Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mike Smith Coach of the Year. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28531)

ATLDirtyBirds 01-04-2009 12:47 PM

Mike Smith Coach of the Year.

Just beat Tony Sparano out.

Gay Ork Wang 01-04-2009 12:47 PM

yea both shouldve won it

ATLDirtyBirds 01-04-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1405456)
yea both shouldve won it

Looks like he beat him out by 1 vote.

sbh15 01-04-2009 12:48 PM

Sporano should have won it. He took a 1-15 team to the same record Smith (who had a 4-12 team, I think) and re-revolutionized today's game with the Wildcat. So many teams tried to copy it, and he brought it back to the league and made it successful. I just think the way Sporano did it and what he inspired on his way is a bit more impressive.

But where the hell was Harbaugh in this? He was just as good as anyone with a less than spectacular offense.

thebow305 01-04-2009 12:53 PM

This is ********!

Vox Populi 01-04-2009 12:54 PM

And for coach of the first half of the season.... Jim Zorn!!!

Belicheck deserved it. Jeff Fisher deserved it. But hell, guys who have held a job longer than a season don't deserve it because they're maintaining great teams, not bringing **** ones back to respectability... okay...

sbh15 01-04-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vox Populi (Post 1405468)
And for coach of the first half of the season.... Jim Zorn!!!

Belicheck deserved it. Jeff Fisher deserved it. But hell, guys who have held a job longer than a season don't deserve it because they're maintaining great teams, not bringing **** ones back to respectability... okay...

What's more impressive, taking a 16-0 team to 11-5 with the only major change being your star quarterback, though there is still the ridiculous talent around him or taking a 1-15 team to 11-5 with Chad ******* Pennington?

Fischer did a great job, but the only thing he did different was have Chris Johnson. They were 10-6 last year, I believe, so they added 3 wins. That's not close to being like a 10 win turnaround.

SeanTaylorRIP 01-04-2009 12:59 PM

I think John Harbaugh who got zero votes and is never even discussed when talking about first year coaching success, will prove why he deserves some recognition.

Twiddler 01-04-2009 12:59 PM

Damn, I really wish that they would have tied. It's a shame that Sparano didn't get it also, as I really can't decide who deserved it more in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP (Post 1405474)
I think John Harbaugh who got zero votes and is never even discussed when talking about first year coaching success, will prove why he deserves some recognition.

I understand that, but in my opinion he shouldn't have gotten a vote for this years race. Honestly, look at what he is going against. One team improves ten wins in a year to make the playoffs and the other rebounds from Michael Vick/Bobby Petrino to get to the playoffs. Those are two outstanding examples of what a Coach of the Year should be.

CJSchneider 01-04-2009 01:01 PM

Looking back over the article and giving this some second thought, Smith does deserve it. He had a rookie QB and no Bill Parcells. Not to take away from Sparano; both were deserving.

Shiver 01-04-2009 01:23 PM

Both were deserving to be sure, but the Vick/Petrino/rookie QB combination is what put Smith ahead of Sparano. Atlanta had the most toxic environment in the NFL and now they've repaired what damage was done.

The Unseen 01-04-2009 01:25 PM

The Jack Del Rio tree is off to a smashing start!

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 01-04-2009 01:39 PM

Mike Tomlin should have gotten a few votes. Guiding his team through a difficult schedule, and a division title, many thought the browns would take from them.

The Unseen 01-04-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 1405549)
Mike Tomlin should have gotten a few votes. Guiding his team through a difficult schedule, and a division title, many thought the browns would take from them.

Preseason predictions should have nothing to do with after-season evaluations.

soybean 01-04-2009 02:10 PM

i too think harbaugh should've got some votes.

i mean your starting running back is freakin leron mcclain, not to mention a rookie qb from DELAWARE, and your starting WRs derrick mason and mark clayton?

22.6 ppg while flacco completed only 60 percent of his passes.

Halsey 01-04-2009 02:12 PM

It's just an award. I doubt the other coaches who also deserved it are losing sleep.

d34ng3l021 01-04-2009 02:14 PM

Harbaugh did a terrific job, definitely. He should have gotten more votes.

As for Mike Smith and Tony Sparano, either one could have won the award. I think both should have gotten it, but I guess having Bill Parcells on the team took away from Sparano's achievement. Either way, both franchises have bright futures with these guys at helm.

jkpigskin 01-04-2009 02:49 PM

it was a toss up, just kinda sad that Harbaugh didnt get any votes
Congrats to Mike Smith

Vox Populi 01-04-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 1405471)
What's more impressive, taking a 16-0 team to 11-5 with the only major change being your star quarterback, though there is still the ridiculous talent around him or taking a 1-15 team to 11-5 with Chad ******* Pennington?

Fischer did a great job, but the only thing he did different was have Chris Johnson. They were 10-6 last year, I believe, so they added 3 wins. That's not close to being like a 10 win turnaround.

Yeah, because replacing a hall of famer with a guy who had serious conversations in the off season as needing to be upgraded and hadn't started a game since high school is easy. Throw in that the Patriots running game was fueled by guys like BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Lamont Jordan for most of the season. No one out coaches Belicheck and I don't really care what people say about him. People are just jealous and hate the Patriots for their accomplishments. I'm a Bills fan and hate the Patriots but theirs no denying that year in and year out, Belicheck is the best coach in the league, but apparently this award is only available to coaches taking over **** teams.

I don't disagree that Sparano and Smith did great jobs, but neither of the two can out-coach Belicheck and the job that he does year in and year out. Maybe he should take a year off and come back just to get some more recognition...

T-RICH49 01-04-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 1405513)
Both were deserving to be sure, but the Vick/Petrino/rookie QB combination is what put Smith ahead of Sparano. Atlanta had the most toxic environment in the NFL and now they've repaired what damage was done.

agreed.Smith had more then just football issues to deal with when he took over

MetSox17 01-04-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 1405460)
Sporano should have won it. He took a 1-15 team to the same record Smith (who had a 4-12 team, I think) and re-revolutionized today's game with the Wildcat. So many teams tried to copy it, and he brought it back to the league and made it successful. I just think the way Sporano did it and what he inspired on his way is a bit more impressive.

But where the hell was Harbaugh in this? He was just as good as anyone with a less than spectacular offense.

Wait, are you serious?

Mike Smith, Tony Sparano and John Harbaugh were all deserving of this.

GB12 01-04-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen (Post 1405580)
Preseason predictions should have nothing to do with after-season evaluations.

What are you talking about? They have everything to do with it. Mike Smith won coach of the year with a 10-6 team. Why? Because they were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. Tom Coughlin took his team to a 12-4 record and #1 seed but got nothing. Why? Because the Giants were predicted to be good.

Preseason predictions may be the most important factor in determining coach of the year.

CC.SD 01-04-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 1405513)

Bingo. Smith erased Mike Vick, so he wins CotY.

Brent 01-04-2009 04:29 PM

I was shocked that Harbaugh wasn't even in most the discussions when people were talking about this on TV.

Vox Populi 01-04-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB12 (Post 1405989)
What are you talking about? They have everything to do with it. Mike Smith won coach of the year with a 10-6 team. Why? Because they were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. Tom Coughlin took his team to a 12-4 record and #1 seed but got nothing. Why? Because the Giants were predicted to be good.

Preseason predictions may be the most important factor in determining coach of the year.

Which is ********. Just because a team gets better doesn't mean their coach is doing a better job than someone who has been on top of the league for a decade like Belicheck. Its a stupid award and should be called Coach Who Made A Crappy Team Better award, or CWMACPTB Award for short :rolleyes: