Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Romanowski Seeks Denver Job (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28768)

Twiddler 01-09-2009 12:12 PM

Romanowski Seeks Denver Job

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:

DENVER (AP) -- Bill Romanowski has the perfect coaching candidate in mind for the Denver Broncos, a dark horse, somebody out of the blue who's on nobody's radar -- himself.

The former Pro Bowl linebacker who spends his post-playing days running a nutrition company and dabbling in broadcasting and acting told The Associated Press on Thursday night that he's serious about wanting a chance at coaching his old team.

He said he sent Broncos owner Pat Bowlen a lengthy PowerPoint presentation touting his credentials and outlining the fresh ideas he would bring to the job that Mike Shanahan held for 14 seasons before his stunning dismissal last week.

"I can't stop thinking about this," said Romanowski, who played for San Francisco, Philadelphia, Denver and Oakland during a standout 16-year career in the NFL that was marred by a bad temper and his admitted use of THG, the designer steroid at the center of the BALCO scandal.

"This may be a complete fantasy and that's all right ... At the end of the day, nothing may happen from it."

Romanowski has no official NFL coaching experience, just a knowledge from the players' perspective.

"For Pat to do something like this, it would take him being a visionary, thinking outside the box," said Romanowski, whose coaching experience includes helping with his son's football team. "Him hiring me, it's a long shot. I understand that. I know that."
I think this is interesting to say the least. Unlike the rumors surrounding Marshall Faulk a few weeks ago, Romanowski is actually completely serious and public with this. One can only wonder how they are going to be able to turn this down...:rolleyes:

CashmoneyDrew 01-09-2009 12:15 PM

I'd rather have Faulk.

NY+Giants=NYG 01-09-2009 12:16 PM

Seriously I respect players at all levels, but coaching is a different beast. You gotta be good with people, be able to teach, have patience, and be able to control your ego. Not to mention something called coaching experience.

I have more respect for former players who work their way up. My staff went against a former Panthers player who was the HC of his d3 college team. If he has NFL ambitions that is the way to do it.

Xiomera 01-09-2009 12:18 PM

Hire Millen!

TitanHope 01-09-2009 12:38 PM

Didn't he get busted for steriods? Well, he'll certainly turn that DEF in a jiffy then. :D

Xonraider 01-09-2009 12:47 PM

I don't think he is too good with people. He punched someone, which ended his career if I recall correctly

Whistler6 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

I think that they would be able to make several Coors commercials out of Romanowski outtakes after just the first couple weeks of the season..

You think some coaches can make a scene after a loss, imagine Coach Bill roid raging after a last second loss. A vein in his forehead might explode. Great television.

That being said he is an insightful guy who knows what he's talking about. Not the worst candidate.

Geo 01-09-2009 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure this takes the lead so far for Stupidest Thing I've Heard in 2009.

Ridiculous.

SuperKevin 01-09-2009 01:04 PM

I can see it now. Bare Knuckle boxing matches in between passing drills.

Abaddon 01-09-2009 01:04 PM

Sounds like all those supplements fried his brain.

BradysKnee 01-09-2009 02:29 PM

Bill Romanowski is my facebook friend and so I have to stick up for him.

Positives:

He knows how to beat the steroid testing system.
He could assault players who don't play well.
He is a master of the arm breaking technique.
He doesn't like Shannon Sharpe.
He is a good yeller.
It'd be good TV to watch him knock out a kicker after missing the game winning FG.

SuperKevin 01-09-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradysKnee (Post 1418422)
Bill Romanowski is my facebook friend and so I have to stick up for him.

Positives:

He knows how to beat the steroid testing system.
He could assault players who don't play well.
He is a master of the arm breaking technique.
He doesn't like Shannon Sharpe.
He is a good yeller.
It'd be good TV to watch him knock out a kicker after missing the game winning FG.

Your "Bill Romanowski" facebook friend is likely a 22 year old college junior from Northern Colorado.

Paranoidmoonduck 01-09-2009 02:36 PM

Here's hoping that powerpoint presentation makes its way out into the public. I'd love to see it.

MetSox17 01-09-2009 02:54 PM

Romanowski is an idiot. I hate all these players that think because they played for an organization for X amount of years, they can just get one of 32 of the most sought after jobs in the world, without any experience in that area whatsoever. If he were to have gone and been a LB coach, or DC at ANY level before dropping his name, i might have one inkling of consideration thrown his way, but at this point, if i were the GM, i'd just laugh and show him the door.

SuperKevin 01-09-2009 02:56 PM

I swear a lot of people think all it takes is playing experience to be a coach.

The Great Jonathan Vilma 01-09-2009 03:07 PM

His book was a pretty good read....

Menardo75 01-09-2009 03:44 PM

Hire him as the linebacker coach and see how that goes. Same story different former player.

BradysKnee 01-09-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperKevin (Post 1418426)
Your "Bill Romanowski" facebook friend is likely a 22 year old college junior from Northern Colorado.

Obviously. lol.

Romo isn't a moron, hes a smart guy. He's just a dick.

Vikes99ej 01-09-2009 03:51 PM

He was pretty good in "The Longest Yard".

Brodeur 01-09-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes99ej (Post 1418647)
He was pretty good in "The Longest Yard".

Denver should just hire Burt Reynolds.

Bucs_Rule 01-09-2009 06:50 PM

If the players knew the hours that coaches put in most of them wouldn't want the job anymore.

Whistler6 01-09-2009 08:57 PM

If Billy were to coach anywhere, it would have to be the Raiders. No other team would be stupid enough to hire an ex-NFLer just a couple years after he retired. AND was in several fights, busted for roids, has acted in a movie.. I mean if those are his only credentials in the interview, then uhhhh?

Whistler6 01-09-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule (Post 1419025)
If the players knew the hours that coaches put in most of them wouldn't want the job anymore.

exactly. A lot of former players and such coach in high school, but even that is a fraction of the time an NFL coach puts in. It's not a full-time job, it's a lifestyle. Wake up, study film, eat, gameplan, go to the bathroom with your playbook, go to practice, run drills, eat dinner while watching more film, drive home...be a dad and husband...sleep.. repeat.

Hawk 01-09-2009 10:02 PM

He could hire JJ Stokes as WR coach. That would be a nifty tandem.

nrk 01-09-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 1418509)
Romanowski is an idiot. I hate all these players that think because they played for an organization for X amount of years, they can just get one of 32 of the most sought after jobs in the world, without any experience in that area whatsoever. If he were to have gone and been a LB coach, or DC at ANY level before dropping his name, i might have one inkling of consideration thrown his way, but at this point, if i were the GM, i'd just laugh and show him the door.

He said he said he knows it's a long shot and probably knows that he isn't going to get it. Maybe someone will hire him as an assistant coach or such. He'll never know if he doesn't try!