Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Orleans Saints Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Saints Offseason Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2723)

Sveen 02-25-2007 06:09 PM

Saints Offseason Thread

Post all Free Agent Signings,Rumors, Releases, & Re-Signings here!

Quote:

The Saints might not be able to afford cornerback Nate Clements or linebacker Adalius Thomas, two of the premier defensive free agents. But they said they will explore the possibilities. Other options they will likely pursue include linebacker Donnie Edwards and cornerback Nick Harper.
Source: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...l=1&thispage=2

UtepMiner 02-25-2007 06:42 PM

Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.

diabsoule 02-25-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auron (Post 162513)
Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.

I agree with you, man. I'd rather us go after a young, promising guy in FA or draft a few good guys.

bucknut12 02-25-2007 09:30 PM

Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.

UtepMiner 02-25-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreboy (Post 163782)
Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.

I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.

diabsoule 02-25-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auron (Post 163806)
I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.

That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

Saints Dome Patrol 02-26-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 164183)
That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

I know I'm not in the majority here, but I don't know if we need to go after Donnie Edwards. He's no spring chicken, and I feel like we can always draft a better replacement for Mark Simoneau in the Draft.

DeangeloHall4President 02-26-2007 12:36 AM

I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress). With his 40 time and his hands being as good as they are he might be considered if there is no defensive player worth the pick

Acreboy 02-26-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtepMiner (Post 163806)

The Redskins have a deal with everyone once FA starts...

Sveen 02-26-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeangeloHall4President (Post 164857)
I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress).

I can almost agree with that. I'd like to see us taking the best LB/DB/DT available in the 1st round, but if we could get a steal in a WR or TE that would be good too.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 10:58 AM

Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.

Flyboy 02-26-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 165807)
Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.

Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 166158)
Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

Danny Clark's sure didn't.

Auron 02-26-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 166194)
Danny Clark's sure didn't.

Well for some reason the staff was reluctant to give him major playing time, probably because he was never fully up to date on the Defensive calls until after training camp. I'd still like to see him re-signed (for cheap)he was good in goal line situations and would be an excellent back up.

With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auron (Post 166281)
With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.

Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.

Auron 02-26-2007 01:24 PM

I think you're looking too much into age, I don't like signing aging veterans either, but these guys are consistent veterans who have playing at a high level despite of age.

Simoneau was the weak link on the LB corps this year, he was able to get players aligned and make the calls but he lacks sideline to sideline speed, often times the other LBs got to ball carriers before him. He often times took a false step in the wrong direction and bit on misdirection, which in turn opened up running lanes for opposing backs. When Hollis Thomas was drawing double teams he still failed to make plays.

Compare Edwards', and Fletcher's production over the past 3 years and you can see why people think it is decent upgrade at the position.

Donnie Edwards
Year G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Pass Def
'04 16 150 104.0 46 1 5 8
'05 16 152 112.0 40 3 2 9
'06 16 141 97.0 44 2.5 3 4

London Fletcher
'04 16 142 92.0 50 3.5 0 3
'05 16 157 104.0 53 4 1 2
'06 16 146 104.0 42 2 4 7

Mark Simoneau
'04 14 48 33.0 15 1.5 0 0 1
'05 16 36 27.0 9 0 0 0 2
'06 16 61 33.0 28 1 1 0 0

noticeable difference, Fletcher, and Edwards have been consistent highly productive starters, while Simoneau has been a backup who was able to be a serviceable starter for a year.

diabsoule 02-26-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 166414)
Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.

I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 167109)
I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

I think I said that Mitchell wouldn't be much of an upgrade in another thread, but quite honestly I don't know that much about him. If what you say is true, he would be a fine signing. I've heard bad things about him though, such as never lived up to his potential.

Saints67 02-26-2007 05:23 PM

Saints Signings/Releases

to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN-News...

Saints Dome Patrol 02-26-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints67 (Post 167568)
to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN.

I think I speak for the majority of Saints fans on here when I say...

THANK GOD! :D

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 05:48 PM

"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.

Auron 02-26-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 167697)
"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.

That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 02-26-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auron (Post 167761)
That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Auron 02-26-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan (Post 167768)
I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Yeah. Well if he ever experiences a major drop off after this year the Saints can cut him with little, to no penalty.

In the end I think this deal will be ok, there's going to be a lot of inflated contracts this off-season with the increased cap space around the league.

Now Mickey can focus his attention to working things out with Grant, and negotiating with Stinchcomb.

diabsoule 02-26-2007 08:20 PM

I think we had to overpay him a little but now we have our main run stuffer back. I'm hoping we can still land someone like DT Ian Scott to help out the rotation. Here's hoping too that we can sign someone like Rod Hood as well.