements rank?
 
I live in toronto and saw him play this year. He seemed like a shutdown CB. He was on fire for the games i watched (watched about 12 games, didnt see some due to blackout). Id say based on last season he was top 5. But where would he rank based on his entire career's worth or work?

Edit- i know he isnt worth his contract. Im talking about on the field play, just to clarify.

jblaze66 03-03-2007 12:50 AM

Well he isn't the best CB in the league and thats how they are paying him.

dhoe20 03-03-2007 12:51 AM

Not ranked 8 years 80 million dollars, lol that's for sure. He's not ranked #1 all time, even though that's what his contract says. lol

Number 10 03-03-2007 12:53 AM

He is somewhere in the 4-7 range.

TheChampIsHere 03-03-2007 12:56 AM

Hes definetely a top 10 CB, maybe even a top 5 CB. No he isnt the top CB or the best defensive player, which is how he is getting paid but the fact is the paydays get bigger every year and with all the cap room teams have you had to know he was gonna get a major payday. I still think its a good signing for the 49ers because they filled a big need and got a great player, even if they did have to pay a lot for him.

eastside49er 03-03-2007 12:59 AM

Top 3 or 4 CB in the league. I would only put Champ and McClaister above at this time.

Shiver 03-03-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 (Post 182945)
He is somewhere in the 4-7 range.

That's about where I put him. He's a very solid cover corner, but he's getting overpaid a bit. I expected him to. I couldn't imagine if Asante Samuel had hit the market, in my opinion he was the better option. He has been the superior player the past two years, as well as the younger player.

holyschmidt 03-03-2007 01:43 AM

Bailey








McCalister
Clements
Hall
Samuels
Newman
Bly

zoinks 03-03-2007 01:46 AM

Clements is great, but that contract is beyond stupid.

Sure, they've got the room for it right now.... but it'll be interesting to see how the Clements contract affects them 3-4 years down the road, when it comes time to re-sign key players guys like Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, etc., and Clements is taking up one tenth of the team's entire salary cap.

holyschmidt 03-03-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoinks (Post 183028)
Clements is great, but that contract is beyond stupid.

Sure, they've got the room for it right now.... but it'll be interesting to see how the Clements contract affects them 3-4 years down the road, when it comes time to re-sign key players guys like Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, etc., and Clements is taking up one tenth of the team's entire salary cap.

Umm, hello! Smith/Davis/Lawson/Moore are already signed for another 5 years. Niners still have 25+ million in cap room. Getting an extension done with Gore will be no problem for them.

Learn how the cap works please!

jkb528 03-03-2007 01:57 AM

Clements is a good corner, very good, but I dont even consider him "great", and nowhere near the elite corners in the game, like Champ. I remember two years ago when Chris Chambers torched him for over 200 yards and 3 TDs in a single game. People give Fred Smoot grief for getting smoked by Steve Smith, and rightly so, but Clements got toasted even worse. The 49ers sure do like overpaying for players from Buffalo. Remember Jonas Jennings... How'd he work out???

yodabear 03-03-2007 02:09 AM

Not 8 year, 80 million dollar with 22 million guaranteed worthy.

Shiver 03-03-2007 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkb528 (Post 183040)
Clements is a good corner, very good, but I dont even consider him "great", and nowhere near the elite corners in the game, like Champ. I remember two years ago when Chris Chambers torched him for over 200 yards and 3 TDs in a single game. People give Fred Smoot grief for getting smoked by Steve Smith, and rightly so, but Clements got toasted even worse.

He had a really poor '05. I think it's because he became complacent, knowing he was going to be tagged by the team. Once he knew he was going to make a big deal, he stepped his game back up.

sodar21 03-03-2007 02:24 AM

Obviously besides Champ, Clements is one of the best CBs in the league. I'd put him behind Cmac and Newman.

holyschmidt 03-03-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodachu (Post 183050)
Not 8 year, 80 million dollar with 22 million guaranteed worthy.

Once again, since you people can't comprehend this, the contract is 6 years 45 million w/ 22 guaranteed. Clements will not see years 7 and 8.

Someone pin this

rocco31fb 03-03-2007 04:53 AM

Now that he's got the money, he won't even be top 10.

PoopSandwich 03-03-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastside49er (Post 182955)
Top 3 or 4 CB in the league. I would only put Champ and McClaister above at this time.

LEIGH BODDEN BABY

:)

Chad Johnson said he (Leigh Bodden) was best CB east of Denver, but thats Chad Johnson.

Clements is really good, I just think he has a really hard time with the deep ball, but he is a great pick up for the 49'rs anyways and I wish we could have locked him up, but not for that money.

Splat 03-03-2007 09:07 AM

He plays like a top 5 CB at times but most of the time top 10 IMO.

ks_perfection 03-03-2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyschmidt (Post 183069)
Once again, since you people can't comprehend this, the contract is 6 years 45 million w/ 22 guaranteed. Clements will not see years 7 and 8.

Someone pin this

Interesting point. I don't think alot of us even know the structure of it. So it is 6 years for 7.5 each year on average, and than it jumps up to 18 for each of the last 2 seasons?

edge_V 03-03-2007 09:09 AM

I wouldn't put him above Champ, McCalister, Reshean Mathis, or Asante Samuel.

remix 6 03-03-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodar21 (Post 183065)
Obviously besides Champ, Clements is one of the best CBs in the league. I'd put him behind Cmac and Newman.

no way is he 1 of the best as in top 3-5

hes from 6-10 range

he used to be Champ Bailey level but then he quieted down

heres a list in no order whos better

Bailey
Samuel
McAlister
Harris
Mathis
Newman
Winfield
^all those guys can be argued to be better than Clements

Jonathan_VIlma 03-03-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 183273)
LEIGH BODDEN BABY

:)

Chad Johnson said he (Leigh Bodden) was best CB east of Denver, but thats Chad Johnson.

Clements is really good, I just think he has a really hard time with the deep ball, but he is a great pick up for the 49'rs anyways and I wish we could have locked him up, but not for that money.

I believe Shiver had a post, showing like four instances in which CJ said an opposing quarterback was the best he's ever faced.

remix 6 03-03-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma (Post 183315)
I believe Shiver had a post, showing like four instances in which CJ said an opposing quarterback was the best he's ever faced.

can we stop with the Chad Johnson said..

heres what i heard CJ say

-Bodden = best
- Clements = best in like '04 i think
- Bailey = best
- Asamaugha = 1 of the best
- Samuel cant cover him 1 on 1..and well CJ didnt do ****
- CJ said he was going to knock Rodney Harrison's helmet off..didnt happen

CJ is having fun and buttering up defenders..he can say anything he wants but hes either

a. Joking
b. on drugs
c. havign fun
d. lost his mind
e. just wants to praise a good defender

The Legend 03-03-2007 10:06 AM

Champ
C-Mac
Samuel
C-Wood
Nate

i know people are gonna question my list but who cares

Space Ghost 03-03-2007 10:08 AM

He didn't always match up with teams number one receivers this year because of our defense, but after the bye week he went on a tear and was great playing like one of the top guys right behind Champ Bailey, over the whole season he was probably top 15 but after the bye week he was definitely top 5 along with Rashean Mathis, Chris McAllister & Adam Jones.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.