Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Worst Collapse This Season? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28354)

AlexDown 12-30-2008 01:57 PM

Worst Collapse This Season?

New York Jets : Started out 8-3, lost 4 out of their last 5 (SF, Seattle, Miami, Denver) to finish 9-7 and miss out on playoffs.

Denver Broncos : Lost 3 out of their last 4 (Carolina, Buffalo, SD) to miss out from the playoffs to finish 8-8.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers : Started 9-3 Lost their last 4 games ( Carolina, Atlanta, SD, Oakland) to finish 9-7.

Dallas Cowboys: Lost 3 out of their last 4 (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philadelphia) to finish 9-7.

49erfaithful 12-30-2008 01:58 PM

well the broncos were the first team to have like a 3 game division lead then blow it and not make the playoffs

Vox Populi 12-30-2008 01:59 PM

Bills collapse > all others. 5-1 and comfortable division lead. Go 0-6 within the division and finish 7-9. Thats ****.

eaglesalltheway 12-30-2008 02:00 PM

I say it goes to the Bucs, that was pretty bad, though I won't complain.

Maybe Next Year Millen2 12-30-2008 02:01 PM

Lions 4-0 in the preseason, tied for 1st at kickoff week 1 and then had a 16 game losing streak. Worst collapse ever.

AlexDown 12-30-2008 02:01 PM

I don't know if that is a collapse, 6 games isn't half way into the season.

EDIT: About the Bills...

wicket 12-30-2008 02:03 PM

I'd say the bucs cause they just had to beat the freakin raiders to get in. Thats kinda like getting in a fist fight with mickey mouse and losing.

Geo 12-30-2008 02:04 PM

The Jets are my pick.

At least the Cowboys and the Bucs lost to playoff teams, although Tampa was downright terrible recently. They looked terrible on the road offensively many times this season, to be fair.

How the Jets went looking that good in Tennessee to nosediving that hard, is astounding. Maybe it's something in the water with those historic chokers in the New York Mets.

Denver stole the first game against San Diego that they should have lost, they didn't deserve to play in the postseason.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-30-2008 02:05 PM

Redskins 6-2 through 8 and had people talking about them being the best team in the NFC east, to 2-6 the last 8, finishing last in the division at 8-8 and now so many questions.

tjsunstein 12-30-2008 02:05 PM

Its gotta be the Jets for sure. Riding high off the Tennessee win, they lose to Denver and San Francisco. Both pretty bad teams. Come back with a nail biter win over a team that was in worse shape then them at the time and then lose to Seattle and Miami to seal their fate.

Twiddler 12-30-2008 02:08 PM

I would say the Jets. Going from looking like a favorite to take the AFC to missing the playoffs in five weeks is pretty terrible. Consider that their only victory was a fluke against a struggling team and I think it takes the cake. The other teams at least lost to some competent teams.

Geo 12-30-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP (Post 1395262)
Redskins 6-2 through 8 and had people talking about them being the best team in the NFC east, to 2-6 the last 8, finishing last in the division at 8-8 and now so many questions.

It's still the same issue with the Redskins, they can't score enough. This is a quarterback-driven league. Chances are you won't put enough touchdowns on the board if your runningback is the offense, although the trend has swung back to power/heavy-running more this season.

Though I still think it will get better, once Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly start flourishing so that Jason Campbell can have some real WCO receivers to work with. They already have the guys in those two youngsters, but receivers take time to develop. They just need to stick with them and Zorn, and it will come together.

Although I read an interesting blurb yesterday or so about Brennan really being Zorn's guy and that they might trade Campbell instead of extend him. Eh, I don't buy that.

yodabear 12-30-2008 02:12 PM

3 game lead with 3 to play with a 7-9 Buffalo team at home in week 16, got to go with Denver. They may have lost to the Lions in those 3 weeks cuz they played awful. Buccaneers a close second, they shoulda beat the Raiders in week 17 to get in. Then, the Jets with losing to the two NFC West teams. And then, Dallas being 4th. A lot of teams would lose to Baltimore, Philly, and Pittsburgh, so ESPN needs to lay off them. Although they did lose to the Rams in week 8, so they needed it there.

Menardo75 12-30-2008 02:23 PM

I would have to say Tampa Bay. As soon as Monte said he was leaving that defense, which normally is one of the best units in the league dissapeared.

tjsunstein 12-30-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 1395319)
I would have to say Tampa Bay. As soon as Monte said he was leaving that defense, which normally is one of the best units in the league dissapeared.

Is that you, Bruce Banner?

Menardo75 12-30-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 1395325)
Is that you, Bruce Banner?

No it is I :)

CC.SD 12-30-2008 02:42 PM

My gut says the Jets, but historically no team has ever had a 3 game lead in the division, with 3 games to play, and somehow stayed home. So from an expectation/talent perspective it's the Jets, but the Broncos have a very good argument.

Menardo75 12-30-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC.SD (Post 1395364)
My gut says the Jets, but historically no team has ever had a 3 game lead in the division, with 3 games to play, and somehow stayed home. So from an expectation/talent perspective it's the Jets, but the Broncos have a very good argument.

That's true too they had 3 weeks to lock up the division and couldn't get it done.

PACKmanN 12-30-2008 02:47 PM

Green Bay Packers. We had a great start to the season then everything from there when downhill. We were on a 5-6 game losing streak.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-30-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 1395284)
It's still the same issue with the Redskins, they can't score enough. This is a quarterback-driven league. Chances are you won't put enough touchdowns on the board if your runningback is the offense, although the trend has swung back to power/heavy-running more this season.

Though I still think it will get better, once Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly start flourishing so that Jason Campbell can have some real WCO receivers to work with. They already have the guys in those two youngsters, but receivers take time to develop. They just need to stick with them and Zorn, and it will come together.

Although I read an interesting blurb yesterday or so about Brennan really being Zorn's guy and that they might trade Campbell instead of extend him. Eh, I don't buy that.

Definitely not trading Campbell this offseason as Zorn has stated how much he wants to work with Jason this offseason and that Brennan is having his surgery on his meniscus. As for Devin I have high hopes for him but wouldn't be surprised if Malcolm never plays a down for the skins before we cut him. The guy just can't make it through more than 1 practice without being injured. The rare game or 2 he did play he got no separation and couldn't bring down the ball. I sure would be a happy buck if he proves me wrong, but as of now I am clearly looking at him as a bust 2nd rounder. As far as our other guy Fred Davis's potential looks real good. He fits our system better than Cooley so trading Cooley would be an option being as he is one of our most coveted players, but that would suck because he is a fan favorite, I love the guy, and he has been the most consistent catching option the past 5 years.

Larry 12-30-2008 03:21 PM

Definitely the Jets. You can't go 8-3, lose all your games against weaker opponents on the west coast and miss the playoffs.

Larry 12-30-2008 03:24 PM

But Tampa Bay comes a close second. You can't lose to the Raiders at Home with your playoff hopes on the line.

Dallas just ran into a brick wall of schedule at the end. I'll give them a pass.

Dam8610 12-30-2008 03:25 PM

The biggest collapse in NFL history qualifies as the biggest collapse of this season in my book, sorry Broncos fans.

Larry 12-30-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 1395456)
The biggest collapse in NFL history qualifies as the biggest collapse of this season in my book, sorry Broncos fans.

Denver's defense is terrible and playoff unworthy. I'm glad they collapsed.

Sloopy 12-30-2008 03:29 PM

Based on money spent and pre-season expectations I'd have to say that the Dallas Cowboys are the biggest disappointment on this list. All we heard at the beginning of the season is that the NFC was already decided and that the only real contest was in the AFC and to then not make the playoffs... Jerry Jones just shat a chicken.

Although I have to say that the biggest disappointment not on this list is the patriots as they went from an perfect regular season to a team that didn't make the playoffs and at that they let a 1-15 team in their division go ahead of them to the playoffs. It's like the TB upset of Boston and the Yankees.