Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does Mangini hate the Pats enough to cost them their playoff spot? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28112)

Smooth Criminal 12-23-2008 11:42 AM

Does Mangini hate the Pats enough to cost them their playoff spot?

Since the Jets can only make the playoffs if the Bills beat the Pats at 1 on sunday and the Jets play the Dolphins at 4:15, can anyone else see the Jets throwing the game to keep the Pats out of the playoffs if the beat the Bills?

TimD 12-23-2008 11:45 AM

haha thatd be he greatest thing ever. i kinda hope that happens.

bored of education 12-23-2008 11:45 AM

Hmm...to have the Pats not make it, hell yes! If I am Mangina I wouldn't 'tank' it because I would want a job as DC somewhere after being fired.

gsorace 12-23-2008 11:56 AM

There is no way he tanks it at home against the dolphins with Chad Pennington coming back to NY

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 12-23-2008 12:01 PM

yea screw that that would be lower than prostitutes and if they lose and pats win dont that take them out the playoff picture??

bigbluedefense 12-23-2008 12:01 PM

Mangini already tarnished his reputation in coaching circles.

if he does this, he'll never find a job again outside of the Jets.

they'll play. they'll play hard.

Basileus777 12-23-2008 12:03 PM

The Ravens play at 4, the Jets will not be eliminated with a Pats win. Coaches don't throw games, particularly when they might end up on the hot seat if they lose. Can you imagine what the NY media would do if the Jets lose and the Jags somehow pull off the upset?

Gay Ork Wang 12-23-2008 12:05 PM

especially if he can make the playoffs

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 12-23-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 1383958)
The Ravens play at 4, the Jets will not be eliminated with a Pats win. Coaches don't throw games, particularly when they might end up on the hot seat if they lose.

both the ravens/jas jets/dolphins play at 4 i think and im saying if the pats win and the jets lose than there out right?

Number 10 12-23-2008 12:07 PM

Mangini's job may be on the line, no way does he lose a game on purpose. Doesn't matter if it means playoffs or no playoffs.

Jvig43 12-23-2008 12:10 PM

As a Pats fan Ive been dreading this. The times of the games were both originally to be played at 1. Then they moved the Jets game to 4. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Mangina throws the game.

PACKmanN 12-23-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1383956)
Mangini already tarnished his reputation in coaching circles.

if he does this, he'll never find a job again outside of the Jets.

they'll play. they'll play hard.

by doing what?

CC.SD 12-23-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 (Post 1383969)
Mangini's job may be on the line, no way does he lose a game on purpose. Doesn't matter if it means playoffs or no playoffs.

Xonraider 12-23-2008 12:18 PM

woah, I'm really lost or have really forgotten something... maybe my brain isn't working because I decided to get drunk by myself yesterday at 4 am and then had to wake up at 12 pm. but why would Mangini hate the Pats and why has he tarnished his reputation?

Jvig43 12-23-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC.SD (Post 1383976)

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

bigbluedefense 12-23-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACKmanN (Post 1383975)
by doing what?

no one wants to hire a guy who could potentially snitch all their secrets to the league once he leaves.

you think bellichick was/is the only coach in the league doing shady things behind the scenes?

if you believe that, then theres a bridge in brooklyn id like to sell you.

derza222 12-23-2008 12:25 PM

I'm really not sure Mangini has all that much against the Patriots, and I don't see why he would. They offered him an opportunity to get to the level where he would get a head coaching job and he then moved on. He should appreciate what they did for him, and try and beat them as a division rival. The Dolphins are a division rival as well so do what you can to beat the rival that's right in front of you. And as someone pointed out they may still be alive if the Ravens lose (not positive on the exact details) plus his job is at risk. He'd be an absolute fool to throw the game. I'd also like to think that no team, forget a borderline playoff team, would throw any game for any reason, perhaps that's being too optimistic though.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 12-23-2008 12:26 PM

Mangini is a sore loser and he always finds excuses of why they lost and he has some grudge against the pats but ill tell you one thing you cant throw a game when Favre is on your team because no matter what he will play hard and try to win the game

bored of education 12-23-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derza222 (Post 1384011)
I'm really not sure Mangini has all that much against the Patriots, and I don't see why he would. They offered him an opportunity to get to the level where he would get a head coaching job and he then moved on. He should appreciate what they did for him, and try and beat them as a division rival. The Dolphins are a division rival as well so do what you can to beat the rival that's right in front of you. And as someone pointed out they may still be alive if the Ravens lose (not positive on the exact details) plus his job is at risk. He'd be an absolute fool to throw the game. I'd also like to think that no team, forget a borderline playoff team, would throw any game for any reason.

To be honest and not a douchebag I agree. Mangini may not have an issue, but Bill may. But Bill can deal with it. manging was just doing what was better for HIMSELF.

The past is the past.

bored of education 12-23-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES (Post 1384015)
Mangini is a sore loser and he always finds excuses of why they lost and he has some grudge against the pats but ill tell you one thing you cant throw a game when Favre is on your team because no matter what he will play hard and try to win the game

I think Bill Bellicheck has more of a grudge against Mangini than Mangini against the Pats.

FlyingElvis 12-23-2008 12:29 PM

I'm not sure I even believe that Mangini truly hates the Pats at all. I certainly don't think he is enough of a turd to tank a game. In all honesty I think the spygate nonsense was a head game (he did learn from Belichick) that turned into something Mangini never even cosidered as a possible consequence.

On top of that he has to worry about his job and a 10-6 record may be enough to secure it, whereas a 9-7 record and losing 4 of the last 5 after beating the Pats & Titans in consecutive games could very well get him fired.

Jvig43 12-23-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 1384021)
I think Bill Bellicheck has more of a grudge against Mangini than Mangini against the Pats.

Yeah im sure NOW BB has a bigger grudge against Mangini.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 12-23-2008 12:31 PM

yea i dont think he would throw it because theres always the chance of just doing it the football way and playing them in the playoffs

The Great Jonathan Vilma 12-23-2008 12:47 PM

Throws the game? Are you people being serious? There is no way that though should enter anyones mind. Throw in the fact that this could be the nail in the coffin of what i hope is Mangini's last game as the Jets coach, there is no way he puts himself in that position. However, i will say that he is stupid enough and puts together crappy enough gameplans that he can lose the game, while trying, but look so damn stupid in the process that it appears as though he was throwin gthe game. He appears to operate under the following thought process - "X is there weakness...they probably expect us to try to exploit that, so to compensate we will attack their strength, which should be weak due to the opponent trying to strengthen their weakness"

Such an idiot.

sbh15 12-23-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 1383928)
Since the Jets can only make the playoffs if the Bills beat the Pats at 1 on sunday and the Jets play the Dolphins at 4:15, can anyone else see the Jets throwing the game to keep the Pats out of the playoffs if the beat the Bills?

There are other way for the Pats to get in (though so help me God if it happens) so, no, he won't do that. Not that he would anyway.