Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   SARF Flu (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33338)

Mr. Goosemahn 04-27-2009 01:27 AM

SARF Flu
 
So things have gotten pretty ugly in Mexico. The swine flu, which originally was a small virus in Mexico City, has now spread all across the country, had taken 81 lives (minimum), has infected around 1,500, and none of these diagnosed people has been cured.

The virus has also been found in Texas, California, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, and has claimed lives in San Diego, Texas, and around five cities in Mexico.

Here's a map that is updated every couple of minutes, and it shows the locations of people diagnosed with the virus: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,88.330078&z=4

The exact nature of the virus has yet to be identified, and a cure has yet to be created. The World Health Organization has stated that the influenza will be impossible to contain.

In my hometown of San Pedro (right beside Monterrey in northern Mexico), schools have been shut down until further notice. The government has shut down businesses such as discos and cinemas. We can't go to theaters to watch plays. Elections are coming up in July and the majority of political events have been canceled. No crowds are allowed to attend sport events. Those who have tickets get a full refund. Even churches have been closed down and entrance is prohibited by the government.

A woman from my hometown was diagnosed with the virus, and in less than a week she passed away. In a span of five hours, ten new cases appeared, and all show the same symptoms.

I was wondering if any of you know something about the virus, like scientifically. I've tried to look into it, but can't seem to find a lot. The border with the US is supposedly going to close in less than a week, so were practically stranded here. Is anybody here studying to become a doctor or something? I'm searching for medications and treatment for any type of influenza, to use it as precaution. I've looked for things in forums and stuff, by I only find complicated medical lingo that I can't comprehend. The way the disease spreads has not been found out yet, but researchers believe it could be airborne. That's why I want to know if there's some kind of shot or something that I could take.

I really need some help with this. I know it might sound kind of desperate, but things are worsening as each hour goes by and both the government and scientists are keeping everybody in the dark. No progress has been made, and to top things off the World Health Organization recently stated that containing the virus is almost impossible. They have loaned Mexico $200 million dollars to try and find a cure, but that usually takes time. For now, people are using little masks to cover their faces and many people carry anti-bacterial soap.

And as a suggestion to anyone who was thinking of coming to Mexico, don't. This is bound to get worse and you could be seriously affected. Take my word for it, go to some other nice place that's swine flu - free.

So does anyone know anything that might be useful? I'd sincerely appreciate the help.

Brent 04-27-2009 01:43 AM

This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

Caddy 04-27-2009 01:48 AM

I hope I don't get it...

TitanHope 04-27-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn
So things have gotten pretty ugly in Mexico...

In more ways than one, my friend.

To be serious, if someone in your area was diagnosed with it, then you should cook and prepare your own meals, and more importantly eat healthy. Premedicating yourself probably wouldn't help prevent it, as apparently it's not responding to antibiodics. I believe Swine Flu is a combination of a few flu strains, but perhaps get a regular flu shot could be be beneficial.

Also, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer handy as well as wash your hands.

TitanHope 04-27-2009 01:54 AM

Also, as with all viruses, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Or if you have a weak immune system, for whatever reason. So if you're a completely healthy young adult, you have a lesser chance of dying from a virus.

BTW, did anyone choose "Super Disease" in VoodooMonkey's Apocalypse poll? :D

Crickett 04-27-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633083)
To be serious, if someone in your area was diagnosed with it, then you should cook and prepare your own meals, and more importantly eat healthy. Premedicating yourself probably wouldn't help prevent it, as apparently it's not responding to antibiodics. I believe Swine Flu is a combination of a few flu strains, but perhaps get a regular flu shot could be be beneficial.

Also, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer handy as well as wash your hands.

I looked on that google map and someone in my area has been diagnosed with it. Uh oh. :(

TitanHope 04-27-2009 02:10 AM

The Google map cases aren't all confirmed cases. Just cases where the patients exhibited the symptoms. If a person was diagnosed in your area, Crickett, it'd probably be on your local news stations as breaking news and top story.

Most of the cases in the US are in states along the Mexican border, and in people who just returned from a trip to Mexico.

I don't think this is an epidemic on a world-wide scale, but it is very serious for Mexican citizens such as Goosemahn.

steelersfan43 04-27-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1633078)
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

I agree. If 99 % of people died I would start my own country on the olympic peninsula and live in the forest.

Im sick right now though, I hope its not it.

TitanHope 04-27-2009 02:36 AM

Vitamin C is a sick person's best friend, so if you can't get your hands on a basic antibiotic, Vit C and other supplements to help the immune system are excellent.

Cicero 04-27-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelersfan43 (Post 1633100)
I agree. If 99 % of people died I would start my own country on the olympic peninsula and live in the forest.

Im sick right now though, I hope its not it.

Move out to Forks, you'll be fine haha.

fenikz 04-27-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633086)
Also, as with all viruses, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Or if you have a weak immune system, for whatever reason. So if you're a completely healthy young adult, you have a lesser chance of dying from a virus.

BTW, did anyone choose "Super Disease" in VoodooMonkey's Apocalypse poll? :D

yes what do i win?

Crickett 04-27-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633099)
The Google map cases aren't all confirmed cases. Just cases where the patients exhibited the symptoms. If a person was diagnosed in your area, Crickett, it'd probably be on your local news stations as breaking news and top story.

http://wcbstv.com/health/swine.flu.nyc.2.994071.html

Paranoidmoonduck 04-27-2009 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633086)
Also, as with all viruses, young children and the elderly are most vulnerable. Or if you have a weak immune system, for whatever reason. So if you're a completely healthy young adult, you have a lesser chance of dying from a virus.

Actually, if you've been paying attention to how the Swine Flu has been manifesting itself, this is the opposite of the truth. This virus isn't, in itself, all that dangerous. It is, however, triggering an auto-immune response which is trashing people's lungs and killing them. Most of the people who are dying are young adult's who's immune systems are strong enough to have a violent reaction to the virus.

Everyone who's potentially at risk should be careful. Public transportation is a bad idea. Eating out a lot is a bad idea. Be smart. Most of the people on this site fall into the category of people who are at most risk. Good luck out there.

Brothgar 04-27-2009 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1633078)
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.



Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633083)
In more ways than one, my friend.

To be serious, if someone in your area was diagnosed with it, then you should cook and prepare your own meals, and more importantly eat healthy. Premedicating yourself probably wouldn't help prevent it, as apparently it's not responding to antibiodics. I believe Swine Flu is a combination of a few flu strains, but perhaps get a regular flu shot could be be beneficial.

Also, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer handy as well as wash your hands.

If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a viral infection they should have their licenses revoked. You can't fight a viral infection with a drug meant for bacteria. Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.

TitanHope 04-27-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223
If a doctor prescribes antibiotics for a viral infection they should have their licenses revoked. You can't fight a viral infection with a drug meant for bacteria.

You're absolutely right. Dumb moment on my part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Actually, if you've been paying attention to how the Swine Flu has been manifesting itself, this is the opposite of the truth. This virus isn't, in itself, all that dangerous. It is, however, triggering an auto-immune response which is trashing people's lungs and killing them. Most of the people who are dying are young adult's who's immune systems are strong enough to have a violent reaction to the virus.

Everyone who's potentially at risk should be careful. Public transportation is a bad idea. Eating out a lot is a bad idea. Be smart. Most of the people on this site fall into the category of people who are at most risk. Good luck out there.

I haven't been keeping up with it at all.

CJSchneider 04-27-2009 08:07 AM

I'm telling these guys to "Bring it on"


tjsunstein 04-27-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 1633110)
Vitamin C is a sick person's best friend, so if you can't get your hands on a basic antibiotic, Vit C and other supplements to help the immune system are excellent.

This is a theory not back by any scientific evidence by the way. Anyone can put something on a supplement bottle since there is no supervision of it.

CashmoneyDrew 04-27-2009 10:47 AM

**** I'm screwed. I eat out A LOT. Guess I had to learn to use this Foreman grill sometime.

tjsunstein 04-27-2009 10:50 AM

Is it ignorant of me to say I'm not scared? I did say I would never have mono a while back and did come up with that. Time will tell.

Brent 04-27-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 1633131)
Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.

I'm aware. Not like we're doing this place a whole lot of good any way.

Addict 04-27-2009 11:28 AM

damn, we better get that black hole machine in Switzerland going ASAP, because global pandemic isn't half as sexy as getting consumed by a black hole we accidentally created ourselves.

Shahin 04-27-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1633078)
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

what a bitchass thing to say.

Quote:

I'm aware. Not like we're doing this place a whole lot of good any way.
another bitchass thing to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by addict
damn, we better get that black hole machine in Switzerland going ASAP, because global pandemic isn't half as sexy as getting consumed by a black hole we accidentally created ourselves.

there we go.

Philliez01 04-27-2009 12:21 PM

Save Susan Boyle.

steelersfan43 04-27-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1633078)
This is just another media hyped ******** story. Remember Avian flu? SARS? [Insert random outbreak scare]?

You know what, I hope it's real. As a species we could use a bottle-necking event and this is just what's called for.

I agree. If 99 % of people died I would start my own country on the olympic peninsula and live in the forest.

Im sick right now though, I hope its not it.

steelersfan43 04-27-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broth223 (Post 1633131)
Brent, bottle necking is never good for a species it tends to improve chances for extinction.


Exceeding the environments carrying capacity seems to be a lot worse..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.