Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers??? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2941)

GiantRutgersFan 03-04-2007 11:18 PM

Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers???

Although I am probably alone on this one, I think Rodgers is gonna be a better player long term.

I dont think either of them will be great, but I think Rodgers is gonna be better.

Alex Smith just kind of doesn't seem like he has it. I think he will be okay, and start for a while but not a franchise QB by any stretch.

I think Rodgers is significantly better and is gonna have a better career by a good margin

What do you think?

RaiderNation 03-04-2007 11:19 PM

rodgers hasnt even started a game. no comparisions until rodgers plays some

MNRunLeft 03-04-2007 11:20 PM

Alex Smith really improved this season, while Rodgers hasn't done anything but hold a clipboard while in the NFL. At this point you can't even start to compaire the two because Rodgers hasn't played.

GiantRutgersFan 03-04-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNRunLeft (Post 189213)
Alex Smith really improved this season, while Rodgers hasn't done anything but hold a clipboard while in the NFL. At this point you can't even start to compaire the two because Rodgers hasn't played.

He has played a little bit.

And you can tell from out of college as well

WMD 03-04-2007 11:23 PM

Alex Smith, most definately.

doingthisinsteadofwork 03-04-2007 11:23 PM

I'll take Rodgers because I liked him better out of college.

DHVF 03-04-2007 11:25 PM

I'll reserve my judgement until Rodgers actually gets a chance to start full time. Saying anything at this point is simply premature.

BLACKnGOLD 03-04-2007 11:35 PM

rodgers has been given virtually no shot so this is a moot topic.

however, alex smith was pretty good last year- his best target was hurt for most of the year, and bryant was suspended for some of the season. He made TONS of progress, but was actually playing on a run oriented team so his numbers weren't going to be huge.

Remember the Seattle game- he rebounded from a bad first half, put his team on his back and came back to win. He is a very good athlete at the position, is still very young, and is a likely franchise caliber qb no doubt.

JC the Savior 03-04-2007 11:57 PM

Smith along with his 49ers are improving fast. They've built a strong young foundation on offense with Smith, Gore, and Davis... and if they are able to bring in a young stud WR to compliment that trio the 49ers offense will be good for a very long time.

Rodgers, although I haven't seen him in the NFL yet, doesn't have a lot of playmakers on the offense. Asides from Driver, the offense is depleted.

WildDude 03-05-2007 12:15 AM

Rodgers, Alex Smiths a waste he just sucks he oughta take his smarts to the bussiness world cause he aint cutting it in football, if it was leinart that got drafted by the 49ers theyd actually be good he seems like hes on the right track with Arizona

16_SFfan_80 03-05-2007 12:18 AM

This is a ******** topic, considering that Rodgers hasn't even played a game yet.

But just for the sake of arguing, Alex Smith will be a better quarterback. Smith will take a huge leap forward this year, now with a better defense and a more developed Vernon Davis.

Aaron Rodgers will be a career backup, and will never do anything noteable in the league.

16_SFfan_80 03-05-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildDude (Post 189328)
Rodgers, Alex Smiths a waste he just sucks he oughta take his smarts to the bussiness world cause he aint cutting it in football, if it was leinart that got drafted by the 49ers theyd actually be good he seems like hes on the right track with Arizona

What an ignorant statement.

Leinart, despite having a ferocious duo of Fitzgerald and Boldin, was statiscally far worse than Alex Smith last season.

Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Leinart. Known fact: the Arizona Cardinals will never accomplish anything ever.

RaiderNation 03-05-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16_SFfan_80 (Post 189338)
What an ignorant statement.

Leinart, despite having a ferocious duo of Fitzgerald and Boldin, was statiscally far worse than Alex Smith last season.

Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Leinart. Known fact: the Arizona Cardinals will never accomplish anything ever.

known fact: alex smith threw 1 td and 11 ints in his first year. leinart will be on another level than alex smith

16_SFfan_80 03-05-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 189369)
known fact: alex smith threw 1 td and 11 ints in his first year. leinart will be on another level than alex smith

Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals and had Brandon Lloyd has his #1 receiver. Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Edgerrin James. Alex could look like a stud with all those weapons as well. It's not that difficult. Leinart is overrated, simply because he went to USC. Clearly a lot of teams recognized his deficiences. That's why he fell in the draft.

DChess 03-05-2007 12:49 AM

smith, although its almost impossible to compare the two when rodgers hasnt started a game

GiantRutgersFan 03-05-2007 12:50 AM

And why does everyone think Vernon Davis is gonna be so great? I think hes gonna be a very good player, but he had a sub par year so you shouldn't be talking like hes a superstar (although he may be at some point)

AS11toFG21 03-05-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan (Post 189376)
And why does everyone think Vernon Davis is gonna be so great? I think hes gonna be a very good player, but he had a sub par year so you shouldn't be talking like hes a superstar (although he may be at some point)

He got hurt. He'll be a Top TE in a few years. Reason being he's a physical freak with a strong desire to be the best in the game.

niel89 03-05-2007 01:00 AM

this a really stupid question because as many have pointed out rodgers hasnt played at all. you can say that well i liked rodgers better our of college because things become very different once you get to the nfl. at this point alex smith is the better player for two reasons 1) he has played. 2) he is visibly progressing.

after he had a terrible 1st year he had a much better 2nd year. once he gets some more weapons such as a true #1 WR then he will IMO get even better. he is young athletic and very smart. at the end of the year in 05 i didnt think that he could ever improve but he has bounced back and really improved a lot

RaiderNation 03-05-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16_SFfan_80 (Post 189372)
Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals and had Brandon Lloyd has his #1 receiver. Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Edgerrin James. Alex could look like a stud with all those weapons as well. It's not that difficult. Leinart is overrated, simply because he went to USC. Clearly a lot of teams recognized his deficiences. That's why he fell in the draft.

so carson palmer is overated because hes a usc qb? no i think have leonard davis at ur LT is pretty bad. lloyd is a good wr but ur right on how leinart has fitz and boldin. also smith BARELY did better than leinart this year even though leinart is a rookie and didnt play every game.

Smith 16 tds 16ints 74.8 rating 16 games
Leinart 11 tds 12 ints 74.0 rating 12 games

PLUS smith had a 1,500+ yard runner in 06 and leinart had barely 1,000 rusher. niners had a better line too

ninerfan 03-05-2007 01:04 AM

Alex by a mile at this stage. He has shown he has the talent and the knowledge to succeed in an improving team.

My concern over Rodgers is that he wont have played a meaningful game in over 3 years if Favre doesnt get hurt this season so really the Packers are no better off than they were in 2005. We still cant say wether Rodgers is any good or not

d34ng3l021 03-05-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninerfan (Post 189390)
Alex by a mile at this stage. He has shown he has the talent and the knowledge to succeed in an improving team.

My concern over Rodgers is that he wont have played a meaningful game in over 3 years if Favre doesnt get hurt this season so really the Packers are no better off than they were in 2005. We still cant say wether Rodgers is any good or not

Same would have been said of Rivers.

Guys sitting on the bench for muliple years and starting later, isnt a bad idea, and QBs like that tend to progress well and seem to surprise people too. Alex Smith was thrown into a fire early (too early, I think) and showed that he was not ready.

Anyway, I think Turner is a massive loss, but I still think Smith can be better. He seems to have it all; the athleticism, smarts, and work ethic. I would like to see what he can do with a solid WRs and a good pass protecting OL.

KCJ58 03-05-2007 01:39 AM

ALEX SMITH no question

AS11toFG21 03-05-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaiderNation (Post 189389)
lloyd is a good wr

No, he's not.

Addict 03-05-2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16_SFfan_80 (Post 189372)
Known facts: Alex played behind a worse O-Line that season than the Arizona Cardinals

I cannot believe you said that.

What's the philosophy, they want to draft Joe Thomas more than anything because he looks good in red?

Caddy 03-05-2007 02:38 AM

Uhh Alex Smith