Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Babies Switched At Birth (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33738)

Nalej 05-12-2009 07:44 AM

Babies Switched At Birth

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_switched_at_birth

HEPPNER, Ore. On a spring day in 1953, two baby girls were born at Pioneer Memorial Hospital in eastern Oregon. They grew up happily, got married, had kids of their own and became grandparents. Then last summer their lives were turned upside down.

Kay Rene Reed Qualls found out that she and DeeAnn Angell Shafer were switched at birth.

They recently met for the first time and underwent DNA tests after a woman who knew both their mothers called Qualls' brother with her suspicion.

Qualls' brother, Bobby Reed, said the 86-year-old woman knew his mother and had also lived next door to the Angell family.

"She said she had something she had to get off her chest," he told the East Oregonian newspaper in a story published Monday.

The woman, whom he declined to identify by name, told him that his mother, Marjorie Angell, had insisted back in 1953 she had been given the wrong baby after the nurses returned from bathing the two newborns, but her concerns were brushed off.

The woman showed Bobby Reed a photo.

"It looked like Kay Rene in about 7th or 8th grade," he said.

But it wasn't. It was DeeAnn Shafer's sister.

"Kay Rene is not a Reed," the woman insisted. "DeeAnn is a Reed."

Bobby Reed was stunned, learning later that rumors of a mix-up had been around for years. In early February, Shafer learned the truth in a telephone call from her sister, Juanita.

"Do you remember those rumors of being switched at birth?" she asked, and went on to provide the update.

"Does this mean I'm not invited to the family reunion?" Shafer joked.

Qualls, Bobby Reed and one of their sisters met Shafer at a Kennewick, Wash., clinic last month for DNA testing. A week later, Qualls got the results, learning her likely probability of being related to her brother and sister was zero.

"I cried," she said. "I wanted to be a Reed my life wasn't my life."

Shafer's DNA report said she had 99.9 percent of being related to Bobby and Dorothy Reed. Now living in Richland, Wash., Shafer said the report only confirmed what she knew after meeting Qualls.

"After seeing Kay Rene, I went home and told my husband, I don't know why she's doing the DNA testing," she said. "I was shocked she looked just like my sister's twin."

Pioneer Memorial Hospital offered to pay for counseling, but both women declined.

The two have become friends and celebrated their May 3 birthday together. Recently, Qualls introduced Shafer to her work colleagues, calling her "my swister."

"I'm trying to move forward at look at the positive," Shafer said. "You can't look back. It just drives you crazy."

tjsunstein 05-12-2009 07:58 AM

My sister was probably switched at birth. The first time they brought a baby back to my mom, they brought a boy so there's a good chance.

Gay Ork Wang 05-12-2009 08:39 AM

i dont quite think its thaaat much of a difference

Addict 05-12-2009 08:54 AM

she cried? because what? Her identity, her life, her family all revolves around something as trivial as a last name? DNA? Come on now. Both these women were raised by parents who legitimately believed they were their own.

I'm finding it very very hard to bring up any kind of sympathy here. I don't see the problem. They're still their family, even though genetics say otherwise. They raised, loved and cared for them: that's what makes family. Not your blood.

vikes_28 05-12-2009 08:58 AM

Yeah i agree with you addict.

Gay Ork Wang 05-12-2009 10:05 AM

ha thats what i meant. I <3 Addict :D

Addict 05-12-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_29 (Post 1657978)
Yeah i agree with you addict.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1658037)
ha thats what i meant. I <3 Addict :D

hush you guys, you're making me blush and look all girly and stuff

brat316 05-12-2009 10:11 AM

Only if one ended up in a ****** situation then it would have been something.

Who cares now, like Addict says they are fine

brat316 05-12-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

"I cried," she said. "I wanted to be a Reed — my life wasn't my life."

Shafer's DNA report said she had 99.9 percent of being related to Bobby and Dorothy Reed. Now living in Richland, Wash., Shafer said the report only confirmed what she knew after meeting Qualls.

"After seeing Kay Rene, I went home and told my husband, I don't know why she's doing the DNA testing," she said. "I was shocked — she looked just like my sister's twin."
Wouldn't this be some ****, since they apparently look the same ...if the ones dad, had sex with both of their moms. They were neighbors, and what if one of the fathers was sterile so he paid the other dad to have sex with his wife.

Edit: side note, what if both the dads then ended up being sterile and the brother was made by another man....

Gay Ork Wang 05-12-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 1658047)
Wouldn't this be some ****, since they apparently look the same ...if the ones dad, had sex with both of their moms. They were neighbors, and what if one of the fathers was sterile so he paid the other dad to have sex with his wife.

Edit: side note, what if both the dads then ended up being sterile and the brother was made by another man....

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

brat316 05-12-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1658115)
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

what? what is phone

Brent 05-12-2009 11:14 AM

I agree with addict on this. It wasnt like one grew up impoverished and abused while the other wasnt. They lived rather equal lives and hey guess what? The people that raised them seemed to love them as their own. Are bloodlines really that important?

Brent 05-12-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 1658128)
what? what is phone

he is referencing this:

http://www.gorillafart.com/wp-conten.../who-phone.jpg

FlyingElvis 05-12-2009 11:26 AM

Stop reading stories like this, Nalej. You'll give yourself an aneurysm.

ID tags are affixed before the baby leaves the room these days. lol

I agree w/y'all that the "My life wasn't my life" comment is a bit overdramatic, but this is still pretty screwed up. But not as screwed up as the typical, American style "Big Cash Settlement" will suggest once the lawsuit is done. :rolleyes:

Matthew Jones 05-12-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Ahahahaha. I love that.

Seriously, getting switched at birth would be messed up. I have somewhat different color hair than my parents, haha.

eaglesalltheway 05-12-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

LMAO, I have the sarf flu right now and it hurts to laugh, so you caused me immense pain GOW, but I loved every bit of it...

Shane P. Hallam 05-12-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway (Post 1658401)
you caused me immense pain GOW, but I loved every bit of it...

That what Renji hears every Friday Night.

Gay Ork Wang 05-12-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1658442)
That what Renji hears every Friday Night.

from aq though, so thats different

SuperKevin 05-12-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addict (Post 1657975)
she cried? because what? Her identity, her life, her family all revolves around something as trivial as a last name? DNA? Come on now. Both these women were raised by parents who legitimately believed they were their own.

I'm finding it very very hard to bring up any kind of sympathy here. I don't see the problem. They're still their family, even though genetics say otherwise. They raised, loved and cared for them: that's what makes family. Not your blood.

Only an adopted kid would say that

CJSchneider 05-12-2009 04:30 PM

I've been waiting all day to get home and make this one.

Xonraider 05-12-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 1658637)
I've been waiting all day to get home and make this one.

if you've already figured the picture out:

Gay Ork Wang 05-12-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonraider (Post 1658666)

i hope it was a joke and u really got it :D

TitanHope 05-12-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xonraider (Post 1658666)

I don't see a kid at any of the windows. Just mom and "aunt" Sandra...

Xonraider 05-12-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gay Ork Wang (Post 1658670)
i hope it was a joke and u really got it :D

lol now i did...
awesome

awfullyquiet 05-12-2009 06:08 PM

i did not know that.

really fail into win.