Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   An excercise in team building (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28458)

nobodyinparticular 01-02-2009 05:51 AM

An excercise in team building

The Lions are in an interesting situation this offseason. They just had the worst season in the history of the NFL with 16 losses. They really don't have much to build off of other than Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith. They have a lot of holes to fill, but they have 2 rather high draft choices--the #1 choice and the #20 choice.

This situation brings up an interesting question. With two high draft choices, what offensive positions would a new/rebuilding team target (not just the Lions)? There are a ton of combinations to choose from. Do you pick a franchise signal caller? Do you choose a RB to establish a ground game first? Do you choose a LT to fill that premium position that helps both the run and pass game?

Think about the combinations:
QB and LT--this focuses on the passion game and development of the young QB. The LT is drafted to give the QB extra time. Avoids the David Carr syndrome.

QB and RB--this focuses on both aspects of the offensive game at the skill positions. Some people say that a young QB's best friend is a great running game. With this, the team is assured of a good chance at a balanced offensive attack. This is what the Raiders have done over the past two drafts with Russell and McFadden.

QB and WR--This focuses on the two skill positions involved in the passing game. It gives the young QB a great weapon to target which is meant to help his development. The Colts had a similar approach with Harrison and Manning.

LT and C--this focuses on the trenches. Everyone knows the saying that games are won and lost in the trenches. With drafting blue-chip prospects at LT and C, you cover the two most important positions on the offensive line. Now hope to be able to stick any RB and QB back there to have good success. This replicates the Jets' method of building the offense from 2006.

And there are plenty of other combinations--LT/WR (supporting cast first), RB/C (pound it out), WR/RB (WMDs), and more.

If you had the #1 and #20 picks in any draft (assuming that each position had a prospect of similar caliber) which route would you take to build a new team's offense?

Gay Ork Wang 01-02-2009 05:54 AM

LT and DE imo. Start in the trenches. U are forgetting the defense completly

Yatta! 01-02-2009 05:57 AM

QB and LT.

But you could easily make a case for several defensive positions as well.

Gay Ork Wang 01-02-2009 05:58 AM

QB and LT should be ala Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas

nobodyinparticular 01-02-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1400603)

I was thinking only of building an offense.

Gay Ork Wang 01-02-2009 06:07 AM

then QB and LT

Bengalsrocket 01-02-2009 06:18 AM

I realize we're talking strictly about drafting, but I like the Falcons approach of LT + QB, then getting a FA RB (Could always just get a RB later in the draft if you don't want to discuss FA possibilities in this thread).

Personally, QB's are to hard to find. When you see a QB you like you gotta take him. From there, you can do whatever you want really.

If there isn't a QB you like, it's a nice concept to develop a receiver early (Harrison 2 years before Peyton, Chad Johnson 2 years before Palmer, Panthers drafted Steve Smith 2 years before acquiring Jake Delhomme, and a newer connection being Roddy White 3 years before Matt Ryan). With your other pick I'd probably start building that O-line, just getting the BPA for whatever pick you have - regardless of specific position on the line.

To summarize: I'd probably go QB + LT, but if there was no QB I was comfortable with, I'd definitely go receiver.

Edit: If we're specifically talking about the lions and the 2009 NFL Draft, then it's QB + O-line, no question for me.

PACKmanN 01-02-2009 06:38 AM

LT then DT. In order to run an defense or offense the trenches have to win the battle.

The Legend 01-02-2009 06:52 AM

Matt Stanford and then You take the best OT, DE, DT.

Addict 01-02-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1400603)

we have a defense?

Gay Ork Wang 01-02-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addict (Post 1400627)
we have a defense?

well, its a defense just like Nascar Racers are elite athletes

CC.SD 01-02-2009 10:11 AM

No option for BPA?

Teams rank their prospects by more than just position, especially when it comes to the first overall pick. Overall I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the elite players this coming class to offer are as special as some recent drafts. So wanting to avoid "Alex Smith II," and even potentially dodge "Brady Quinn II: aka waaaa I should have been drafted higher PAY ME" I could see Detroit passing up a QB altogether and taking OT/DE and citing them as building blocks.

Let em sign Favre. Favre to Calvin. Yaaaaay

bearfan 01-02-2009 10:17 AM

If Im the Lions rebuilding the offense, I take LT, and then depending on the QBs that come out, take the best one there. So say Sanchez comes out, and falls to 20, or Bradford falls to 20, you will be getting your stud LT and a very good QB with a lot of potential.

jkpigskin 01-02-2009 11:45 AM

LT & MLB
Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis

anchors for both sides of the ball

Staubach12 01-02-2009 12:06 PM

LT and DT. It starts in the trenches.

Forenci 01-02-2009 12:07 PM

Really depends on the team, but if we're talking about a team with no talent really on either side of the ball it'd have to be quarterback and left tackle. I think if you can get those two picks right you'll set your franchise in the right direction for the next 10 years.

After that, it's all about building the defensive line up and continuing to add to the offensive line. Sprinkle in a couple of offensive weapons and you'll have team competing every year, in my opinion.

drowe 01-02-2009 12:41 PM

It has to be a 5 year plan. they're a long way away from competing at this point. it's gonna take more than one good draft. I say...

-Set CJ and Kevin Smith aside. those are the guys you build your team around.

-Take a QB with #1 overall and ease him in. Expectations can be kept low as nobody expects him to save the team in 1 year.

-now, take the BPA at postions not already addressed in the above points.

I think the Lions are in better shape than the Rams are. They have 2 good young players that could be around once a team is built around them. The Rams strength is an aging WR, an injury prone RB and a QB that was never that good to start with. by the time they fix their terrible defense and troubled o-line, they're gonna need to replace their skill players.

The Unseen 01-02-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drowe (Post 1400848)
It has to be a 5 year plan. they're a long way away from competing at this point. it's gonna take more than one good draft. I say...

-Set CJ and Kevin Smith aside. those are the guys you build your team around.

-Take a QB with #1 overall and ease him in. Expectations can be kept low as nobody expects him to save the team in 1 year.

-now, take the BPA at postions not already addressed in the above points.

I think the Lions are in better shape than the Rams are. They have 2 good young players that could be around once a team is built around them. The Rams strength is an aging WR, an injury prone RB and a QB that was never that good to start with. by the time they fix their terrible defense and troubled o-line, they're gonna need to replace their skill players.

A 5-year plan? A Soviet Detriot Revolution!

Ward 01-02-2009 12:51 PM

BPA at O-Line and D-Line. You simply take the most talented players available that play O-line or D-line that fit what you want to do. Those 2 guys won't increase your W's, but become foundations for the future. Then next year you still have high picks, and you take BPA at the skill positions. You take a skill position that can actually help you win games this year and you wallow around the middle of the draft for the next few years, and that sucks.

bigbluedefense 01-02-2009 12:52 PM

unless theres a qb that i really really like, id probably go either LT and C, or LT and DE.

Babylon 01-02-2009 01:37 PM

I guess it depends on what model you want to go with.

The Giants of the 80s built their team with defense: LT, Carl Banks, Harry Carson and then added some offense with Phil Simms and Mark Bavaro

The 90s Cowboys went with Troy Aikman at the top of the draft added Emmitt and Michael Irvin and filled the lines with latter picks.

The Patriots of this century filled their defensive line with high picks, lucked out with Tom Brady and traded for Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

As for Detroit i would say don't force someone because he plays a certain position go with BPA and if two guys have the same grade then go with need.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 01-02-2009 02:00 PM

First thing you need is a franchise QB. They wouldn't give Stanton a chance when they were 0-x, so obviously they aren't confident in him at all. Matthew Stafford first overall unless Bradford goes nuts in the postseason. At 20, maybe a good LT will be available, if not, defense. At 33, if you didnt take the OT at 20, take him then, if not defense, and defense the rest of the way.

Mr. Stiller 01-02-2009 02:24 PM

Andre Smith and Greg Hardy would be my choices for Detroit.

I think it ultimately comes down to the Coach.

What schemes is he going to use?

senormysterioso 01-02-2009 03:28 PM

Best player available and best player available

the decider13 01-02-2009 03:45 PM

Unless there is a "Can't miss" quarterback like peyton manning in the draft, I would take the best lineman available. Runningbacks have short shelf lives, and an amazing line can make decent runningbacks and quarterbacks look great. See: New York Giants