Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First Round Byes Hurting Teams? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28842)

Brooder 01-11-2009 02:38 PM

First Round Byes Hurting Teams?
 
With the Eagles about to score a TD and most likely win the game, at least 3 teams that had byes would have lost. If the Steelers lose, then all teams that had byes would be gone. I really think having a bye week makes the team rusty while the team coming off the playoff win has momentum and the PLAYOFF FEEL already. I would like there to be 4 division champs and 4 wildcards. The Patriots deserved to be in this year and would have been in the system I just mentioned. Also you are not hurting the top 2 seeds, and get they get a chance to have a playoff game under their belt. Look at all the other major sports, no team gets a bye in the first round.

katnip 01-11-2009 02:39 PM

Certainly looks like it... I really hope the Steelers D crush the Chargers.

MetSox17 01-11-2009 02:40 PM

I'm sure if you ask ANY team in the league, they would prefer a two game road to the Superbowl over a three game road every single time.

BradysKnee 01-11-2009 02:46 PM

I don't see how this hurts teams. It gives them time to fine tune things, and more importantly, rest.

I think the losses of the 1st round bye teams recently is more attributable to the competitiveness of the NFL each week.

Sloopy 01-11-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooder (Post 1422948)
With the Eagles about to score a TD and most likely win the game, at least 3 teams that had byes would have lost. If the Steelers lose, then all teams that had byes would be gone. I really think having a bye week makes the team rusty while the team coming off the playoff win has momentum and the PLAYOFF FEEL already. I would like there to be 4 division champs and 4 wildcards. The Patriots deserved to be in this year and would have been in the system I just mentioned. Also you are not hurting the top 2 seeds, and get they get a chance to have a playoff game under their belt. Look at all the other major sports, no team gets a bye in the first round.

In what way do the patriots deserve to be in it this year? You can't use the system you just created as an argument for why they should be there... the Lions deserve to be there if only the "every team makes it" playoff system was in effect. They lost get over it im so tired of hearing Patriot fans in general... when you guys beet everyteam last year during the regular season it was because you where the greatest team of all time but when you dont make it to the playoffs its cus you where cheated very valid points on all accounts.

Mr. Stiller 01-11-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradysKnee (Post 1422982)
I don't see how this hurts teams. It gives them time to fine tune things, and more importantly, rest.

I think the losses of the 1st round bye teams recently is more attributable to the competitiveness of the NFL each week.

I think it's more that when you look at the teams, more Wild Card teams were underrated due to the Playoff schedule.

Brooder 01-11-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia (Post 1422988)
In what way do the patriots deserve to be in it this year? You can't use the system you just created as an argument for why they should be there... the Lions deserve to be there if only the "every team makes it" playoff system was in effect. They lost get over it im so tired of hearing Patriot fans in general... when you guys beet every team last year during the regular season it was because you where the greatest team of all time but when you dont make it to the playoffs its cus you where cheated very valid points on all accounts.

Actually I'm not a Pats fan, I was just using them as an example. Maybe I should put it this way. It doesn't hurt the teams with a bye themselves. It just makes the teams that in the first round EVEN HARDER TO BEAT because of the momentum they have. Isn't like the last 3 Super Bowls were won by non top 2 seeds?

d34ng3l021 01-11-2009 03:16 PM

The chances of winning 3 games on the road against playoff teams is so difficult. Playoff teams tend to do extremely well at home (Zona: 6-2, Atlanta: 7-1, Minny: 6-2, Carolina: 8-0), but I guess the week without playing is hurting them a lot.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 01-11-2009 03:28 PM

yea i still think having a bye week is an advantage. The playoffs is alot of pressure and it comes down to chemistry and being able to pick yourself up after blown coverage or a missed tackle or a bad pass and to make big plays. If you don't have that in you you wont win playoff games. So i dont bye the bye week hurting anything

Twiddler 01-11-2009 03:29 PM

It may very well be hurting them, but I think the teams are much better off than having to play an extra week during the Wild Card.

Bucs_Rule 01-11-2009 03:34 PM

I don't have the figures excatly but I think that teams with a bye have won half the superbowls. If you consider that only 1/3 of teams have byes winning half is a lot better odds than teams without a bye.

Babylon 01-11-2009 03:37 PM

I'd rather have the bye. Teams like the Titans and the Giants to me had problems.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 01-11-2009 03:40 PM

the giants didnt hav burress i think that was the difference. and the titans played as well as you could wish and they just fell short its not like all 3 teams go blown out. just the panthers

Bucs_Rule 01-11-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES (Post 1423319)
the giants didnt hav burress i think that was the difference. and the titans played as well as you could wish and they just fell short its not like all 3 teams go blown out. just the panthers

Oh yeah, losing Burress is a killer. Their is no one you have to respect, you can line up in the box against the run. In the redzone he really helps too. The WR core goes from pretty good to pretty bad. Their is no you have to respect.

Shane P. Hallam 01-11-2009 03:44 PM

They can't go 0-4, can they? :(

Basileus777 01-11-2009 03:46 PM

It's still one less game to win, so I don't think you can say it's a disadvantage.

Bengalsrocket 01-11-2009 03:46 PM

I don't know if I buy that a team gets "rusty" from taking an extra week off. Maybe if you're an especially young team it might affect you to miss a week, but for the most part play off teams are full of veterans, not rookies.


Quote:

I don't have the figures excatly but I think that teams with a bye have won half the superbowls. If you consider that only 1/3 of teams have byes winning half is a lot better odds than teams without a bye.
That's an interesting stat (if true). I'd also be interested in knowing a seed break down of who won the past superbowls (for example, the 6th seed has won the superbowl x% of the time, meanwhile the 5th seed has won the superbowl y% of the time, etc. etc.).

Mr. Stiller 01-11-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket (Post 1423370)
I don't know if I buy that a team gets "rusty" from taking an extra week off. Maybe if you're an especially young team it might affect you to miss a week, but for the most part play off teams are full of veterans, not rookies.




That's an interesting stat (if true). I'd also be interested in knowing a seed break down of who won the past superbowls (for example, the 6th seed has won the superbowl x% of the time, meanwhile the 5th seed has won the superbowl y% of the time, etc. etc.).

Pittsburgh is the only team to win the Superbowl as the 6th seed. 1/43?

Michigan 01-11-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller (Post 1423399)
Pittsburgh is the only team to win the Superbowl as the 6th seed. 1/43?

1/86
AFC & NFC

BlindSite 01-11-2009 05:15 PM

I don't know if it really hurt the Panthers that much last night. Other than the fact that it might have given the coaches too much time to analyse what they wanted to do and prepare the team.

If you've got Williams and Stewart you use them, you don't come out throwing after you run all over the opposition for the first score of the game.

OzTitan 01-11-2009 05:22 PM

This year is an exception. Over history, bye teams have won more. Perhaps because they were a good team to get the bye in the first place and even coming out rusty didn't stop them winning, but regardless the stats don't lie - bye teams usually win in the divisional round.

I'm not sure about the Giants and Panthers, but the Titans weren't rusty really - they moved the ball pretty well at times and played top D except for 2 plays, one of which was an odd outcome (the long pass where both DB's seemed to fall over in decent position). They matched the Ravens blow for blow, they just had some very unfortunate fumbles and lost their #1 offensive player (who was on fire) to a freak injury. The Titans had luck on their side most of the season, but it seemed to run out for the playoff game.

PoopSandwich 01-11-2009 05:34 PM

No way a bye hurts a team, they're just making excuses for why they laid an egg if anything.

BlindSite 01-11-2009 05:40 PM

Making excuses, or providing a reasoned answer.

Ness 01-11-2009 08:04 PM

Like someone else said, I'm sure players and coaches alike would rather play two games to get to the Super Bowl...one definitely at home, instead of potentially three road games. I'd look at the factor of teams going into the playoffs on a hot streak or not. Even if you get a first round bye you could pretty much be limping to that point, like New York did winning one out of it's last four games if I'm not mistaken. Not surprising they lost to a Philadelphia team that has gone 6-1 since McNabb has been benched.

yourfavestoner 01-11-2009 10:25 PM

You have your cause and effect mixed up.

It's not the bye week itself that's hurting these teams. Sports, especially football, is all about getting hot at the right time. The reason why the teams with byes have not been doing too well is because they peaked too early in the season. Every year we have teams that start the year off on an absolute tear, and then taper off towards the end. You never want to be playing your best football in the first half of the season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.