Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Can anyone else buy the Minnesota Vikings? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28161)

iBoldin 12-24-2008 10:17 PM

Can anyone else buy the Minnesota Vikings?

I've seen a lot of love the past couple of weeks for the Carolina Panthers, based on how they can run the football. Regardless of what happens this week with the Giants game, if the Vikings make the playoffs, I'd watch out for them.

Despite the loss to Atlanta last week, the Vikings are peaking right now. They can run the ball relentlessly, quite like Carolina. And they have gotten inconsistent quarterbacking play from the Gus Bus and Tavaris Jackson, much the same as Jake Delhomme and Carolina. And while the Panthers have a star out wide, and the Vikings have Bernard Berrian,they've proved they can win with what they have, and to me, that's big.

The thing that jumps out at me is the run defense, even with the looming possibility of the Williams' still getting suspended (I believe, but I'm not too educated on that subject) and Fat Pat's injury. The cohesiveness I've seen from that line, when I've watched them, is fantastic. I have never watched the Williams' in too much detail until I saw the Chicago game on SNF. The way they coincide with each other, they way they pushed the pocket on every pass play, it opens up so much for Jared Allen and company. Imagine if they had a Jared Allen for the time they've been in Minny?

Overall, I think this is a team that can go and play in the cold weather, a team that is built for it, and a team that can run the football, stop the run, and is solid in every facet of the game is something to look for in the playoffs.

If you want to move this into the team board, feel free to do so, but I think we can get more discussion here.

tjsunstein 12-24-2008 11:03 PM

I'm not one bit convinced that the Vikings will do anything in the playoffs.

They cannot run the ball relentlessly like Carolina. Not in the playoffs atleast. I would expect 8 in the box and a double team on Berrian every other play.

Their quarterback play is way to lackadaisical for any playoff team. Doesn't even come close to Jake Delhomme in my opinion. You either have a turnover machine in Frerotte or an inaacurate passer in T-Jack. Pick your poison, Childress.

They have a pro bowl corner in Winfield but have the 18th ranked pass defense. I know that the playoffs are about running the ball and stopping the run, so the Vikes look good on paper but a good passing game should keep them off balance and guessing. The Williams' and Allen aren't exactly 100 percent.

They've proved me wrong so far, so prove me wrong again Minnesota.

Xiomera 12-24-2008 11:08 PM

Mr. Ford would be happy to buy the Vikings.

thefalconer 12-24-2008 11:10 PM

shinacoe is a beast.

bearsfan_51 12-24-2008 11:12 PM

I thought you meant literally, since they are probably moving to L.A. in 2011.

ShutDwn 12-24-2008 11:12 PM

How many Vikings have experience in the playoffs? I know it isn't everything, but that is one of the main reasons why the Panthers are getting love, though Jake isn't playing great right now, he has been known to be a lot better in the playoffs, so has Steve Smith and John Fox teams in general have performed pretty damn well.

Berrian is far from the receiver Smith is.

adschofield 12-24-2008 11:12 PM

I wonder how that team would perform if they still had Thigpen...

diabsoule 12-24-2008 11:16 PM

To be honest, the only thing I can do is sell the Vikings. Do you really want to trust either Tavaris Jackson or Gusgus in the playoffs? What about Adrian "Fumbler" Peterson? You need consistency, effectiveness, and smarts to win in the playoffs. I have seen nothing of the such from the Viqueens.

Sure, their defense can stop the run but they have a terrible time stopping the pass. I think they match up poorly with anyone they will play and really can not see them making it out of the 1st round.

MetSox17 12-24-2008 11:40 PM

I think it just depends who they play. They can win against the Cardinals, Bucs and Falcons, i don't know about Dallas/Philadelphia. Their running game is good, even though their passing severely drags them down. I think the defense is good enough, the only team that really lights it up through the air in the NFC is Arizona, and we all saw what happened last week.

bearsfan_51 12-24-2008 11:55 PM

How is it that the Vikings could win against the Falcons, but not the Cowboys/Eagles, when the Falcons are the best team of those three?

The Cowboys let the Ravens run all over them. Adrian Peterson would be licking his lips. This facade that the Cowboys are a good football team is getting incredibly old.

BeerBaron 12-24-2008 11:59 PM

I don't even buy the Vikings making it INTO the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcA-NEhWVfI

No!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaiderNation 12-25-2008 12:03 AM

If Jackson can play decent they might have a shot at making it to the conference championship game

Paranoidmoonduck 12-25-2008 12:11 AM

I could buy that the Vikings are playing better football than they have at any other point this year, and that always makes a team dangerous. I don't really see them as a Superbowl contender, because even the bright spots on that team have some dings that I don't expect to be eradicated before the first round of the playoffs, but they could put up a decent fight.

Staubach12 12-25-2008 12:41 AM

I've got $25, a ham sandwich, and an iPhone. I could probably buy the Lions, but if I wanted the Vikings, I'd have to get a job.

Xonraider 12-25-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 1386743)

No!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great moment...

The Dynasty 12-25-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 1386681)
Sure, their defense can stop the run but they have a terrible time stopping the pass. I think they match up poorly with anyone they will play and really can not see them making it out of the 1st round.

I'm not saying that we do have a bad time stopping the Pass but it has been a lot better this year. Usually we are 32nd in pass Defense and 1 in Rush Defense. But this year we are 1st in Rush Defense and 18th in Pass Defense which is a huge upgrade. I feel that if the Vikings had a Decent Passing game it would help. Tarvaris has played Outstanding since he came back when Gus went down but how long will that last is what I'm asking myself. Berrian has been the deep threat that we signed him for but we need to get him more involved in the offense He is averaging less than 3 Receptions a game which is way to low for a guy being Paid top 10 Money. Also Adrian does have a fumbling problem but that can be fixed over time.

I think the Vikings are a Wait and see what they do before you buy them. They have to start beating the teams that are playoff caliber. If they can beat the Giants on Sunday, I think they could become dangerous but it all depends on the matchups they get.

sbh15 12-25-2008 12:56 AM

"Insufficient funds for this transaction"...

You lucky bastard. Enjoy the Vikings.

In all seriousness... Once Tarvaris Jackson is forced to win a game (see: the ATL game) it's over.

CashmoneyDrew 12-25-2008 12:57 AM

I can buy Madden and control them virtually...

PoopSandwich 12-25-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adschofield (Post 1386679)
I wonder how that team would perform if they still had Thigpen...

Or the god king derek anderson

djp 12-25-2008 01:17 AM

I'm a Vikings fan and even I can't buy them. Tarvaris has been phenomenal the past few weeks but we have to be realistic with our expectations with him.

Peterson is having monstrous problems holding onto the ball and the defenses are trying to rip it away on EVERY single play now that they know.

We have the defense, with Pat, to make it all the way -- however, Pat and Allen are both banged up and less than 100%..

Plus, we still have to even get INTO the playoffs, which, if you've followed the Vikings, can (and already is) be a wild adventure

MetSox17 12-25-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 1386740)
How is it that the Vikings could win against the Falcons, but not the Cowboys/Eagles, when the Falcons are the best team of those three?

The Cowboys let the Ravens run all over them. Adrian Peterson would be licking his lips. This facade that the Cowboys are a good football team is getting incredibly old.

What exactly have the Falcons done to even remotely prove that they're the best team of those that were mentioned? Had they gone out and dominated the Vikings last week i'd be buying that, but they have a horrible defense and their offense isn't lights out either. They're above average, nothing to be scared of.

The Cowboys are a good team one week and a bad one the next. The defense played lights out against the Ravens up until that horrible collapse at the end. Adrian Peterson was shut down by that same defense last year when they were playing worse, so i'm not sure why he'd be licking his lips.

Outside the top two seeds in the NFC right now, the Cowboys and Eagles are next in line as far as being the best. I can guarantee you that if Atlanta played Dallas/Philadelphia, they'd lose handily.

bearsfan_51 12-25-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 1386904)
What exactly have the Falcons done to even remotely prove that they're the best team of those that were mentioned? Had they gone out and dominated the Vikings last week i'd be buying that, but they have a horrible defense and their offense isn't lights out either. They're above average, nothing to be scared of.

The Cowboys are a good team one week and a bad one the next. The defense played lights out against the Ravens up until that horrible collapse at the end. Adrian Peterson was shut down by that same defense last year when they were playing worse, so i'm not sure why he'd be licking his lips.

Outside the top two seeds in the NFC right now, the Cowboys and Eagles are next in line as far as being the best. I can guarantee you that if Atlanta played Dallas/Philadelphia, they'd lose handily.

I seem to recall you also saying a few weeks ago in response to my rankings that Baltimore was in no way better than Dallas. The Cowboys aren't very good. They haven't been for a long ass time. Move on.

tjsunstein 12-25-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

No!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best. Call. Ever.

Halsey 12-25-2008 11:03 AM

It sounds good to say "they can run the ball", but so can most teams in the playoffs. What seperates the teams is often the ability to balance the run with an effective passing game. As far as stopping the run, the Vikings could really use Pat Williams back.

Bucs_Rule 12-25-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

No!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so awesome.