Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Prospect Comparison Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27643)

TACKLE 12-07-2008 11:17 PM

Prospect Comparison Thread

I'm sure we'll have a few more of these before the draft but we haven't had one in a while.

BJ Raji - Vince Wilfork
Clint Sintim - Joey Porter
George Selvie - DeMarcus Ware
Knoshown Moreno - Clinton Portis
Gerald McCoy - Kevin Williams
Sergio Kindle - Julian Peterson

Post your own.

Hines 12-07-2008 11:18 PM

Andre Smith- Shawn Andrews

Turtlepower 12-07-2008 11:19 PM

Knowshon Moreno - Cadillac Williams

Someone brought it up before and it is beyond uncanny how exact they are.

princefielder28 12-07-2008 11:19 PM

Devin Moore :: Leon Washington
Colt McCoy :: Jeff Garcia

OneToughGame 12-07-2008 11:20 PM

Michael Crabtree - Marques Colston

I think Crabtree is a bit faster then him though.

TACKLE 12-07-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlepower (Post 1357882)
Knowshon Moreno - Cadillac Williams

Someone brought it up before and it is beyond uncanny how exact they are.

That is a good one. They were very similar college players in the SEC. Though I like the Portis one because of their size, running style and the energy they play with.

regoob2 12-07-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 1357889)
That is a good one. They were very similar college players in the SEC. Though I like the Portis one because of their size, running style and the energy they play with.

Moreno and Caddy are very similar. Also Marshawn lynch. I think Lesean McCoy plays like Portis. Similar size speed and running style.

RaiderNation 12-08-2008 12:41 AM

Andre Smith- Jason Peters/Shaun Andrews
Rey Maualuga- Junior Seau
Michael Crabtree- Anquan Boldin
Matt Stafford- Jay Cutler
Aaron Curry- AJ Hawk

iBoldin 12-08-2008 12:48 AM

I think Crabtree is much more comparable to Larry Fitzgerald, big YAC monsters, have the same frame and the same skills. Boldin is more of a compact, catch in traffic guy.

Pokeys 12-08-2008 12:54 AM

Moreno to Portis? lol

SenorGato 12-08-2008 01:55 AM

LeSean McCoy - LT, but if that's too big then a young Fred Taylor, and if that's too big then DeAngelo Williams.

Tyson Jackson - Marcus Spears

Aaron Curry/Clint Sintim - Karlos Dansby. Sintim gets there because Dansby was/is a good pass rusher, even though he doesn't do it as much as he used to. Curry gets there because he reminds me of Dansby right now, a well rounded LBer who can do everything at well above average levels. I think Sintim has that kind of upside too. While thats not as fun as watching him pile up sacks, it will make him a better all around player.

Alex Mack - Nick Mangold. I also think he'll grow a beard in the pros. It seems like it's an elite C thing to do that.

Scott McKillop - A hopefully not drafted by the Patriots Teddy Bruschi.

Vontae Davis - Darrelle Revis

Everette Brown - DeMarcus Ware

Jason Smith - Chris Samuels or Levi Brown. Basically, the forgotten elite T. He's going to climb up boards I think. Dude can play.

Greg Hardy - Mike Vrabel, the '03 and '07 version, all the time. Maybe I'm overestimating him here, but I think he's a smarter player than he's given credit for. If he's not that versatile, then F it you've got someone with elite pass rushing ability anyway. He's got similar size and body type to Vrabel, which I don't think many of the other guys compared to Vrabel (any white dude with pass rushing ability in the 240-270 range) really have. Interviews and the actual draft will clear up Hardy's comparison. I think Merriman can fit here too. Depends really on how he gets used and what he's coached/willing to be coached into.

Duke Robinson - Shawn Andrews. Andre Smith could get this comparison, but people are sleeping on Robinson. An in-shape Duke Robinson is a true elite G prospect IMO.

Mark Herzlich - Brian Urlacher. Sick all around LBer whose coverage ability makes him a very good LB prospect.

Brandon Pettigrew - Chris Baker - Solid TE that I don't think ever has a super amazing season. Hopefully, he gets a chance to catch more passes than Baker has in his NFL career.

DHB - Randy Moss. Obviously probably won't blow the NFL world away like Moss did, but ridiculously similar as a player. Playmaker. I just think it's weird how a 6'4 lanky mofo WR like this guy can turn an end around into a TD, but then I remember he's really, really, unfairly fast.

Vince Oghobaase - Richard Seymour type player. A tall, long, athletic, well rounded DT/DE prospect. If he gets drafted by a 4-3 team, adjust to comparisons to the other tall, strong, athletic 4-3 DTs out there like Williams, Henderson, or Haynesworth. I doubt he comes out, but when he does teams will be drooling.

SenorGato 12-08-2008 01:57 AM

LeSean McCoy - LT, but if that's too big then a young Fred Taylor, and if that's too big then DeAngelo Williams.

Tyson Jackson - Marcus Spears

Aaron Curry/Clint Sintim - Karlos Dansby. Sintim gets there because Dansby was/is a good pass rusher, even though he doesn't do it as much as he used to. Curry gets there because he reminds me of Dansby right now, a well rounded LBer who can do everything at well above average levels. I think Sintim has that kind of upside too. While thats not as fun as watching him pile up sacks, it will make him a better all around player.

Alex Mack - Nick Mangold. I also think he'll grow a beard in the pros. It seems like it's an elite C thing to do that.

Scott McKillop - A hopefully not drafted by the Patriots Teddy Bruschi.

Vontae Davis - Darrelle Revis

Everette Brown - DeMarcus Ware

Jason Smith - Chris Samuels - Basically, the forgotten elite T. He's going to climb up boards I think. Dude can play.

Greg Hardy - Mike Vrabel, the '03 and '07 version, all the time. Maybe I'm overestimating him here, but I think he's a smarter player than he's given credit for. If he's not that versatile, then F it you've got someone with elite pass rushing ability anyway. He's got similar size and body type to Vrabel, which I don't think many of the other guys compared to Vrabel (any white dude with pass rushing ability in the 240-270 range) really have. Interviews and the actual draft will clear up Hardy's comparison. I think Merriman can fit here too. Depends really on how he gets used and what he's coached/willing to be coached into.

Duke Robinson - Shawn Andrews. Andre Smith could get this comparison, but people are sleeping on Robinson. An in-shape Duke Robinson is a true elite G prospect IMO.

Mark Herzlich - Brian Urlacher. Sick all around LBer whose coverage ability makes him a very good LB prospect.

Brandon Pettigrew - Chris Baker - Solid TE that I don't think ever has a super amazing season. Hopefully, he gets a chance to catch more passes than Baker has in his NFL career.

DHB - Randy Moss. Obviously probably won't blow the NFL world away like Moss did, but ridiculously similar as a player. Playmaker. I just think it's weird how a 6'4 lanky mofo WR like this guy can turn an end around into a TD, but then I remember he's really, really, unfairly fast.

Vince Oghobaase - Richard Seymour type player. A tall, long, athletic, well rounded DT/DE prospect. If he gets drafted by a 4-3 team, adjust to comparisons to the other tall, strong, athletic 4-3 DTs out there like Williams, Henderson, or Haynesworth. I doubt he comes out, but when he does teams will be drooling. He'll be the best DT prospect since Ngata IMO.

MetSox17 12-08-2008 02:31 AM

Sergio Kindle - Lawrence Timmons

Brian Orakpo - Vernon Gholston (with the actual want to play)

Jeremy Maclin - Greg Jennings

Duke Robinson - Davin Joseph

James Lauranitis - Ryan Fowler

giantsfan 12-08-2008 02:50 AM

Joseph was much more athletic and quicker on his feet than Duke, that said he wasn't as powerful and simply massive.

Halsey 12-08-2008 06:13 AM

Many people seem to like LeSean McCoy better than Moreno simply because McCoy weighs a few more pounds. That didn't stop Moreno from averaging a full yard more per carry despite playing in a tougher conference with a constantly changing O-line.

SenorGato 12-08-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 1358231)
Many people seem to like LeSean McCoy better than Moreno simply because McCoy weighs a few more pounds. That didn't stop Moreno from averaging a full yard more per carry despite playing in a tougher conference with a constantly changing O-line.

I like McCoy more than Moreno because of overall body type. McCoy is straight up built like a RB. It helps that he's probably faster and definitely quicker in and out of his cuts.

Both of their O-lines were inconsistent at best this year.

Hines 12-08-2008 07:33 AM

Vince Oghobaase- Haloti Ngata

Halsey 12-08-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 1358240)
I like McCoy more than Moreno because of overall body type. McCoy is straight up built like a RB. It helps that he's probably faster and definitely quicker in and out of his cuts.

Both of their O-lines were inconsistent at best this year.

Nobody in the country can cut like Moreno and McCoy's body type is no better than Moreno's. MCCoy may have better stright line speed, but that still didn't stop Moreno from having a yard more per carry average.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRfHpzdmg8

SeanTaylorRIP 12-08-2008 08:09 AM

Andre Brown-Shorter Brandon Jacobs: I'm probably alone on this one but I love this kid Brown and think he's going to be a great back in the league and is underrated right now. He is a huge physical kid who teams have difficulty tackling. Running down hill he will punish you. Jacobs is an awfully lofty comparison for him as a prospect he is more like Tim Hightower, but Hightower is faster and more shifty and not the pure power runner like Brown and Jacobs.

Javon Ringer-Ray Rice: Both have strong bases, despite being small guys they are tough inside physical runners. Both project probably as change of pace backs in the league, who will step in as lead backs when need be. Both have serious issues about work load in college.

Tyrell Sutton-Taurean Henderson: Will have about as successful of a career in the NFL as Henderson.

Eric Kettani-Kyle Eckel: Too easy.

Javorskie Lane-Glen "Big Baby" Davis: The resemblance is uncanny, especially when they are bawling their eyes out.

Clint Sintim-Adalius Thomas:Both are 6-3" 260 range, great pass rushers who thrive in the 3-4 but also have the range to play in coverage as well as pursuit ball carriers from behind.

Cedric Peerman-Michael Turner: Both are shorter but awfully power backs who when they hit the edge people underestimate them and they can bust a big one to the house. They also have similar running styles with their bootay's sticking out. Peerman will probably time similar to Turner at the combine. Like Turner I can see him being a 5th round pick. UVA backs have done pretty good in the NFL with Tiki Barber, Thomas Jones, Wali Lundy his rookie season, and now Jason Snelling with the Falcons who's very versatile.

Darrius Heyward-Bey-Bernard Berrain: DHB has potential to be so much better, but I will reserve a lofty comparison until he produces on the field in the NFL. Berrian is actually a really good NFL player.

Brandon Pettigrew-Todd Heap:Certainly doesn't have the squeaky clean image of Heap, but like Heap he is a great in box blocker with nice hands and the ability to beat teams by finding soft spots in coverage.

Jaison Williams-Vincent Jackson: I still believe in him, but will any NFL franchise, maybe not.

Travis Beckum-Dustin Keller: Similar prospects, but Beckum won't go anywhere as high as Keller. Beckum will most likely go in the 3-5 round range.

Jordan Norwood-Brandon Stockley: I know the forbidden racial comparison, but Norwood is a small guy who runs crafty routes and always finds a way to get open.

Macho Harris-Shawn Springs: Both are bigger CB's who have the ability to play safety if needed but are physical cover corners with more than adequate cover ability, but can make great breaks on the ball. Macho though isn't even in the same conversation in terms of on the field football intelligence and technique.

CroomDawgs 12-08-2008 08:26 AM

Matt Stafford- Jay Cutler
Sam Bradford- Matt Hasselbeck

Chris Wells- Faster Jamal Lewis
Knowshon Moreno- Caddilac Williams
Shady McCoy- Laurence Maroney

Michael Crabtree- Marques Colston
Jeremy Maclin- More polished Ted Ginn
Darrius Heywad Bey- Randy Moss (like senorgato explained from a measurable standpoint)
Percy Harvin- MUCH more polished Devin Hester.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-08-2008 08:28 AM

I don't think Maclin is anything like Ginn. I think people are underestimating Maclin's strength and Bulk as well as his polish already. I am a huge fan of all 3 top WR's in this draft, and am also higher than most with Harvin. The 4 underclassman are really strong IMO. Their declaring will make this WR class either weak or strong.

DeathbyStat 12-08-2008 08:35 AM

Nate Davis=Jeff Garcia

Aaron Maybin=Shawn Merriman

DiG 12-08-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 1357877)
I'm sure we'll have a few more of these before the draft but we haven't had one in a while.

Knoshown Moreno - Clinton Portis

Post your own.

I honestly think McCoy is more like Portis than Moreno. I don't think Moreno has Portis quickness.

some offensive ones:

james davis - frank gore
rashad jennings - forte
beanie wells - marion barber
crabtree - larry fitz
maclin - santonio holmes
dhb - ocho cinco

Bruce Banner 12-08-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 1358086)

I like this one. Is DHB really 6'4 though?

DiG 12-08-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Banner (Post 1358385)
I like this one. Is DHB really 6'4 though?

no hes 6'3 but he should run in the 4.3s