Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Online Bass Guitar Lessons? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34141)

niel89 06-08-2009 12:50 AM

Online Bass Guitar Lessons?

I have a bass guitar that I mostly mess around with, but I actually want to try some lessons and really learn how to play it. I don't really want to do formal lessons with a music teacher because of time constraints, maybe next spring quarter I'll take a class. I thought online lessons would be a good thing that I could take at my own pace but there is so much crap on the internet I don't know where to start. Does any one know a site that has (preferably free) good online lessons? Thanks in advance.

P.s.: I looked for an old thread and all there was really was an old thread by GRF.

Donno 06-08-2009 12:53 AM

Learn your scales and notes.

http://www.blackbeltguitar.com/

vikes_28 06-08-2009 12:54 AM

I play bass. And its really easy to teach yourself how to play. All you have to know is which strings are which, which sharp notes don't exist, and know the alphabet for A to G. Just look up a full bass tab image on google. See if you can find where the notes are.

If you want to play a song, go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com. Look for a Bass tab option, click on it, and the number on the string is the number fret you put your finger on. Its an uphill battle but once you get playing and learn all the notes, bass guitar is a very fun, and very simple instrument to play.

ChezPower4 06-08-2009 12:55 AM

Try getting Bass tabs on some pretty easy songs. Started playing the guitar about a year ago and did not want to pay for lessons so I just used tabs to learn and it has worked out quite well.

CashmoneyDrew 06-08-2009 01:01 AM

Slappa da bass! I Love You Man

I wish more people around here would pick up a bass. My band needs one and if you ask someone to learn it they get all offended like the bass isn't good enough for them.

Donno 06-08-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey (Post 1689870)

I wish more people around here would pick up a bass. My band needs one and if you ask someone to learn it they get all offended like the bass isn't good enough for them.

Haha I know my friend plays guitar and I was like dude you should pick up my bass and he was like nah Ill just play my guitar.

CashmoneyDrew 06-08-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donno (Post 1689872)
Haha I know my friend plays guitar and I was like dude you should pick up my bass and he was like nah Ill just play my guitar.

Dude, exactly. Me and a couple of my friends have drums and the two guitar spots on lock so we asked our other friend to learn bass and he was like, "Nah man, I wanna play guitar." The only problem is he doesn't know how to play guitar either so he's not in a spot to really negotiate that. :/

vikes_28 06-08-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey (Post 1689876)
Dude, exactly. Me and a couple of my friends have drums and the two guitar spots on lock so we asked our other friend to learn bass and he was like, "Nah man, I wanna play guitar." The only problem is he doesn't know how to play guitar either so he's not in a spot to really negotiate that. :/

Thats cause everyone these days either wants to play drums or sing or play guitar. Bass has been forgotton about! Thats why I decided to start playing.

niel89 06-08-2009 02:06 AM

I'd rather play bass than guitar. My fingers are a little big and I like the bass of the bass (lol) better.

Donno 06-08-2009 03:01 AM

Dude I like Les Claypool over many guitarists that people would say are "badass"

fenikz 06-08-2009 03:15 AM

i play both bass and guitar

j05son 06-08-2009 03:38 AM

I can play the drums. I have a Pacific by DW kit surrounded by Zildjians.

Paranoidmoonduck 06-08-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_29 (Post 1689861)
which sharp notes don't exist

Which where those again?

The bass is easy to pick up without instruction, at least compared to most other instruments. Unless you're seeking to play a certain style, whatever works best for you will be pretty well accepted. Just flip through your music collection for some songs with repeating basslines that you like. Learn those by ear (it's quicker and a vastly more useful way to use your time than learning the theory first) and then once you have some basics down, go back and pick out the basic theory pieces you'll need (basic note names, structure of scales, and probably some harmonization stuff, but that can come probably come a little later).

Oh, and nothing beats practice. It's not a complicated instrument, just give it the time and you'll be decent soon enough.

Brent 06-08-2009 08:32 AM

I play bass. Easiest way to learn is to start with tabs, and, like Donno said, learn your scales.

Shane P. Hallam 06-08-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 1689907)
i play both bass and guitar

Can we see a picture of this?

TimD 06-08-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donno (Post 1689903)
Dude I like Les Claypool over many guitarists that people would say are "badass"

Addict 06-08-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1690059)
Can we see a picture of this?

Shane P. Hallam 06-08-2009 01:21 PM

Ummm, I am asking for a picture of fenikz playing the guitar!

Addict 06-08-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1690175)
Ummm, I am asking for a picture of fenikz playing the guitar!

You know what picture that's gonna be.

ChezPower4 06-08-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey (Post 1689870)

I've messed around with a bass a few times and thought it was cool and fun. I guess people get offended because the Bass is not a glorified as playing the guitar or the drums.

vikes_28 06-08-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck (Post 1689921)
Which where those again?

A, B, D, and E Don't have sharps. Only morons call a B flat, A#. D# is the same as E flat. So i guess they exist, but they are rarely called that. So B and E are the only ones that don't exist, and if you wanna call B flat, A# then go for it, but if your in a band, people will look at you like your ********. Already been down that road...

awfullyquiet 06-08-2009 02:33 PM

i play bass.

what i find funny is that guitarists who are good immediately think they can pick up the bass and 'rock at it'.

there's about 100x more to bass playing than playing notes... it's about proper intonation at the start... and then it comes as not only being a rhythmic instrument, but as a harmonic and melodic driving instrument...

bass players are not failed guitarists... lets put that way...

4 strings != easier to play... sure it's pretty easy to pick up... but so is guitar... the real nuance is in building songs.

Vikes99ej 06-08-2009 02:47 PM

I like playing bass in Rock Band!

dolphinfan2k5 06-08-2009 02:52 PM

Ultimate Guitar also has good bass lessons aside from tabs.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/

CashmoneyDrew 06-08-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes99ej (Post 1690270)
I like playing bass in Rock Band!

That's child's play. Try playing guitar and singing at the same time with a make-shift mic stand! It's heaps of fun!