Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Twitter (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33980)

Shane P. Hallam 05-26-2009 03:16 PM

Twitter

If you have seen my sig, you know that I am now addicted to Twitter.

Anyone else on it? Thoughts? Feelings?

I'll be honest, I was pretty anti-Twitter, it was a head scratcher for me as to why people would use it and what it does. As I was repondering this, I thought, maybe this is that point when I start resisting new fads/technology and become an "old person." So, I tried it out. Did it throughout my trip to New York, and it was fun. It was pretty uplifting to be honest.

It seems to only be getting more popular, so I am enjoying it. Just wondering if anyone else is anti-Twitter/using it themselves?

tjsunstein 05-26-2009 03:18 PM

I'm still in the facebook stage. Isn't twitter the same thing as updating your status on facebook? I don't know, I've never used Twitter...

djp 05-26-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1676122)
If you have seen my sig, you know that I am now addicted to Twitter.

Anyone else on it? Thoughts? Feelings?

I'll be honest, I was pretty anti-Twitter, it was a head scratcher for me as to why people would use it and what it does. As I was repondering this, I thought, maybe this is that point when I start resisting new fads/technology and become an "old person." So, I tried it out. Did it throughout my trip to New York, and it was fun. It was pretty uplifting to be honest.

It seems to only be getting more popular, so I am enjoying it. Just wondering if anyone else is anti-Twitter/using it themselves?

I think it's dumb except for following your favorite athletes/famous people.

Todd Bertuzzi 05-26-2009 03:19 PM

Twitter hasn't really blown up in Canada yet.

tjsunstein 05-26-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi (Post 1676131)
Twitter hasn't really blown up in Canada yet.

Be the one.

brat316 05-26-2009 03:26 PM

you attention ***** Jbond. Why are you telling people everything you do? Worse there are people who want to know what you do?

Yes i'm anti-twitter..i said it.

The Dynasty 05-26-2009 03:27 PM

I use it but I only follow people. I have never used it to say what I am doing.

I am currently following 12 people (Minnesota Vikings, Chip Scoggins (Vikings Writer), Access Vikings from Star Tribune, Chris Mortensen, Rich Eisen, Sidney Rice, Drew Rosenhaus, Judd Zulgad (Vikings Writer), Mark Sanchez, Terrell Owens, Sportscenter and Percy Harvin.

FlyingElvis 05-26-2009 03:36 PM

Social networking . . .

is great when there's a point.

NFL . . . er, I mean SWDC = social networking based on a shared interest. Great stuff. Every forum I frequent is based on something that is a hobby/interest or other social/recreational pastime. I love them. Hell, I'll throw in business networking sites like LinkedIn & Ryze. There's a point - but go beyond that and it gets downright silly.

Facebook, MySpace and sites like it are pointless drivel.

Twitter seems to be of the same ilk. Following the personal lives of atheletes, celebs, or anyone else that closely is . . . disturbing . . . to me.

I don't really care what your **** looked like this morning JBond. Stop trying to update me on your stool.

:D

djp 05-26-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingElvis (Post 1676152)
Social networking . . .

is great when there's a point.

NFL . . . er, I mean SWDC = social networking based on a shared interest. Great stuff. Every forum I frequent is based on something that is a hobby/interest or other social/recreational pastime. I love them. Hell, I'll throw in business networking sites like LinkedIn & Ryze. There's a point - but go beyond that and it gets downright silly.

Facebook, MySpace and sites like it are pointless drivel.

Twitter seems to be of the same ilk. Following the personal lives of atheletes, celebs, or anyone else that closely is . . . disturbing . . . to me.

I don't really care what your **** looked like this morning JBond. Stop trying to update me on your stool.

:D

Facebook isn't pointless drivel at all. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends from high school, geographically distant relatives, and sharing photos. It's lost some of its primary uses with the stupid applications and stuff, but I still really enjoy using it and it's a great time killer

Maybe you just don't have enough friends on there.. ;)

cdub11 05-26-2009 03:44 PM

Im on Twitter, dont get on very often though

tjsunstein 05-26-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp (Post 1676154)
Facebook isn't pointless drivel at all. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends from high school, geographically distant relatives, and sharing photos. It's lost some of its primary uses with the stupid applications and stuff, but I still really enjoy using it and it's a great time killer

Agreed. I use it for the quick Hi's and seeing what people are up to.

Shane P. Hallam 05-26-2009 04:11 PM

I think it all depends what it is used for. I like to think of it as kind of a running online journal. It is nice to do some type of things on there, connect with people and see what is on their mind.

Likewise, you not only update what you are doing, but it is a way for an interaction of what others are doing/thinking.

For example, there are a group of guys doing a Mock Fantasy Football Draft, so I have been commenting on it and interacting with them as they pick.

Likewise, it is something you can easily update as you go. Some of those thoughts you have that are fleeting as time goes on can be documented. Whether people want to know about me or not, I don't care, I am having fun with it :D

locseti 05-26-2009 04:16 PM

Facebook>twitter, but I can see how it is useful for celebs. I actually broke down and got one, I only follow Cassadee Pope from Hey Monday. She is freaking bangin'.

FlyingElvis 05-26-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp (Post 1676154)

Maybe you just don't have enough friends on there.. ;)

lol. I'm the one that everyone keeps asking "how are you not on there?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 1676161)
Agreed. I use it for the quick Hi's and seeing what people are up to.

You are both likely in the very small percentage of people using it for keeping in touch. My fiancee does that with Myspace b/c she lived in Salt Lake for years so it helped her find people again when she moved.

But I'm old school. I have kept in touch with everyone I wanted to keep in touch with. Phones, email, video links on line, etc. - they all work better than a random page that provides little direct interaction.

If we haven't kept in touch by phone, email or any other method then facebook, myspace, or twitter become one more medium where we can lose touch. What's the big deal?

Brent 05-26-2009 04:20 PM

You dont even need to be on twitter to read people's stuff. Just use RSS feeds.

Beans 05-26-2009 04:30 PM

i have a twitter

i mostly use it to follow webcomic artists

themaninblack 05-26-2009 04:32 PM

I think I actually have to make a Twitter account next semester for one of my classes. I am not really looking forward to that, TBH.

Paul 05-26-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1676222)
You dont even need to be on twitter to read people's stuff. Just use RSS feeds.

People still use RSS?

tjsunstein 05-26-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locseti (Post 1676213)
Facebook>twitter, but I can see how it is useful for celebs. I actually broke down and got one, I only follow Cassadee Pope from Hey Monday. She is freaking bangin'.

Barely legal FTW.

jkpigskin 05-26-2009 04:56 PM

i guess you could call me anti-twitter. I dont really have a disgust for it, i just dont see the point of telling the world what you are doing on a 24/7 scale. Im fine with just fb status...
then again, ill probably end up getting one....cross my finger that i dont

kalbears13 05-26-2009 04:58 PM

I have a twitter but I couldn't find anybody so I kinda gave up.

Beans 05-26-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locseti (Post 1676213)

good band d('-'d)

jballa838 05-26-2009 05:09 PM

following you now JBond.

Beans 05-26-2009 05:15 PM

are we sharing twitters now

http://twitter.com/kidcoelacanth

mine ^

princefielder28 05-26-2009 06:03 PM

I'll post my twitter some point soon

www.twitter.com/MommaertsAdam