Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Browns Fire GM Savage (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28244)

BmoreBlackByrdz 12-28-2008 05:57 PM

Browns Fire GM Savage

Quote:

Profootballtalk reports that the Browns have already let go of Phil Savage.
Savage won a power struggle with team president John Collins in 2005, Savage's first year on the job, and had Cleveland on the rise the next two years. After a highly aggressive offseason that included trading up for Brady Quinn in the 2007 draft, the Browns went 10-6 and Savage got a contract extension. However, this year's 4-12 flop coupled with Savage's PR blunders sealed his fate. Savage is still sure to resurface at a high position in another NFL front office. He's a good evaluator and respected by his peers. Dec. 28 - 5:23 pm et
Source: Profootballtalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/28/savage-fired/

take it for what its worth. I wouldnt believe it until we can get some official confrimation.

IMO this wasnt a nessicary move. Savage can't coach the team, he can only provide the best players he can in his power and he did that, from then on its the head coaches responsibility. Crennel was more deserving of being fired. Oh and my apologies if this is in the wrong thread, just thought it was big enough news...

tjsunstein 12-28-2008 06:13 PM

I believe it even from pft

bored of education 12-28-2008 06:17 PM

doesnt shock me.

PoopSandwich 12-28-2008 06:24 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Egotistical piece of **** gone.

BlindSite 12-28-2008 06:39 PM

I give it about 3 days before he gets a new job

BrownsTown 12-28-2008 06:40 PM

Great talent scout who didn't work as a GM.

CashmoneyDrew 12-28-2008 06:41 PM

Merry Christmas 2.0 Browns fans.

keylime_5 12-28-2008 06:47 PM

I loved Savage in the draft and recognizing talent, I was always a fan of his. Hopefully our new "regime" can turn us around quickly.

BmoreBlackByrdz 12-28-2008 06:50 PM

what exactly did Savage do to get fired? I mean he gave Romeo a ton of talent through free agency AND the draft and yet it is him getting fired. I think the wrong person was fired. It was Romeo and his coaching staffs responsibility to work with the talent and get the best out of them. I really don't understand this move.

BlindSite 12-28-2008 06:53 PM

Might not have been great but he'd be better than the guys currently in St Louis and Detroit

PoopSandwich 12-28-2008 06:57 PM

I read an article and from what it said, in a nutshell, Savage didn't get alot of the players that Crennel wanted, and the one time he did he got Wimbley instead of Ngata (Crennel's fault) but otherwise Crennel would have been right almost every time and Savage screwed up every time.

keylime_5 12-28-2008 07:16 PM

that plus the whole email thing and the winslow feud, and a few other instances before that where there was some controversy with what he said. I wouldn't have fired him b/c the talent is waaaay more than it was before he got here, but we did win only about 5 divisional games in 4 years and had 1 winning season and 6 wins or less in the other three plus 0 playoff appearances under Crennel/Savage. That's not that bad of ground to fire them both.

T-RICH49 12-28-2008 07:33 PM

I'd hope Clark considers Savage for a role as a scout or something

A Perfect Score 12-28-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-RICH49 (Post 1391636)
I'd hope Clark considers Savage for a role as a scout or something

As a scout? Come on. Savage will have a GM job in no time. The guy is dynamite. Look at the Browns roster before he got there, and look at it now. 100% difference. Its funny how all the browns fans on here just crucify the guy, but the wrong guy got fired. He made your team SO much better and it isnt even funny. If you wanna torch someone, torch Romeo. Savage game him an assload of talented players to coach. Savage will find another GM job, you can bet on that.

Scott Wright 12-28-2008 07:54 PM

I think this was a mistake...

Romeo I can see but Savage gave the Browns enough talent to win.

Savage is one of the best scouts in the business and if I were running an NFL team I'd be tripping all over myself trying to bring him into the organization.

bearsfan_51 12-28-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 1391702)
I think this was a mistake...

Romeo I can see but Savage gave the Browns enough talent to win.

Savage is one of the best scouts in the business and if I were running an NFL team I'd be tripping all over myself trying to bring him into the organization.

The Browns gave Savage enough years to build a playoff team and he didn't get the job done. He's the one that hired Romeo in the first place and the one that failed to fix the defense. He has made some good moves in Cleveland and I'm sure will bounce back on his feet, but it's time to try something different.

Bengals78 12-28-2008 08:02 PM

I wouldnt be 100% opposed to having him as a GM here in Cincinnati. It would at least be a step in the right direction for us.

bearsfan_51 12-28-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 1391729)
I wouldnt be 100% opposed to having him as a GM here in Cincinnati. It would at least be a step in the right direction for us.

A monkey with a bottle of whiskey would be better than Mike Brown.

BeerBaron 12-28-2008 08:05 PM

I think they're trying to clear out some space to bring Cowher in as GM and HC. (Or at least make him HC with a lot of power and let him pick his GM)

They saw what he did to them for years when he was in Pittsburgh and I think they'll throw a lot of money at him trying to get a winning product on the field in that city.

BrownsTown 12-28-2008 08:13 PM

He's done a good job getting players through the draft and FA, but he's clashed with players, front office guys, and he basically sold out the coach to try and keep his job. Building a good team doesn't matter if you help break it apart.

bearsfan_51 12-28-2008 08:15 PM

Maybe Parcells leaves Miami and goes to Cleveland (Mortensen article)

MetSox17 12-28-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 1391735)
I think they're trying to clear out some space to bring Cowher in as GM and HC. (Or at least make him HC with a lot of power and let him pick his GM)

Cowher is going to Dallas (i hope and pray and hope).

BrownsTown 12-28-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 1391773)
Cowher is going to Dallas (i hope and pray and hope).

Well, despite how bad Cleveland is this year, the team has a fair amount of talent and Cowher has a good history with them. If he comes back to coach at all he'd go to Cleveland where he'd have complete control instead of Dallas with Jones looking over his shoulder.

kalbears13 12-28-2008 08:37 PM

Romeo will most likely follow tomorrow.

PoopSandwich 12-28-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 1391709)
The Browns gave Savage enough years to build a playoff team and he didn't get the job done. He's the one that hired Romeo in the first place and the one that failed to fix the defense. He has made some good moves in Cleveland and I'm sure will bounce back on his feet, but it's time to try something different.

Savage didn't hire Romeo.