Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Jets Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454)

derza222 04-29-2009 10:28 PM

2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion
 
Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010? Any players that you like or think would be good fits?

Hurricanes25 04-30-2009 07:32 PM

Here are some guys that I am keeping my eye on.

WR
Damian Williams /USC
Dez Bryant /Oklahoma State
Arrelious Benn /Illinois
Marshawn Gilyard /Cincinatti

DE
Carlos Dunlap /Florida
Gerald McCoy /Oklahoma
Arthur Jones /Syracuse
Marvin Austin /North Carolina
Lawrence Marsh /Florida
Allen Bailey/ Miami

NT
Terrance Cody /Alabama
Boo Robinson /Wake Forest

***All of these guys above have a chance at the first round.
I also think that we will need a blocking TE, and a RT.

Crickett 04-30-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derza222 (Post 1638557)
Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010?

I think its very likely that the Jets are going to look at guard, defensive end and cornerback in the 2010 draft. Guard and defensive end, its pretty much the same story. Quality starter who is getting older. I'd combine that with Marques Douglas not really being anything more than marginal as a starter.

Lito Sheppard, I don't think he'll be a Jet more than one year. Even if he does do very well (which is what I'm expecting), IIRC, he will be owed 9 million dollars if the Jets retain him and the compensation owed to the Eagles will be bumped up to a second rounder.

thetedginnshow 04-30-2009 09:42 PM

Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.

derza222 04-30-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow (Post 1639986)
Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.

Why Selvie? Not sure if safety is going to be a huge need, I think corner will be a bigger one as Crickett pointed out, but Eric Berry is ridiculous. If he's on the board I wouldn't care if we were 4 deep at safety, I'd have no issue picking him.

Also curious why you're limiting it to LaFell. He would definitely be a great fit, but there seem to be so many other good players available. Dez Bryant can run after the catch and also go up and get the ball. Seems like he'd be a fantastic target for a young QB. Benn seems like a physical guy that we may want to use. And then Sanchez has some chemistry with Damian Williams, plus he seems to be pretty solid after the catch. All four besides Williams seem to be very physical guys, I think Bryant can do the most things but that's just my opinion. A case can be made for any of them though. I hope we land somebody, and I like LaFell, but just wondering why you limited it to him.

I love the 3-4 end class. Think we can get a great guy in the first depending on where we are, but we can also get a very good player in the second round which is nice. The value at that position seems like it will be pretty well spread out through the first two rounds. McCoy, Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Jones...lots of guys to choose from there. And Dunlap seems to be mostly potential at this point, but I bet Rex could do some incredible things with him.

Definitely think we'll have to look offensive line relatively early. Don't know if it's going to be a guard or a tackle, since if we draft a tackle we can always move Woody inside. Could be both.

Nose tackle deserves a look as well. I really like Boo Robinson. Cody obviously could be an option as well, really depends how Jenks holds up this season.

I think Crickett makes a great point about corner being something that gets a look. Put it perfectly and I think it definitely ends up being a strong possibility.

thetedginnshow 04-30-2009 11:29 PM

Just going by what I think is their criteria. We have a whole year so I'll talk about it a little more a little later. :P

thetedginnshow 05-01-2009 02:19 AM

Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.

Nj. 05-04-2009 03:56 PM

JERMAINE GRESHAM

He is my favorite prospect coming out next season, he is just an absolute animal, its as if Lebron played football

derza222 11-15-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow (Post 1640595)
Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.

You know, back in May I found this strange, particularly the idea that an OLB would be an option in the first round. Now I don't think we take any of the other guys you mentioned in the first, but Hughes is interesting. At this point I definitely think OLB will be considered if the value is right at this point just so the D can get some good pressure without blitzing and convert more when they do. Obviously DL would help there but thos guys usually aren't going to be the ones who get to the QB.

SenorGato 11-20-2009 02:32 AM

You know what I'd love to happen?

Romeus (I think he comes out) and Oghobaase in 1 and 2.

derza222 11-29-2009 09:22 PM

Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.

Hurricanes25 11-29-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derza222 (Post 1900140)
Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.

I actually agree with you. Our return game needs some sort of a boost and I think there are a few players who we can get in round 2 that can start on either offense or defense and special teams.

With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

derza222 11-29-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 1900152)
With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.

Hurricanes25 11-29-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derza222 (Post 1900211)
Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.

Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.

derza222 11-29-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 1900222)
Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.

I'd have no problem whatsoever with an OLB in round 1, and there will be a lot of options there. Still a concern at NT as well though which probably should be addressed one way or another. Plus some youth could be used on the DL also so I hope at least a selection is made there.

derza222 12-08-2009 06:39 PM

I already asked about Cody, but what are everyone's thoughts on two other SEC guys: Joe Haden and Dan Williams?

katnip 12-20-2009 11:48 AM

Don't know about those 3 guys (derza222) mentioned.. "Canes fan.. But, is Allen Bailey a 2nd round prospect who could be a DE for us? To me he has the prototypical 34 DE body. Plus Isn't Shaun Ellis only in the 280's? Yea 6-5/285 (on espn).. Bailey's listed on rivals 6-4/288

And I know size isn't exactly everything.

Hurricanes25 12-20-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katnip (Post 1931879)
Don't know about those 3 guys (derza222) mentioned.. "Canes fan.. But, is Allen Bailey a 2nd round prospect who could be a DE for us? To me he has the prototypical 34 DE body. Plus Isn't Shaun Ellis only in the 280's? Yea 6-5/285 (on espn).. Bailey's listed on rivals 6-4/288

And I know size isn't exactly everything.

Bailey would be a perfect fit in our sheme. Right now he is a borderline 1st round pick. But he is going to tear up the combine and shoot up draft boards which will make him a first round pick. If he does declare, we will most likely have to take him in the 1st.

okay123 12-24-2009 07:49 PM

There are a lot of things that need to be cleared up before talking about which positions we need to start drafting (will we resign lito/braylon/TJ/leon? are we going to trade rhodes? is richardson going to retire? etc.), but right now, i think we should be focusing on getting younger at the defensive line, picking up a pass rusher at OLB, and finding eventual replacements for faneca and woody. right now, i would be happy taking a DE, NT, or OLB in the 1st round. i know we guys like pouha and devito have stepped up this year, but i'd feel more comfortable if we upgraded there, and i'm a big believer in having a lot of defensive line depth. also, i have officially given up on gholston. even if he does show some type of improvement, there is no way he becomes a 10+ sack a season kind of guy. i think we need a guy like that to make our defense even better. it would allow rex to do a lot more with the blitzing packages as well. so a guy like jerry hughes or brandon graham in the 1st would be fine by me.

BuffaloBillsFan 12-25-2009 04:41 PM

I'm going to cry if you guys land Golden Tate.

Hurricanes25 01-02-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBillsFan (Post 1938823)
I'm going to cry if you guys land Golden Tate.

I would say that there is a strong possibility of the Jets taking Tate. Our passing game has been terrible and Im sure they want somebody who will help Sanchez and be able to stretch the field. You may be crying on draft day.

Hurricanes25 01-02-2010 07:55 PM

The Bills are expected to interview Schottenheimer for their head coaching job. For the sake of our offense, I hope he gets offered the job and hopefully he takes it.

Edit: Wrong thread. Sorry.

BroadwayJoe10 01-10-2010 02:19 AM

If Rex gets his hands on an actual pass rusher, someone who can allow Rex to put pressure on the QB without blitzing, this defense will be scary good. If Gholston could play like Brian Orakpo, our defense would be just that much better... I love me some Golden Tate or Shipley, but a pass rusher would be ideal. Also, another CB and DE would be nice.

I love how Pouha, Devito, Douglas and Green have stepped up. Gives us a little more leverage with our draft.

hcbrad08 01-21-2010 12:14 PM

I know AFC championship game is on all our minds and the draft can really wait, but I just had some crazy thoughts recently...

Considering that next season is uncapped and we have some aging money on our roster. While 2010 will probably be an uncapped season and we are in the final four meaning we can only sign as many free agents as we lose we might have to make some crafty/borderline psycho roster moves to take our team to an elite level. These are just some of the paths I believe we should CONSIDER

TRADE:
Thomas Jones
Kerry Rhodes
1st 2010 1st Rounder

to

Cleveland for the 3rd pick overall

This is a pretty intense and risky move but one of the biggest risks with picking at the top of the draft is the money you have to invest in a rookie mainly the HUGE bonus. This year Suh and Berry will likely be sitting around 3.
If we could take either we would improve our team tremendously and get so much younger. I think the Cleveland element is realistic as we all know because they are sooo bad and have so many holes to fill they would get 3 players TJ, KR and whoever they take at 32 (yea I said it) to help them and the older contract wont hurt them in an uncapped year. Just a spit ball bc I dont like the depth at some positions in this years draft so it MAY be worth going after some top heavy talent. Just imagine, Suh, Jenkins and Ellis with Pouha,Douglas, Green and DeVito backing them up. That line would allow us to do even more blitz packages that Revis helps with now. And in a Berry Scenario, Ryan gets Ed Reeds CLONE in Berry to play beside the vet and scrappy Leonhard. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

STOCK PILE
Another option could be to stock pile some picks by trading TJ and Kerry in the uncapped season. We could target depth needs at DL, WR, ILB, S, and OL. I wouldn't mind grabbing a later 1st or a couple of 2nds or a combo of 2nds 3rds and mids to see a good team stay deep to truly prolong the success Rex believes we will have for years to come.

but in order to really prolong our success

RESTRUCTURING
I would like to see the Jets restructure some contracts that will be coming due like Brick (2012), Mangold (2011), Harris (2011). I'd like to see the Jets take advantage of an uncapped year and restructure and EXTEND contracts frontloading money to the uncapped year so we can keep our core of young players together for longer. Im not sure if there will be rules against this but its definitely worth a shot.

Draft Needs (for depth or other reasons) as I see it in no REAL order but close to something

DE
WR
RT
ILB
CB
FS
DT
RB
OG
FB

Players I'm looking at draft and free agency:

Braylon Edwards: Need to give him a full season-great run blocker and has size. Has to stop drops for long term deal.

Chad Pennington: His career is probably over, BUT wouldn't it be perfect to have a vet come in not really so much as a backup but as a tutor to aid Sanchez and Schotty in developing the offense and Sanchez studying skills. He's a smart guy who could help in the film room almost as another coach and provide a security blanket and some experience to a QB group that now outside of Sanchez lacks any starting experience (Clemens is gone as a FA). Also Chad retires as a Jet; he stil has a lot of ties to the community with the 1st and 10 foundation and he wont likely have many suitors should he decide to return. Unless a BAD team allows him to start I think this is his and our best BACKUP option.

Terrence Cody
Corey Wooton
Mike Neal
Myron Lewis
Golden Tate
Mike Williams
Taylor Price
Jacoby Ford
Toby Gerhart
Ryan D'Imperio
AJ Edds

Lemme know when you guys get a chance to look at this...in between now and when we win the SB...Hey if Rex says it so will I. God I love that MAN

ALSO:

check out the Kissing Suzy Kolber site for the Rex Ryan mock conversations and pep talks to the team absolutely PRICELESS. He probably has said things similar, just unreal.

thegiantcountdown 01-21-2010 04:43 PM

I just watched what Al Trautwig thinks will happen in the Jets vs. the Colts upcoming game! Check it outů.http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2010/01/...wn-jets-colts/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.