Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Philosophy thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33519)

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 11:55 AM

Philosophy thread

I'm guessing since at least a good third of the board is in college, or has graduated college, it would be interesting to see how many people read, or are interested in philosophy.

See the poll above to give your input. Obviously 10 is a pretty limited # of theorists to choose from, but I tried to think of the heavy hitters.

Xonraider 05-02-2009 12:05 PM

what poll?

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 12:21 PM

Give me a second hoss.

Also, sorry to leave out any eastern theorists, or most religion, but that's a bag of worms to itself.

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 12:25 PM

I vote post-structuralism. There is no objective truth. Everything is created through discourse. All things are fluid. The individual's sense of self is illusory. Perception creates reality.

Ya dig?

Addict 05-02-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 1642244)
I vote post-structuralism. There is no objective truth. Everything is created through discourse. All things are fluid. The individual's sense of self is illusory. Perception creates reality.

Ya dig?

my second favourite. I was really torn between Post-Structuralism (gotta love Nietszche, right?), but in the end I picked rationalism. But it's really close for me.

A Perfect Score 05-02-2009 12:29 PM

We were actually having a great philosophy discussion in IRC the other day. I was telling Brent how my favorite philosopher is Machiavelli, and Brent called him a warmonger. People these days! But yes, of the options given, I've got to go with Existentialism, with Post Modernism a close second.

dabears10 05-02-2009 12:30 PM

I went with social contract philosophy. Not because I think it makes the most sense but because it is the most interesting to me at this time.

Personally the most interesting part of philosophy discussion and in of itself is what philosophy has become and what can be defined as. Often trying to define the undefined while in my opinion being undefinable.

Addict 05-02-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 1642250)
We were actually having a great philosophy discussion in IRC the other day. I was telling Brent how my favorite philosopher is Machiavelli, and Brent called him a warmonger. People these days! But yes, of the options given, I've got to go with Existentialism, with Post Modernism a close second.

Macchiavelli was awesome. Even if he was a bit of a warmonger from time to time.

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Machiavelli was anything but a warmonger. The whole point is to establish stability in society and thus decrease the likelyhood of rebellion.

A dick? Sure. But not a warmonger.

I considered putting him up there with the rational humanists, but he's a bit different in comparison to More and Erasmus.

Gay Ork Wang 05-02-2009 12:35 PM

Plato and Aristotle were totally awesome. I think Kant said a lot of useless stuff.

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1642257)
Plato and Aristotle were totally awesome. I think Kant said a lot of useless stuff.

It depends on what you define as useless. Obviously Aristotle was wrong on about 99.9% of what he said (ie: people are made up of humors), but considering his period and what he had to work with, it's mighty impressive.

Kant was a piggy-backer to the Enlightenment. After the French Revolution he was discredited for a while, but most of the "rationalism" he espoused is still widely accepted today.

A Perfect Score 05-02-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 1642256)
Machiavelli was anything but a warmonger. The whole point is to establish stability in society and thus decrease the likelyhood of rebellion.

A dick? Sure. But not a warmonger.

I considered putting him up there with the rational humanists, but he's a bit different in comparison to More and Erasmus.

Again, thats what I was telling Brent, he wasnt a warmonger, he was an advocate of actually getting something done. He didnt dick around, he saw what he thought society should be and this was the way to go about getting to that point. If there was bloodshed, fine. But yes, I've read The Prince multiple times and he is my favorite philosopher to read. He had a very unique take on the world, and thats refreshing at times I find.

Brent 05-02-2009 12:39 PM

It's definitely Ancient Philosophy for me. Socrates (through accounts), Plato and Aristotle, make up a large bulk of what I read in my rhetoric classes and I loved it. Locke had a lot of ideas I agreed with, and Kant was pretty awesome as well. Admittedly, I think the one who I share a lot of views with is probably Marx and Hegel.

Quote:

Brent called him a warmonger

I did?

yourfavestoner 05-02-2009 12:40 PM

Definitely, rationalism. Voltaire FTW.

ATLDirtyBirds 05-02-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 1642263)
Again, thats what I was telling Brent, he wasnt a warmonger, he was an advocate of actually getting something done. He didnt dick around, he saw what he thought society should be and this was the way to go about getting to that point. If there was bloodshed, fine. But yes, I've read The Prince multiple times and he is my favorite philosopher to read. He had a very unique take on the world, and thats refreshing at times I find.

I quite enjoy the Prince/Machiavelli myself. Of these, I'd say Rationalism.

Gay Ork Wang 05-02-2009 12:43 PM

im not quite sure, but Kant said a lot of weird stuff that was basically wrong lol.

the ones that come to my mind are "What is Enlightenment" and his idea of war and such

A Perfect Score 05-02-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1642266)
It's definitely Ancient Philosophy for me. Socrates (through accounts), Plato and Aristotle, make up a large bulk of what I read in my rhetoric classes and I loved it. Locke had a lot of ideas I agreed with, and Kant was pretty awesome as well. Admittedly, I think the one who I share a lot of views with is probably Marx and Hegel.

I did?

You most certainly did you drunk bastard.

Brent 05-02-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 1642275)
You most certainly did you drunk bastard.

Yikes. Well, I was probably over-exaggerating my views. As was said above, he wanted to get **** done and prevent rebellion. I suppose "warmonger" wasnt the best choice. I would say ruthless was a trait he advocated. I'm more of the type that thinks we can solve all problems with discourse but some resort to violence, which is ridiculous.

Gay Ork Wang 05-02-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1642281)
Yikes. Well, I was probably over-exaggerating my views. As was said above, he wanted to get **** done and prevent rebellion. I suppose "warmonger" wasnt the best choice. I would say ruthless was a trait he advocated. I'm more of the type that thinks we can solve all problems with discourse but some resort to violence, which is ridiculous.

id agree with that statement

bearsfan_51 05-02-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1642274)
im not quite sure, but Kant said a lot of weird stuff that was basically wrong lol.

I'm just guessing, but I would bet that Kant and Rationalism is especially denegrated in Germany post-Holocaust.

Americans tend to have a much more positive outlook on Rationalism, in part because they didn't suffer from a lot of its negative aspects in nearly the same way.

Gay Ork Wang 05-02-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 1642288)
I'm just guessing, but I would bet that Kant and Rationalism is especially denegrated in Germany post-Holocaust.

Americans tend to have a much more positive outlook on Rationalism, in part because they didn't suffer from a lot of its negative aspects in nearly the same way.

nah its not about Rationalism, just Kant. I havent read enough of Voltaire or Descartes. im 18 after all. but the stuff we read from Kant were kinda weird and not really right lol.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 05-02-2009 12:58 PM

Existentialism is where it's at.

Addict 05-02-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1642291)
nah its not about Rationalism, just Kant. I havent read enough of Voltaire or Descartes. im 18 after all. but the stuff we read from Kant were kinda weird and not really right lol.

Kannt did have a pretty skewed view of the world, but that's mainly due to the fact that he not once in his life left his home town. All he knew of the world was what travellers and explorers who visited him, told him. With any philosopher, taking the circumstances around which they formulated their ideas into account is very important.

Gay Ork Wang 05-02-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addict (Post 1642331)
Kannt did have a pretty skewed view of the world, but that's mainly due to the fact that he not once in his life left his home town. All he knew of the world was what travellers and explorers who visited him, told him. With any philosopher, taking the circumstances around which they formulated their ideas into account is very important.

yea but his "what is enlightenment" thesis was bullcrap

Xiomera 05-02-2009 01:29 PM

I'm a fan of this philosophy stuff. Some of it is fascinating.

There were many good poll options, but I have a particular appreciation for the Ancient Greeks since they were philosophizing (yes, I've made it a word) before modern science and were essentially theorizing things for the first time, not building off of the work of others.

Nietzche is a close second.