Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Athlete/Coach Encounters (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33856)

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 05-17-2009 11:48 PM

Athlete/Coach Encounters

Today I happened to run into Texas A&M Coach Mike Sherman. His daughter happened to be graduating from St.Norbert College with my girlfriend. Kind of cool to see him there.

Anyone else have any encounters with athletes lately?

YAYareaRB 05-17-2009 11:50 PM

Scott Fujita lives in Carmel Valley and used to work out at my school.

Tony Curtis is my brothers best friend.

Herman Edwards lives down the street from me.

I went to Fili Moala's wedding yesterday.

Cicero 05-17-2009 11:50 PM

I have classes with/walk by quite a few people from various UW sports teams if that counts for anything.

the decider13 05-17-2009 11:51 PM

I'm hoping to run in to Kevin Durant at some point. Every time I see a big Hummer, I assume it is him.

So far, no luck :(

YAYareaRB 05-17-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 1666216)
I have classes with/walk by quite a few people from various UW sports teams if that counts for anything.

Do you know my friend Mason Foster?

JETS5128 05-17-2009 11:54 PM

Stayed at the same hotel as the bucs in philly in 03. Went to the weight room and worked out while Monte Kiffin ran on the treadmill. Checked in right next to Joe Jurevicious

aNYtitan 05-17-2009 11:58 PM

I ran into Emeka Okafor at the driving range. Dude is built like a tank. Don't know if he can drive the ball far though

Cicero 05-18-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YAYareaRB (Post 1666225)
Do you know my friend Mason Foster?

I can't say that I've ever ran into him. The only guys from Cali I've talked to are Darnell Gant, Tyreese Breshers, Justin Holiday, and De'Shon Matthews.

CashmoneyDrew 05-18-2009 12:04 AM

I've met a lot but my most random was quite possibly when I met Latrell Sprewell at a local McDonalds not too long after he choked out Carlisimo(sp?).

Brent 05-18-2009 12:22 AM

Coaches: R.C. Slocum, Billy Gillespie, Mark Turgeon, Dennis Franchione, Mike Sherman

Funny story, I saw Turgeon at Subway, by himself, and he was like, "you guys (I was with a friend) want to join with me?" So, me and my friend sat with him and he talked to us about basketball for like 20 minutes. He was pretty awesome. Slocum apparently goes to the same Subway, near the athletics offices, for lunch like every day.

Players (thanks to classes): Martellus Bennett, Acie Law, Stephen McGee, Donald Sloan, Jerrod Johnson, DeAndre Jordan, Pierre Brown, Jovorskie Lane.

TitanHope 05-18-2009 12:27 AM

I went to a Reggie White football camp when I was younger. Like in elementary school.

I met Kevin Carter when the Titans visited St. Jude's.

Jeff Fisher walked in front of me at the FCS Championship this year (His son plays LB for Montana).

That's it for now. Fish was most recent.

Brent 05-18-2009 12:30 AM

Oh ****, I forgot about Cowboys players:

Chad Hutchinson, Antonio Bryant, Jason Witten, Troy Hambrick, and I forget the others. Some of them always go to Coppell Deli after game days to get breakfast for film meetings.

Hines 05-18-2009 12:46 AM

I met Jason Witten, Jerome Bettis, Adrian Peterson, Steve Smith(Panthers), Braylon Edwards, Vernon Davis, and Chester Taylor.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 05-18-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1666284)
Troy Hambrick

Was that for a conjugal visit? ;)

themaninblack 05-18-2009 01:19 AM

I'm almost positive I saw Tank Johnson at the Zoo recently. I didn't try to talk to him or anything though.

kalbears13 05-18-2009 01:40 AM

I saw Dennis Rodman at a Nordstrom Rack with his wife and kids.

Boston 05-18-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themaninblack (Post 1666307)
I'm almost positive I saw Tank Johnson at the Zoo recently. I didn't try to talk to him or anything though.

Yeah...probably going to stay away from that one...

Race for the Heisman 05-18-2009 01:51 AM

I saw Mike Vrabel when I was visiting with the Ohio State soccer team. The man is massive.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 05-18-2009 01:53 AM

I work as a cashier, and I've seen Daniel Alfreddson, Jason Spezza, Mike Fisher and Jarko Ruutu come through my cash. Also, not me personally but one of my buddies almost fought Ray Emery at a nightclub. Also his hummer is parked near where I work a lot. ALSO SAW TEAM ****** CANADA WJHC BUS when they were in the restaurant next door. Wanted to see PK sooooo bad.

Paul 05-18-2009 02:12 AM

I had English with CJ Miles back in my Jr. and Sr. year in high school. That's about it.

The Dynasty 05-18-2009 02:33 AM

The only athlete encounters I have had outside of Training camps and before a game. Was Marcellus Wiley. He was at a Buffalo Mall when he played for the Bills.

JHG722 05-18-2009 02:39 AM

Most recent was I saw Thaddeus Young at Ruth's Chris a month or so ago.

Kobe was my neighbor growing up.

I know basically everyone on Temple's basketball team pretty well. Dionte was really the only player I havent really talked to much. He's not an unfriendly guy, but he can be kind of a dick. On the flip side, PF Lavoy Allen is the single nicest person I have ever met. I know/talk to some of the football players, but I dont know them as well. I talked to all of the seniors who made the NFL this year. Our KR who signed with the Broncos promised me the first Travis Shelton jersey :P

I used to see Allen Iverson and his fleet of cars when he was with the Sixers. He went to Friday's very often.

Probably a few more, but nothing too great.

Crickett 05-18-2009 03:00 AM

I met Jonathan Vilma at the 2005 nfl draft and I met Greg Buttle at the Jets draft party this year. I got to chat with him face to face about the selection of Mark Sanchez.

fischbowl 05-18-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dynasty (Post 1666327)
The only athlete encounters I have had outside of Training camps and before a game. Was Marcellus Wiley. He was at a Buffalo Mall when he played for the Bills.

Use to see Bills all the time at malls, Galleria a lot and during training camp the East View in Fairport. Some Bills were just great to talk to outside of camp. I had a great, pretty long convo with Brian Moorman when he brought his son to the Bills Experience part of camp.

I've met a few Minnesota Twins and UB Football Players. Torii Hunter, Grant Balfour, Joe Nathan, and Nick Punto are some of the nicest ballplayers you'll ever meet and earlier this year I was talking draft with Drew Willy at some school function the football team was required to be at

cdub11 05-18-2009 08:49 AM

I saw OKC Thunder G Kyle Weaver at Best Buy a couple weeks ago