Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   What do you love/ hate about your hometown? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33723)

vikes_28 05-11-2009 08:47 AM

What do you love/ hate about your hometown?

Okay, I haven't seen a thread like this anywhere.

In this thread talk about what you hate or love about your city that you live in.

I'll start. I live in Sioux Falls. And the reason why it is so awesome is because when we get a real snow storm about once every three years. Where we have to cancel school on account of so much snow. The reason I say that is because, South Dakota's second largest city, Rapid City, gets out of school June 14th and they were supposed to be out on the 31st of May...

Something I hate about Sioux Falls is that there are too many packers fans (even though the packers fans think the other way around).

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 08:55 AM

Love
I can buy Alcohol everywhere

Hate
everyone speaks German

TitleTown088 05-11-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_29 (Post 1656606)
Something I hate about Sioux Falls is that there are too many packers fans (even though the packers fans think the other way around).

I wonder who that is...

Sioux Falls has many more Viking fans than Packer fans, that's a fact.

The thing I like about Sioux Falls is how clean it is. Essentially like one big suburb.

Something I hate... The bars there suck and people are allowed to smoke at the bars. Also, too many small town Dbags with afflictions T shirts and pimped out hondas.

stephenson86 05-11-2009 09:19 AM

i live in manchester england, good things. i live in a very nice village, however im knowhere near football merchandise :(

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson86 (Post 1656625)
i live in manchester england, good things. i live in a very nice village, however im knowhere near football merchandise :(

damn ur from europe too?

Yatta! 05-11-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenson86 (Post 1656625)

Seriously? Didn't think you were from Europe?

I live in Manchester too.

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 09:31 AM

id love to have like at least 1 other football fan around here :/

princefielder28 05-11-2009 09:34 AM

Love ::

Hate ::
Paper Mills

CJSchneider 05-11-2009 09:39 AM

Well, my hometown is back in CA., so I'll just talk about the city I currently live in.

Love: It still has a somewhat small town feel, and is a great place to raise my kids.

Hate: The school system in Bossier City, where I live, is much different then where I teach, Shreveport. Bossier City seems to operate under the "Good 'Ol Boy" system. Since my wife nor I am from here, we may never be able to switch up and teach here, which we would like to do to be closer to our kids. I've seen teaching positions go to people who were less qualified because they "attended that school as a child". It makes me sick.

Brent 05-11-2009 10:39 AM

Well, I kind of identify with two cities as my hometown. So, I'll talk about both.

Texas
Hate: You cannot buy liquor in city limits, only beer and wine. There isnt any thing to do because it's a little suburb. You have to drive to other towns/downtown to do any thing. There are cops every where, but never where they are needed. You see cops all the time but they are patrolling for kids. They could care less that adults are going 10 miles over the speed limit on roads near schools. They just want to bust that kid for going 3 miles over near the high school. Oh, and every thing closes at like 9 on weekdays and 10 on weekends, except the beer and wine stores.
Like: You can walk any where in town, even at night, and never have to worry about your own safety.

California
Hate: It's a town which is no where near any major city. Rich yuppies from Silicon Valley are moving out there because they can build big houses for cheap because you get a sweet mountain view, even though it's driving up property taxes. It's a generally low-educated populace, as UC-Chico is the biggest 4-year college in the area.
Like: You can ski/snowboard any day that the park is open. Mt Shasta is not that far and you're 3 hours from the coast.

drowe 05-11-2009 11:27 AM

I love in Green Bay

I love the fact that I have all the advantages of living in a big city, but none of the disadvantages. Traffic isn't an issue. Crime isn't much of an issue. but, we still have a professional sports team, and plenty of good bars and restaurants.

But, the people can be kinda dumb.

also, Prince, do you work for Georgia Pacific?

Addict 05-11-2009 11:42 AM

I live in a town called Aalsmeer. Look it up on google maps if you want to know where it is.

Like: my first school was only 100 yards from my house. when I was a kid everyone was pretty much my age, so always plenty of playmates. Not much traffic.

Dislike: boy where do I start? it's small, there's absolutely nothing here shop-wise. The town is too close to amsterdam, so all the stores and shops go there instead. Even though Amsterdam is 20 miles away it takes an hour to get there (public transport sucks). Most people here are simpletons. It's pretty deserted around here. I hate this town. I really, really hate this town. There's so many things wrong with this place I can't even put it down in words. Let me put it this way: if you were to come here happy and smiling, stayed here for 20 years, you'd leave clinically depressed.

princefielder28 05-11-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drowe (Post 1656680)
I love in Green Bay

I love the fact that I have all the advantages of living in a big city, but none of the disadvantages. Traffic isn't an issue. Crime isn't much of an issue. but, we still have a professional sports team, and plenty of good bars and restaurants.

But, the people can be kinda dumb.

also, Prince, do you work for Georgia Pacific?

No but my father does. His work is a constant reminder for me to do well in school so I can get a quality education and eventually a well paying, enjoyable job so I don't get stuck having to settle working at some place like a mill.

I love how everything is easy to go to in Green Bay as well. If I need anything I can just head down to the Bay Park Square area and I am likely to find it.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES 05-11-2009 12:34 PM

Baltimore love=

Baltimore Hate=

eaglesalltheway 05-11-2009 12:37 PM

I live in Emmaus, PA, a suburb of Allentown, which you can see on maps in Eastern PA near NJ.

Like: Not overly crazy, real laid back place with laid back people. The mayor is a friend of my family. Schools are great for education, rated #2 in PA about 5 years ago IIRC. Relatively safe with lots of places to go fishing. Within driving distance to New York City, Philly, and the Jersey shore, if you plan on going. You generally don't have to worry about being in danger from mother nature, but every once in a while there is an awesome blizzard.

Hate: Not much to do for a social scene. Me and my buddies usually make a littel fire and just chill at night when the weather is nice. (I like that, but not many do) It get really humid, and that sucks. Really though, that is it, i like where I live pretty much, actually.

slightlyaraiderfan 05-11-2009 12:39 PM

Los Angeles - Love: diverse city, endless options, great music scene. Hate: traffic.

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan (Post 1656721)
Los Angeles - Love: diverse city, endless options, great music scene. Hate: sarf flu.

fixed it for you

UKfan 05-11-2009 12:53 PM

Like Brent, I associate 2 places with home.

Leicester:
Like: Big city, lots to do, lots of people my age
Dislike: Lots of idiots

Gloucester:
Like: Chilled out atmosphere, good people, reasonably large city nearby
Dislike: Less to do

Hines 05-11-2009 12:58 PM

Peoria, AZ

Love: Nice neighborhood. Places are expanding and getting more stores and malls.

Hate: The heat. Other things.

'cuse-213 05-11-2009 01:09 PM

Syracuse New york:

Love- There is a lot of stuff to do. Food, Bars, Golf, Sport games, you can find anything withthin about 20 minutes.

Hate- Weather. Its unpredictable and usually crappy. I literally went outside to catch some sun on the same day it snowed. And the summers are humid.

ChezPower4 05-11-2009 01:10 PM

Things I love about Chicago- The night life, I never run out of things to do, The Cubs and the beach.

Things I hate about Chicago- It's too damn cold in the winter, traffic and the roads are awful

M.O.T.H. 05-11-2009 01:10 PM

Nothing to love, really...except my friends. Love the people but, this place is freaking boring. As for the location of my house itself, I'd say the only real benefit is that I am 5 steps away from a basketball court so, I'll always be able to play some games or just shoot around when bored. I do play everyday....so, there is that.

terribletowel39 05-11-2009 01:15 PM

Hometown growing up, Ringgold, LA.

good things: not much trouble, very small town (population: 1600), close community

bad things: one stoplight, absolutely nothing to do but be country. nothing. and not really close to anything substantial either.

Since then, Dallas, TX.

good things: you can't really run out of things to do, awesome music scene with Austin and UNT being so close, money, and the walmart closest to my house might have been the cleaniest place i have ever been in.

bad things: traffic....oh my goodness. the fact that it takes an hour to get just about anywhere. and prices of things.

Matthew Jones 05-11-2009 01:15 PM

I live in some suburb in Connecticut.

Good - uh...drawing blanks here.

Bad - everything else.

YAYareaRB 05-11-2009 01:22 PM

I associate two spots as home as well.

Laie, HI:
Love - Everything. I love my family and I consider the whole town my family. It's a little town. Very country. Probably one of the last "Country" spots on the island of Oahu.

Hate - Nothing much to do there, as far as jobs are concerned. No opportunities.

Marina, CA:
Love - Nothing really. My friends.

Hate - Everything. Boring. Wannabe gangsters. Everyone knows me.